Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 875535 times)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5700 on: March 22, 2012, 17:58:35 »
sown my pumpkins and courgettes,some sunflowers and my sweetcorn

my sweet peas and morning glory have all germinated so need to get the wigwams prepared  ;D

put off planting my spuds untill monday as i can plant my onion sets at the same time then having more time

Gaz - isn't it a bit early for sweetcorn?
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5701 on: March 22, 2012, 18:26:20 »
Not indoors.    :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5702 on: March 22, 2012, 18:49:26 »
Looked under the cloche and found the swift potatoes showing  ;D
transplanted a couple of raspberry canes that had travelled across the bed, watered all the little seedlings that have come up and removed 4 small slugs that had set up home in them  ;D

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #5703 on: March 22, 2012, 18:59:02 »
Mulched strawberries.
Planted spuds!  ;D
Went for a swim - arms aching like heck, now elbow hurts too (think I may have broken it in a fall last year - not just bruised it).  Cuppa soon and early night methinks!
I love the way my lottie helps keep me fit!  ::)
Grow yer bugger grow!

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #5704 on: March 22, 2012, 19:59:41 »
sown my pumpkins and courgettes,some sunflowers and my sweetcorn

my sweet peas and morning glory have all germinated so need to get the wigwams prepared  ;D

put off planting my spuds untill monday as i can plant my onion sets at the same time then having more time

Gaz - isn't it a bit early for sweetcorn?

in the greenhouse,i should have stated that  :)..

popped in after work to have a bonfire,its only allowable in march or november so needed to get in sorted.was as late as possible and fully extinguished as i left but no doubt il have a complaint from a neighbour of the alotments,just like every year ::)

watered my seedlings and thats about it

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5705 on: March 22, 2012, 20:30:55 »
Prepared soil for peas at the weekend
Watered seedlings
Gave the rhubarb a good feed
 ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5706 on: March 22, 2012, 20:34:50 »
Tomorrow I'm off to the plot...... but today:

cut four lawns, planted strawberry plants, nattered to relatives who visited my parents, did a big pile of washing as well as sorting out lunch & dinner but still haven't had mine.  ::)

Escaping on Friday!!

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5707 on: March 22, 2012, 22:22:50 »
Planted sweet peas, Linda C  :D, watered both plots, nabbed a couple of weeds and picked some PSB.

What a lovely sunny day  :)

Ninnys

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5708 on: March 22, 2012, 22:30:53 »
I am off to my plot tomorrow ;D

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5709 on: March 23, 2012, 19:22:25 »
Planted some onion sets. I'm still recovering from a nasty bug and I struggled.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5710 on: March 23, 2012, 19:45:06 »
Took the afternoon off and dashed to the plot... the joys of being self employed.. Started the strawberry bed for my plants I grew on from runners on my roof top garden..  manured, fertilized and started digging - removing all the roots which takes loads of time but worth doing it properly to start with.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5711 on: March 23, 2012, 19:52:35 »
I planted out some chitted broad beans and peas  covered with bottle cloches to keep the deer and voles off them.   Dug up my ration of 100 weeds.  Did a bit of hoeing the fat hen is already getting going.  Dug four holes and filled them with compost for courgettes. 

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #5712 on: March 23, 2012, 20:23:11 »
My OH and I took our 3yr grandaughter over the lotty,I was chasing butterflies and looking for mamalade the magic cat? made a house for a ladybird  ;D Then I came up with a good game called pick out the runner bean seeds from the dried pods i'd saved last yr ,that lasted all of ten mins but i got a wee bit of weeding done, I did ask if my wee darling would if shed like to help me weed, and was told NO am a wee bit tired Nan weres my doddy, am going to sunbath! coulden't stop laughing, ;D got nothing done but had a laugh O H did plant spuds while answering a hundred questions  :D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5713 on: March 23, 2012, 20:44:57 »
Finished off the fruith cage, sowed my pea's replanted most off the onions, back up there on Sunday with mi air rifle,

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5714 on: March 23, 2012, 20:47:26 »
Ate my sandwiches, tried to light a bonfire but it was smoking, and scared of nasty lady that lives in the garden backing onto the allotments, and she had her washing out, so did a lot of seiving, and got backache, planted carrots and beetroot, put fleece over carrots.  Spoke to two lovely dogs, and gave one a big cuddle, he has his walks before allotment and then tied to tree.  Good dog.   As digging had two episodes of 'being here before' dejou ve or whatever, and got a bit scared and had been working for 5 hours, so thought it was time to go home.  It was really strange, leaned down and smelt the earth, and two people came into my mind, then in a flash it was  gone, it happened twice today, and thought perhaps I am not too well, better go home.  The sun was shining so pehaps I got a touch of the sun.  I just wish I could remember the memories, and it was like a camera, the smells reminded me and then I felt a bit strange and the memories had gone.  Have cooked the first rubard tonight. Think I had better go to bed. Happy dreams.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5715 on: March 24, 2012, 09:11:04 »
Ate my sandwiches, tried to light a bonfire but it was smoking, and scared of nasty lady that lives in the garden backing onto the allotments, and she had her washing out, so did a lot of seiving, and got backache, planted carrots and beetroot, put fleece over carrots.  Spoke to two lovely dogs, and gave one a big cuddle, he has his walks before allotment and then tied to tree.  Good dog.   As digging had two episodes of 'being here before' dejou ve or whatever, and got a bit scared and had been working for 5 hours, so thought it was time to go home.  It was really strange, leaned down and smelt the earth, and two people came into my mind, then in a flash it was  gone, it happened twice today, and thought perhaps I am not too well, better go home.  The sun was shining so pehaps I got a touch of the sun.  I just wish I could remember the memories, and it was like a camera, the smells reminded me and then I felt a bit strange and the memories had gone.  Have cooked the first rubard tonight. Think I had better go to bed. Happy dreams.

I know those feelings well - relax. Sounds to me as if they were probably good memories buried deep.  ;)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5716 on: March 24, 2012, 14:15:28 »
Weeded round my raspberries and divided one big clump. Mulched them with spent hops. Did a bit more digging/weeding, although it felt as if I was just lifting the wet stuff underneath to the top so that it will dry out, which can't be good?

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #5717 on: March 24, 2012, 14:59:11 »
I sowed some Swallow peas,Early Nantes carrots and Ishikara spring onions closely watched by the cat who now has more places to dig. ;D

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #5718 on: March 24, 2012, 16:40:06 »
Harvested, PSB, kale, leeks and rhubarb. (Price of Rhubarb on Tesco and Waitrose websites £10/kg!!!!)
Made Rhubarb and Ginger, & Rhubarb and Blueberry Jam.
Had this week of work so got most of the spuds planted.
Transplanted some onion seedlings and summer sprouting brocolli.
Sowed Broad Beans, Tall and dwarf peas.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5719 on: March 24, 2012, 18:47:31 »
Ray sowed the first of the tall peas in milk cartons, I transplanted lots of flowers for the plant sale and labelled them all. Watered everything that needed it and moved all the cabbage, calabrese and cauli plants outside to slow them down a bit  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal