Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 885597 times)

JENIAN

• Half Acre
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5740 on: March 27, 2012, 17:00:26 »
Planted 'White lady' runners in toilet roll tubes.  Sowed 'Hurst greenshaft' peas in home made paper pots and an old variety that grows to 5' tall.  Prepared outdoor seed bed and netting.

Ian ;)

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #5741 on: March 27, 2012, 20:03:51 »
Planted out my potatoes and onions.onions needed to go out as they were getting rootbound indoors.

Made and stained a raised bed,one of three needed.will build the others tomorrow.

Sowed leeks and peas indoors,and watered everything else.The toms have started showing themselves  ;D

Fine dug a bed for carrots,the soil isnt great for carrots so will include plenty of sand before sowing.

Good day  :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 20:32:10 by gaz2000 »

Twinklekat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5742 on: March 27, 2012, 20:34:10 »
A couple more hours spent on the plot after work. More double digging, a continuation of the war with the weeds and a brew.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5743 on: March 27, 2012, 22:41:26 »
Got a bunch more digging done... plot one will be finished on Friday evening if I get the same amount of time after work the next few days... PLot 2 doesn't need much more anyway so should be done over the weekend... then to get the rotavator fired up adn put the spuds in....

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #5744 on: March 28, 2012, 18:15:59 »
WE   went to the lotty 10-30am loaded with water butt, tools, plants,picnic ;D put in cabbages ,salad seeds, hoed ,OH bilut stand for the water butts ,dug out more strawberrys and at long last we got or water turned on,also got burnt by the wonderful sun. ;DA very good days work ;)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5745 on: March 28, 2012, 19:25:17 »
Potted on Yellow Bell Peppers
Weeded and watered
15 out of 20 Sweetcorn up
 ;D 8)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5746 on: March 29, 2012, 14:07:02 »
Due to pre-arranged late start at work I got up the plot for a shade over an hour first thing. Dug out a bit more than half of what was left on plot 1 to do.... hopefully that means Friday evening sees the end of the digging on there and I can start pushing manure around for the potato beds... Nipped home on way to work (to change boots and trousers) and opened up the GH and checked watering levels....

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #5747 on: March 29, 2012, 15:45:26 »
I know what i'll be doing tomorrow!
I forgot to order some Jersey Royal seeds this year so told myself i'd make do with what I had UNLESS I found some locally!  SO - I went into a newly opened GC and what were slap bang in front of me as I walked in?  Yep!  ....seems like i have more spuds to plant !!!   ;D
Grow yer bugger grow!

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #5748 on: March 29, 2012, 16:48:37 »
Watered and chatted
17 out of 20 sweetcorn up
My Corn, Tommies, Cucs and Peppers are all basking in the Sun in the back garden as we speak.
 8) 8) 8)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5749 on: March 29, 2012, 17:17:10 »
Checked the greenhouses and put in some spuds... but I was out at work until 3pm...  :-\

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5750 on: March 30, 2012, 13:39:20 »
Quite chilly today but having spent most of yesterday throwing up and not going into work last night i needed some air. So wrapped up made a mug of tea and had a potter around the garden.

My tree Lillies are all starting to pop there heads above the soil and my bramley apple tree is in flower :)

Painted roundup onto the nettles (which now have pretty deep purple and pale yellow flowers) and other weeds i can see i am hoping to dig things over in the next few days and i though weakening some of these weeds 1st is a good plan :)

Planted up all the perennial plants i had delivered and the 3 Buddleja 'Buzz plants i got for a penny :)
sowed next batch of sweetpeas
Have started to move things back into winter protection for the forecast dip in temp and potential of snow.

Tidied up a little hubbie is going to cut the grass Saturday and give everything a good soaking with the hose before the ban kicks in :)

Working next 2 nights so not going to get a chance to get much more done now till sunday

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5751 on: March 30, 2012, 21:52:18 »
Didn't quite finish the digging but got close....  Need to get a rotavator running so I can turn in all the manure I have in heaps....

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #5752 on: March 31, 2012, 16:32:53 »
Planted another line of Kestrels
Watered plot
Weeded and dug up Strawberrys and transplanted in back garden
Sowed Tigerella's and Sungold.
 ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5753 on: March 31, 2012, 17:11:40 »
Covered the two lady chrytl spuds that had reared their heads in the polytunnel  ;D

JENIAN

• Half Acre
« Reply #5754 on: March 31, 2012, 18:00:10 »
Supervised & dug two wells on our allotment for my mates.  Dug 2 trenches for spuds. Covered the plantlets in the unheated greenhouses with bubble wrap, ready for the frosts, sleet & snow :'(.  Happy Easter everybody ;D.

Ian

Twinklekat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5755 on: March 31, 2012, 18:11:38 »
We made 2 raised beds, managed to get loads of good quality compost out of the heap we inherited with the plot despite triffids that have grown in it, a bit of double digging, wood chipped some of the new paths and came home shattered   ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5756 on: March 31, 2012, 18:23:47 »
ALmost made it through the digging on plot one... only came home cos I needed another cuppa, realised it was getting late and I need to sort out stuff in GH so won't be going back to plot tonight... hopefully early night tonight adn I can finish off plot one tomorrow....

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5757 on: March 31, 2012, 19:33:17 »
Got the last of the spuds in... apart from some going into a dustbin. Weeded the asparagus bed as it is beginning to show spears..  :)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5758 on: March 31, 2012, 21:07:16 »
Mamoth all dayer.. got to the plot at 9 and left at 6.. planted 11 rows of spuds 165 tubers...
3 rows to go tomorrow.. Digging deep to remove all the horrors before I plant so very slow progress.. then still got to ridge them all up..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5759 on: March 31, 2012, 21:53:15 »
Been out and picked up rubbish its cold and windy :( Needed to get some sleep so time very limited.

tonight is my last night at work this week so when i finish at 7am tomorrow morning i am going to grab some sleep then hit the garden :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal