Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 882473 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5460 on: February 04, 2012, 20:36:19 »
My only chance to go to the lot tie this week, so braved the freezing temp to go and clear up a bit as the ground was frozen solid! Decided to hard prune the willows as they were getting pretty big and wouldn't suffer being done in the cold. They look a lot tidier now, plus I have a load of cuttings as a result to replant.... Lasted 2 hours before I lost the feeling in my legs and came home to warm up!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5461 on: February 05, 2012, 10:24:50 »
Looks like snowman later.  :P
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5462 on: February 05, 2012, 10:56:13 »
Its been a long morning back and for the greenhouse, should I have sown seed so early ??? :-\ trying to keep a happy mediem between a little bit of sun shine  8) and my electic bill  :( is thawing a bit but it looks like its more the same tonight ;D
m j gravell

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5463 on: February 05, 2012, 12:32:30 »
Not much in this part of the world but we went over to Anstey Nursery yesterday and bought my seed spuds they had well over 40 varieties, also my broad beans and some more garlic seed which was sold by the kilo, :)

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #5464 on: February 05, 2012, 13:03:11 »
A shift at the allotment shop which consisted of path clearing,heaving frozen bags of sand and about 3 customers.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5465 on: February 05, 2012, 13:30:13 »
Shovelled snow - 6 inches - then shovelled snow at mil's place.  OH is clearing the conservatory roof and the pea and lettuce seedlings love the extra light.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5466 on: February 05, 2012, 17:40:04 »
Planted some chillie seeds and found out afterwards they are sweet peppers...  :(
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #5467 on: February 05, 2012, 19:39:45 »
Took a walk over the allotments this afternoon and took photos, lots of blackbirds about eating the 'crab apples' on the trees in the wildlife area, all the Cotoneaster berries have now gone.
At home, checked the sweet pea seedlings in the greenhouse, also checked the broad bean seeds which are germinating on damp kitchen roll and awaiting planting into pots.  Topped up the bird food on the feeders, put out a dish of 'cat food biscuits soaked in water to make them soft' for the blackbirds (who were there before I'd returned to the house) and put out a dish of water for the birds

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5468 on: February 05, 2012, 19:56:19 »
Well nothing in the garden and no allotment but did spend 2 hours helping neighbours dig themselves and there cars out and then fell asleep :) Harriet hates the snow and husband has a cold so left them indoors and i got lots of fresh air. Not amazingly cold and its melting nicely so lots of salt down tonight.

Having a PJ day tomorrow !!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5469 on: February 06, 2012, 00:40:43 »
A lovely day here,10 degrees,very sunny, almost like Spring and no rain for almost a week so we went over and looked at our new plot next door to the other two, did a bit of measuring for wood ,and a bit of planning.. I should add John did the work, I was the seated  cheerleader and pencil pusher but still it was good to get out..first time since New Years Day.

A good day.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5470 on: February 07, 2012, 16:06:36 »
Found my cat "incubating" my seeds in the spare room windowsill today so had to take a pic... also got my Early spuds in their chitting trays..

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5471 on: February 07, 2012, 16:32:25 »
Did a few odd jobs  in the greenhouse, a lot of flower seeds sown. Most of the cabbages, caulis swedes all doing well they can go out end of march local school will have all the spares. Got some new hand tools from home bargins yesterday O/H went shoping said to me you know what you have not done for ages  I give her one of my best smiles , and she says  (cleaned the bloody windows ) ;D
m j gravell

compostbin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5472 on: February 07, 2012, 17:04:11 »
 :o......my plot is just 5 Min's walk away,...but as i'me disabled,...i can walk,...just not far,..anymore,..so,....just gotton a motorbillity scooter,.....too,.......have cognitive impairment ,........which often causes thinking problems,...so,..on using my scooter,...to go to my plot,.......to put a compost caddy full,...into one of the 3 compostbins........got stuck in the snow,.....which wouldn't stop wheelspinning,........took just under an hour,...to get home,...only just managed to get it out,... :-[.......thought,........i might not manage to get home, roll on,...the end of the dangerous situations,...of this winter,.....& planting time,.... ;D

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #5473 on: February 07, 2012, 17:33:56 »
Plot's still under snow :(  But my new engine for the rotavator came today :) so spent a couple of hrs swapping them over, just need some dry/ warmer days to try it out now..

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5474 on: February 07, 2012, 17:51:06 »
Potted up my new fruit bushes
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #5475 on: February 07, 2012, 18:22:37 »
Raspberry canes came in the post today all i need  is for the snow to clear off now >:(

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5476 on: February 07, 2012, 20:32:50 »
I escaped to the plot leaving my parents in the capable hands of a new carer!!!!

3 years of waiting for a whole afternoon has paid off. I didn't have to clock watch very much at all so I set off after having bought their newspaper, hung out their washing, nattered, explained what they would have for lunch, made a cup of tea and vanished......

I finshed filling my bean trench with 6 barrow loads of compost, recovered it with soil which was beautifully friable.

Next I cleared up around the last year's newly planted blackberries and added two large bags of well rotted stable manure. I have readied the space for the sweet peas and covered it with glass to heat the soil (when we get some more sun).

I wandered home unhurriedly with a bag of baby (sized) leeks from what had been a very late planting into the potato patch.

By 4:30 the chill had set in (to me) and, although the ice on the water butt remained throughout the day, I felt so much happier and more relaxed. Just me and a robin daft enough to be out but loving it!!!

Well done compostbin on your valiant outing and great escape. Pleased you made it home safely!!  :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5477 on: February 08, 2012, 17:42:09 »
Just managed to grab a couple of sprout trees and net my PSB.  It was bitterly cold and there was no one else there.  The ground is as hard as a rock.  Wanted some parsnips but they are well stuck in the ground.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5478 on: February 08, 2012, 19:29:32 »
 ;DChecked on temps in greenhouse that was enough bitterly cold :(
m j gravell

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5479 on: February 08, 2012, 20:45:35 »
Collected some potting compost from the poly and brought it indoors to warm up before I use it tomorrow. Dug in some seaweed meal and wood ash into an end bed in the poly- when it warms up a bit I'll give it a good water and maybe put in the broad beans. As the ground sown peas have gone AWOL I put down some bait....
The first chillies are out of the propagator and the peppers will be out tomorrow. It would be good to have some sun. Temperatures don't matter once there's some glass or poly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal