Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 900499 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #580 on: March 18, 2008, 18:09:16 »
not managed to get to the site today just 2 wet, so tomorrow i am going to have a cleanout of my mini greenhouse and getting it ready for planting up next week. As i want to get my peas and beans started.

Going to try my old trick of putting newspaper down on the shelves selotaping the sides so it makes a lip and scatter slug pellets around the edge in the hope it kills any slugs off before i start getting things to germinate.

I also have a tealight holder & mini teelights which i use to warm the area ( yes i know risky with a plastic greenhouse but these are teelights which i have already used and only have a small amout of burn left in them and the top of the flame is a good 1.5ft from anything that will burn. It just gets the temp back up after i have had the sides up.) I usualy replace this with a bowl of boiling water in the summer to help with moisture retention and the sudden cooling in the evening.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #581 on: March 18, 2008, 18:15:31 »
Set up my mini poly tunnels to warm the soil as advised here :D

Put manure and compost into my HUGE potato bags ready for when planting happens.

Dug two raised beds over with manure.

Cleaned things up in the greenhouse, and brought all the tomato's into the house.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #582 on: March 18, 2008, 18:33:12 »
I finally got my second greenhouse which came with all the shelving, parrifin heater and tons of pots so am so happy.  All the stuff like tomatoes and cucumbers have died do lots of work to do this week to start planting again.  I am slacking.  I did mange to get a delivery of manure to the lottie on monday for 10.00 for 60 bags well rotted stuff to so am very please.  Will be doing ym raised beds then

gtm41658

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #583 on: March 18, 2008, 18:37:26 »
went to the plot sunday afternoon before the rugby started to finish off the clearing i'd started on friday and couldn't finish on saturday 'cos of the rain. stepped on the plank on the bed and promptly sank.  stepped on another part of the plot and the boot sank by 8"...need to let it dry out a bit now before i can do anything else..

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #584 on: March 18, 2008, 20:52:39 »
dont worry gtm41658 the snow will fix that and freeze everything solid

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #585 on: March 20, 2008, 13:29:17 »
sowed the last of the broad beans, Witkiem Manita, planted the first of the second earlies, Osprey - all in the rain so everything watered in nicely  ;D sowed yet more peas, Misty, forced the last of the chicory - got soaked but enjoyed it

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #586 on: March 20, 2008, 15:52:56 »
filled up my raised bed with mixture of home compost, bought compost/soil improver from local council and well roted manure.  that was the good part, bad part was coming home to plastic grow bag green house in bits at home and all my seeds in my plastic covered greenhouse in a pile in the middle of the floor, can only asume that it was getting battered by winds and it knocked them of the staging - all that hard work for nothing - will have to start planting all over again tomorrow  :(

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #587 on: March 20, 2008, 19:52:06 »
Covered my early potatoes with manure and plastic bottles, as they are just popping their heads through the soil.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #588 on: March 20, 2008, 20:09:14 »
I had a temp car (volvo v50) while my focus was being repaired as someone hit it ( in there 3 week old merc i was stationary they reveresed into me FUN ) so before i brought it back i used to to lug stuff from the garage and bring them up to the shed on the allotment made a mess of the car but its something that i did manage to do. YIPPIE  ;D Finaly made it up.

And in the rain i checked on my rhubarb (not ready yet  :'() and my cabbages which i think might have gone funny as there gowing up not out.

Noticed we have had about 4 ton of wood chips dropped off so i can finish putting my paths in when th weather settles down.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #589 on: March 20, 2008, 22:34:12 »
Sowed some chives, oregano, thyme (orange shining), hysopp tricolour, primo cabbage.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #590 on: March 20, 2008, 22:39:57 »
yesterday dug over my empty veg patches and starting preparing for the spuds to go out and generally tidied up, repotted tomatoes and chillis that were getting too big for pots
today sowed a mahoosive amount of seeds and only just managed to get enough room on the windowsill for  them all, havent put mini greenhouse up yet cos still windy here on and off

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #591 on: March 21, 2008, 09:13:12 »
Yesterday I managed to plant a couple of rows of broad beans under cloches and a couple of rows of spuds my lotty was dry enough, I have been down there this morning thirty minutes ago just to see if all is still intact after the bad weather we had last night and I'm happy to report all is, but the lotty is well out of bounds this easter with the looks of it after lasts nights rain :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #592 on: March 21, 2008, 10:06:08 »
I dug out a patch yesterday where a couple of big clumps of rhubarb had drowned in the waterlogging last year. Fortunately I have plenty left. The patch of ground elder under one of them had gone wild since the rhubarb died back last June. I rescued a few bits that are still alive, and will replant with that. Hopefully there won't be a repeat.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #593 on: March 21, 2008, 16:26:16 »
transplanted red cap and kalibos cabbage, tomatoes and peppers..covered the parsnips with a new bit of fleece, the other one had been shreded, old and thin ..lovely in the poly, scent of hyacinths and warm..outside, blustery wind, freezing rain and hail  :o

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #594 on: March 21, 2008, 19:24:25 »
I planted my early potatoes and oca. Both set about 6" deep, with plenty of soil available to earth up as the foliage grows.

I also sowed my parsnips and early carrots.

Apart from the wind it was a really good morning. The soil is light and workable so winter and the worms have incorporated last autumns manure well into the potato bed this year. As the soil is so light I had to put a very light sprinkling of chicken manure pellets into the parsnip/carrot bed last week in prep for sowing, as the soil readily leaches. The cover crop of grazing rye didn't cover very well and hadn't amounted to much when I dug it through the bare beds a couple of weeks ago.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #595 on: March 21, 2008, 19:46:37 »
Dug. Hid in the shed for a bit to avoid a hailstorm. Rescued part of the roof from the stream. Where I was digging yesterday, the soil was lovely and light. Where I was today, it was much heavier and quite soggy. Amazing how it varies round the plot. That's two weedy patches dealt with so far this Easter.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #596 on: March 22, 2008, 06:57:21 »
Bought yet more flower seeds - I'm sure there should be a self help group for addiction buying seeds everytime I go in a garden centre!  Now have choca mocha gladioli, dahlia and cosmos, all I need to do now is find space to put them somewhere!

Made some seed tape with the kids from newspaper, flour and water and tweezered the early nante carrot seeds onto it.  They can go in today along with my 1st earlies of Pentland Javelin, which I think I've managed to identify despite not labelling them!!  I could be wrong tho lol.  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #597 on: March 22, 2008, 11:30:49 »
Planted more earlies and red onions yesterday, rhubarb only just showing through the manure.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

thespade08

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #598 on: March 22, 2008, 11:40:50 »
Managed to dig/fork over the garden borders
Fed my roses with some fish blood and bone,and also the gooseberry plants :P
Put some early potatoes in growing sacks (with the help of my 9 yr daughter).
Pruned back the hardy fuchsia and buddleias and moved the climbing rose.
Now to get to grips with the new lottie ;D
I came,isaw,I ran

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #599 on: March 22, 2008, 12:17:17 »
Not on the lottie cos I can't stand BUT I did finally start sowing seed..on a rocking chair in my sewing room!!

Tomatoes, cukes, Okra, aubs,peppers,peas in guttering,try doing that ina rocking chair LOL, broadies in 3 in pots.

Running late this year and don't want to be any later so needs must.

John at the lottie is  still knocking down the foundations of the old shed and greenhouse on the second plot, it was  a bigger job than anticipated, the concrete floor from the shed was 8 inches thick, but nearly done.

We will get there, maybe not in the usual fashion but better than last year I hope.

You all sound as though you are doing fab, well done to you all.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal