Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 884535 times)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #5440 on: February 01, 2012, 01:16:41 »
Finger, I always use my bum.    :o       :P     ;)

A soil thermometer would be less painful  ;D

Ninnys

meter rat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5441 on: February 01, 2012, 12:56:12 »
Had last week off work. So I weeded, dug and planted two verities of rhubarb, a blackcurrant, red currant and a gooseberry bush.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5442 on: February 01, 2012, 13:31:04 »
What no Kestrel,  :o and thats a hell of a lot of onions Gavin.    :o   :D

Hi CornKev.. Sorry - No Kestrel... I'm told they are good so may try next time.. have enough for now!!

Re the onions - our family love onions and so do my neighbours. We love to BBQ them as eat a lot as green onions and white sauce so quite a few dont get to mature!! 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #5443 on: February 01, 2012, 17:48:51 »
Putting up supports on new raspberry bed this afternoon unbelievably cold :o

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5444 on: February 01, 2012, 18:02:11 »
Sun was out for about an hour  O/H put washing on the line said  it was no good for drying, need to do a few things , but decided to look at holiday dates on line :) :) ;D
m j gravell

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5445 on: February 01, 2012, 18:16:48 »
put polystyrene under the overwintering geraniums and covered them with frost protection fleece, hope theyre ok. This time last week, they were putting up flowers  :o

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5446 on: February 01, 2012, 21:47:21 »
Fixed a new tap on the big water butts - much easier since the 3000 litres or so has all escaped...... ::). gave the broad beans a few hours of fresh air, sowed chillies and peppers.. Went in and made a parkin- double quantity ;D ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5447 on: February 02, 2012, 00:50:27 »
Fed the birds and shot indoors!!  ;D

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #5448 on: February 03, 2012, 11:48:55 »
Found out that a bag of compost that I was going to take down to the allotment had frozen solid,and that frozen bags of compost are very heavy to carry. ;D

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #5449 on: February 03, 2012, 14:31:46 »
Finished moving a large load (a bout 75 Wheelbarrows) of manure that had been tipped on the end of another plot as the tractor could not get to my new plot. Never thought I would see blisters on my hands having worked as a gardener for over 60 years, it shows I have been slack lately since I had to retire. :'(

compostbin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5450 on: February 03, 2012, 15:41:11 »
 :o..........wow,.......its SO COLD,.....but managed to drive my new motorbility scooter,....to my plot,....to cut,...with my new harvesting knife,...from Marshalls ,...some sprouting purple broccoli,...for my tea,....yum,yum ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5451 on: February 03, 2012, 15:51:50 »
Bugger since Monday, it's toooo bloody cold, may give it a bash at the weekend.  :-\
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #5452 on: February 03, 2012, 18:08:23 »
Nothing either - too cold today, but hoping to get to the lotty early in the morning before the predicted 5 inches of snow for us gets here tomorrow afternoon..... >:(
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5453 on: February 03, 2012, 18:39:50 »
Went to plot 2 after being phoned about our shed, the little b*ggers have prised the door open, couldn't get the hinges or hasp and staple off, the padlock's still ok. Smashed the bottom of the door to bits to get in and pinch the generator, we only left it there while we were away, someone must've seen us put it in :-\

connectedcats

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5454 on: February 03, 2012, 18:45:50 »
With snow forecast for the weekend I went up to my plot to get cabbage and a couple of celeriac roots. The sun was shining and I was surprised at how warm it seemed, considering the temperature in my unheated greenhouse had been 2C before I left. There was no mud, and I dug a few rows from the celeriac bed before returning home.  THe soil crumbled nicely, and didn't seem to be frozen. It was a shame I didn't have time to stay and do more.

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #5455 on: February 04, 2012, 14:44:47 »
Sorry to hear about your generator manicscousers, theiving little.... >:(

I managed to get about two hours digging done, before the snow started...just a little so far, hope it stays that way

sheddie
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5456 on: February 04, 2012, 14:54:49 »
Dug out some more strawberrys but come home after an hour with frozen feet.   :o
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

coastiefrank

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5457 on: February 04, 2012, 15:32:25 »
Sowed some cauli, tomatoes and red onions.  Bought some garlic and onion sets and will put them out when it stops raining. :)

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5458 on: February 04, 2012, 16:04:00 »
Just got back from pulling some brussels and some shallots from me shed stock.

slid the GH top glass back under the frame as were expecting snow tonight.

battened down the poly tunnel doors.

and came home quick as me feet are perishing.

Gazza

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5459 on: February 04, 2012, 17:19:15 »
More big work finished at the plot in the snow today... Fitted all the glass in the greenhouse. No breakages.. wow!!  So all the big work is nearly finished now. I still have to level of an old sort of compost and shrubs heap of something and convert it into a covered storage area and lay all the broken slabs as a floor. Then the digging can resume.  See the progress at my site link below this post..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal