Author Topic: Allotments in Brandon Suffolk  (Read 7090 times)

digswell

• Not So New ...
Allotments in Brandon Suffolk
« on: September 23, 2007, 20:57:03 »
Hi all, I am moving to Brandon in Suffolk soon, want to get a lottie there or nearby as the garden we are going to is rather small. I have found out that there are no council lotties in Brandon, does anyone know of any private or church land ones in the area that I can apply to?  ???

Emma K

• Not So New ...
    • Losing The Plot
Re: Allotments in Brandon Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 19:31:52 »
I do not know of any in Brandon but know people who live there who might know, if not there are allotments in Lakenheath and Thetford, neither of which is far away but wou would have to drive there.

Emma

www.losingtheplot.blogspot.com
I like wine food and gardening...

My allotment blog www.losingtheplot.blogspot.com

ginger-root

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 21:00:13 »
Hi I am living in Brandon and have been fighting to get the council to provide allotments now for 6 or 7 years. They have just decided to provide them, BUT: they are on the flood plain by the river, we will not be allowed to have sheds, keep chucks etc., They tried to level and plough the ground yesterday and the machines sank to below their axles. as did the one that went to pull it out. a third bigger one was used in the end. the area is a well know secluded area used by drug adicts etc. and is next to the river locks which have a vandalism history in the last ten years amounting to many thousands of pounds.
The councillor who arranged all this says in the paper that he has many years experience of allotments without a shed. and that the water table when he measured it was a metre below the surface.
After a mornings rain a week ago I measured the table and it was actualy higher than the water lkevel of the river the other side of the river banking.

If you want an allotment in Thetford you have to prove residence there. and Lakenheath have just cut their allotments in half to buil,d houses.

I dont want to disilusion you but our local council are the laughging stock of East Anglia. Thats why I came off of it. I and a couple of others were banging our heads against a wall to no effect.
I have a photo of the machines on the allotment if anyone is interested.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 21:06:05 »
sounds like you've had a rough deal, ginger-root  :(
by the way, welcome to the site  :)

ginger-root

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 21:28:57 »
Thanx for the welcome. I  am still fighting and waiting for them to provide the proper facilities. then I am goint to insist on wheelchair access for my powerchair. LOL. :)

debjay

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 07:02:19 »

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:28:00 »
go for it, ginger-root..we're in the process of making our plot accessible , raised beds and wide paths, you'll need wide access toilets as well, really go for them..hope you get there  ;D

ginger-root

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 17:21:48 »
Latest on the allotments in brandon is that the councillor in charge has stated that the field will dry out before it is needed and that ir is only the top that is wet.
A member suggested that we could grow rice and the councillor says that rice wouldn't grow there.
I suggested that the councillor got a bit mixed up when told that water would have to be laid onto the allotments, and I think he mistook it for the allotments must be laid on to the water >LOL/
I supose we could all grow watercress.
Will try to upload a picky of the initial ploughing.
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/baronweetman/?action=view&current=picture8.jpg

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/baronweetman/?action=view&current=picture9.jpg

Mama-mia

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 17:36:59 »
Don't

Mama-mia

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 18:10:32 »
It is about time councils at Town and District level took note of the public will and need, particularly over this issue which has been simmering, nay raging, for years in Brandon. It would appear that the site is on a flood plane, has this been checked by any official body? It also appears that this is on a Playing Field, which, from research shows that this Field is for Leisure purposes.

What sort of access is there to be for disabled people? What are the storage facilities of tools etc. Is there "clean" water available in a bowser to irregate the land, or are the council relying on the land being flooded by the river that is contaminated.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 18:49:00 »
hiya, mama-mia, nice to meet you  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal