Author Topic: New highway code  (Read 2134 times)

ACE

• Hectare
New highway code
« on: October 01, 2007, 17:07:55 »
Now that all the dust has settled over the no smoking rule in the new highway code. It is reassuring to know that the braking distances are still the same as they were when they were set in 1955

Apart from Trixiebelle's  P100 pickup ;D all modern cars should stop in half that distance.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: New highway code
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 17:21:32 »
So how come we still keep crashing into each other? My part of the M1 closed again this afternoon!
 :-[

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 22:28:20 »
I just bought a new copy last week. Learning for my HGV!. How gutted am I. :(
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 10:29:18 »
So how come we still keep crashing into each other? My part of the M1 closed again this afternoon!

Because they are driven by modern drivers, who haven't improved since 1955. 

In fact, in some cases one might suggest that all of the mechanical improvements in safety have led to more care-free/careless driving attitudes - we've all heard the story about the bloke that buys his Mrs a hossing gurt chelsea-tractor to do the school run because it's less trouble than having her learn to drive properly/safely. 

(note - just using this as an example: I'm not saying that women drivers are any worse or better than male ones).

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 10:29:43 »
So how come we still keep crashing into each other?

Because people drive too bludy close! Also, the car in front can stop as twice as quickly as it used to. So you need a bigger gap than before. Hang on, that doesn't make sense... Plus I can't help notice that about half the time I pass a crash, there's a lorry there... often with non UK plates.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 10:40:25 »

Because nobody as any regard for the HC or there fellow drivers, everybody seems to have a "up yours" attitude now days.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 15:30:39 »
Should I be happy that I haven't learnt to drive?
Could do with better public transport though.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 16:17:52 »
and closed again....

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 16:26:10 »
When I'm on a dual carriageway/motorway and about to overtake a lorry in the other lane I always check for foreign plates before I go along side them as the foreign ones don't look properly before pulling out and they will pull out on top of you. Mind you so do some of the UK ones especially car transporters.

OllieC on our local roads it's much more than half the time that a lorry is involved it's more like 90% and it's the smaller vehicle that comes off worse or most recently here the cyclist.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 16:30:16 »
So how come we still keep crashing into each other?
Because people drive too bludy close! Also, the car in front can stop as twice as quickly as it used to. So you need a bigger gap than before.

because my car is old and the brakes aren't as efficient as those on a brand new car I always leave loads of room to brake between me and the car in front, but inevitably some idiot overtakes me and squeezes into the space I've left >:(

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 19:20:31 »
I haven't seen the new HC. And possibly slightly off topic, but where have everyone's manners gone?

I drive a Landrover County, and its quite amazing how many people 'jump' out in front of me then drive at a ridiculously slow speed.

For my part, I let cars in and out of roads also buses and taxi's. I hate the attitude of most 4x4 drivers and truck drivers......most(not all thankfully) have an arrogant BIG VEHICLE mentality.

But there are those in cars who are also very selfish on the road if not downright stupid.

[/quote]because my car is old and the brakes aren't as efficient as those on a brand new car I always leave loads of room to brake between me and the car in front, but inevitably some idiot overtakes me and squeezes into the space I've left >:(
[/quote]

Exactly..........
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 11:10:06 »
It's got so bad that when I come across a considerate and competent driver I feel like congratulating them and giving them a prize!

I had to wait an extra 15 mins in the supermarket car park a couple of weeks ago stuck in my parking space while the two people who wanted my space exchanged details, after their accident caused by them both trying to get the parking space. Incidentally I was having trouble getting out because they were in the way!

I also like to drive with a decent space in front of me, mainly so i've also got enough stopping distance for the HGV sitting on my bumper!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal