Author Topic: Butternut squash question  (Read 944 times)

thegamwellsmythes

Butternut squash question
« on: September 27, 2007, 13:59:36 »
We have two butternut squash plants outside that have lots of tiny squashes and some flowers on them. Will they ripen now? Should we pull off some of the flowers and the little ones to give the bigger ones a better chance?

Any advice gratefully received!

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Re: Butternut squash question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 14:21:10 »
Mine were a complete waste of time this year but by now I would think that the westher is getting too cold to ripen all the flowers not matter where you are!

To favour the existing forming fruit at the expense of new flowers seems a good idea.  However if your weather is mild still you could always try surrounding the plant with a poly wall to exclude the cold winds and add some reflective kind of material to speed up the ripening process???

And place the fruit on tiles or bricks to keep them off the damp ground and also to aid ripening .

When you do cut them, cut a bit of the vine off too ... like a T piece ... makes them easy to carry and also to hang up in storage  ;)

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 15:48:13 »
hiya and welcome to the site..we've covered our butternuts with fleece, they seem to have doubled in size with all the rain this week..we're going to try leaving them in 'til the frosts  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 19:30:45 »
thought I'd stick a piccy on, we've taken the ends off the pieces with squash on  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal