Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 877279 times)

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #2460 on: May 25, 2009, 23:57:43 »
yday i only sunbathed,all day.went round everyone with sun lotion and forgot to do myself,idiot,think ive got away with it but am quite red. today painted the table for the new communal hut,dug a few weeds out of a plot whose owner is in hospital,entertained friends who visited with a lovely lemon cake (thanks tabs!) and weeded the onions,gave them a feed. quite a lot of larking round chatting too,lovely day!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2461 on: May 26, 2009, 08:58:16 »
After a month of working full time I've been madly tryingto catch up with everything this weekend- luckily have today off as well. Spent 4 hours at the plot yesterday, mainly weeding but also planted out my French beans, a few brassicas and a few sweet peas and sowed some more carrots. Then went home and potted up aubergines into black buckets (noticed greenfly has started  :(), courgettes and squash, PSB, sowed some sunflowers and planted out some verbena and penstemons.
Back down to the pot today to carry on the battle with the bindweed and couch  >:(

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #2462 on: May 26, 2009, 12:58:44 »
Postscript to my mega stint on the lottie. Woke up this morning and legs  covered in itchy midge bites.............breaking out the antihistamine cream  :'(. I won't be able to wear shorts or skirts for a week - so hope it doesn't get too hot.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2463 on: May 26, 2009, 19:50:53 »
Sowed some peas in the gaps.
Potted some strawberry runners.
Harvested spuds.  :P
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2464 on: May 26, 2009, 20:02:13 »
last year I sowed sweet william and Wallflower straight in to the ground as I usually do. marshalls seed and they didnt germinate. This year have grown them in seed trays and today I planted the wallflowers out into a spare place on the plot. Planted out 3 more cauli's. Planted anthirunum under the fruit trees to add a bit of colour. Also planted out the poppies  I had raised in the GH. Have to do it that way cos we have loads of red poppies on our plot that take over. Helped daughter Bunjy to put a fence up to keep the dogs off the plot.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2465 on: May 26, 2009, 22:50:03 »
sowed some swede and khol rabi, harvested the last of the winter grown lettuce little gem.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #2466 on: May 26, 2009, 23:20:44 »
 :) dug out a new bed and lined with wood, planted loads of runner bean plants up wigwams Mr blackbird sat in my wheelbarrow waiting to dive on the worms i dug up but refused to have his photo taken , planted more strawberry runners, planted purple globe artichokes grown from seed,

was given lots more wood and a table for my shed by my mate Harold (88 years young, got more energy than I have)

going to make a water feature tomorrow ;D/ shades x
grow your own way

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2467 on: May 28, 2009, 18:57:32 »
watered toms and leeks planted out two varieties of sweetcorn filled the water butts had a hoeing session which I can now do without help, ;)   

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2468 on: May 28, 2009, 19:42:36 »
Tony mended a puncture on the wheelbarrow tyre and helped Daughter Bunjy to put a net over her Sprout plants. I put the runners in and planted the Cherokee trail of tears beans Mowed the paths and watered. All in all agood day
                             I want em saying

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2469 on: May 28, 2009, 20:53:46 »
weeded weeded weeded,admired the woodpeckers who have nested in a tree over our heads,heard their babies squeaking for the first time! sowed more brassicas ,back up style. photgraphed husband finish the last of the reglazing job.all reclaimed glass in our second greenhouse. sat in the sun filling out funding forms. all in all spent 7 hours up there,was determined to only be there fr a couple,oh well,will be stuck back in college next week so i dont care
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2470 on: May 28, 2009, 21:12:15 »
Admired the flowers on the peas and beans

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2471 on: May 28, 2009, 21:15:44 »
I admired the pea and bean flowers

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2472 on: May 28, 2009, 21:22:43 »
T I put the runners in and planted the Cherokee trail of tears beans

Same here :)  And...put in more PSB, Romanesco, iceberg lettuce, chinese cabbage, rebuilt squash house with recycled polycarbonate as plastic blew to bits the other night and then planted Hunter squash , planted Pea Beans with OH cutting lot of hazel pea sticks/poles, took cuttings, repotted 5 orchids, repotted Frangipani, sowed more wallflowers, watered loads of begonias and other plants
Watched goldfinch chick get  fed by parent
Life doesn't get much better than this  :)
Jackie

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2473 on: May 29, 2009, 19:50:59 »
Lifted the enviromesh in double quick time to get the flowerheads off the garlic before the leek moth got in.Netted the strawberries. Sowed the maincrop carrots TeeGee style. Going to cover them tomorrow cos ower Tone didn't have all the bits he needed to make the frame. Helped our daughter Bunjy to put the netting over the mange tout to stop the darned pigeons eating them. Tied the sweet peas in. Glad they are getting a bit higher up the canes. Don't give me back such gip. they have started throwing 4 flowerheads now so less work picking the 3's off. So hot today had me straw hat on.lol Talk about Gertie Jeykll
                             I want em saying

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #2474 on: May 30, 2009, 12:29:24 »
Went down to the lottie this beautiful morning after a week away in Finland and Estonia. Amazing growth in such a short time.  Everything surviving and flourishing, apart from some cut and come again salad that's gone to seed.  Very pleased that the tomatoes growing through the ring culture method are doing well (bottomless pots sunk in wet gravel; roots draw up water through capillary action).  Harvested some broad beans and spuds. Lots of weeding to do this afternoon.  Garden also looking very lush and colourful.
Keep Calm and Carry On

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2475 on: May 30, 2009, 20:57:14 »
Out most of the day but managed to get all my cosmos and dahlias out of the coldframe and into pots so got an empty coldframe for the next lot now. Hope to get to the lottie tomorrow.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2476 on: May 30, 2009, 21:08:53 »
planted cosmos daisies,watered a friends greenhouse(dislocated shoulder)pulled up kohl rabi, it was swamping the beetroot, which we much prefer.watered friends tomatoes (away in his caravan)sowed radish where the kohl rabi were.checked friends greenhouse(she was gardening at home today)  planted out celery,pulled up another two caulis their demise due to nasty little cabbage root fly note to self must make collars for sprouts etc.and finally one of the best parts of the lottie chatted with friends 8) 8) 8)
sanity is overated

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2477 on: May 31, 2009, 19:46:09 »
weeded weeded, weeded oh and weeded did i mention weeded!!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2479 on: May 31, 2009, 20:00:40 »
Finished netting the strawberry's. Sowed some more beetroot.Potted up some PSB cos we aint got room yet, Planted out a few more squash. Cooked hot dogs for the grandkids.Planted the coco sophie that an A4A memeber sent me. It's all going to be saved for seed.Planted Hyacinths beans,
                             I want em saying

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal