Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 882252 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #400 on: February 10, 2008, 18:34:20 »
Deb P was still alive as she left the plot today... only managed to get her OH (Andy) to help though... her chair was broken, I tried to sit in it!
 ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #401 on: February 11, 2008, 00:21:24 »
Mobilising my whole family ended up just with OH in the end...kids all had better offers apparently..... ::) We managed to get quite a bit done though, I was quite pleased with my muckspreading and barrowing capabilities, Andy did all the heavy shovelling!

Went to have a sit down, and someone had busted my comfy white plastic chair as Saddad said >:(  It was one left behind by the previous plotholder and nothing special, other than I have rested my weary bones in it a lot over the past year and a bit....hopefully I will feel up to the last bit of barrowing left to do over the next few days as the sun is predicted to shine.. 8)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #402 on: February 11, 2008, 13:36:11 »
wow Deb P, you sound like you did lots!!

I am ashamed to say i have only just got out of bed and had some food i think i am a little 2 sore to do much today on the lotty so i am going to wander down and do some planting and watering.  Providing i can get my large back side in gear and up to the allotment. Might just put on a movie and stay put with a hot water bottle.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #403 on: February 11, 2008, 15:42:17 »
Went down again today as felt not too bad, moved three barrow loads of manure and was knackered! So decided to sort out strawberry bed so I could muddle along on my hands and knees, nice job in the sunshine. Just come home and found a note from OH saying 'the cats are trying to get something in the hall'....very cryptic;.... until I walked into the dining room and found a deceased mouse awaiting my delectation! Two cats bombed down the stairs to take credit, well you have to praise them don't you.... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #404 on: February 11, 2008, 15:50:08 »
Dug over a raised bed. Sorted out bean poles from a load of trees I felled a few weeks ago. Cleared an area ready for the next raised bed. Pulled the last of my leeks .

While clearing away, 2 rather large mice ran between my feet and into the hedge. I was a bit worried they were baby rats, but when I lifted a piece of wood, there was a tiny nest where they had run from. So they must have been mice....phew! I covered it back over and left it alone. I know some other lottie owners would want me to 'get rid of them' but they dont pinch much out of my lottie, and I always grow plenty more than I need.

Apologies to all those plagued by mice ::)

Off to soak in nice hot bath now.....oooh, me back ;D

cj :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #405 on: February 11, 2008, 20:29:07 »
A lovely hot weekend, I harvested carrots, parsnips and leeks and took home some stored PFA's. I dug over the ground ready for my onions and put up my mesh for my peas and planted some that my neighbour had pregrown and I put some plastic down to warm the early spud area.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #406 on: February 11, 2008, 20:46:09 »
I power washed all my steps, walls and patio. As usual I got just and wet as I always do. It soon dried up in the sunshine. This weather is very welcome. More, more, more nice days and I can do the upper level this week.  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #407 on: February 11, 2008, 22:52:11 »
I did a little digging, and got the communal hedge trimmer out for some heavy hacking. There's a lot more of that to do during the week.

MiniTC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #408 on: February 12, 2008, 12:51:44 »
You industrious lot you!!  :D

I've just moved in to a house with a (presumably empty) lottie patch in the garden......I just stood next to it and wondered what to do next!!

Logged on here for some info as I've not done gardening before!!

I'll keep on surfing through for ideas!!

;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #409 on: February 12, 2008, 13:50:48 »
Welcome MiniTC, why not pop the dimentions into a post in 'the basics' and some ideas what you want to grow and i am sure you get get lots of tips!!

I will be watching with intrest as i am looking to move house and that means giving up the lotty so will be looking to grow veg in the new garden instead :)

MiniTC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #410 on: February 12, 2008, 15:18:40 »
Thank You.......I'll get the measuring stick out and do just that!!  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #411 on: February 12, 2008, 16:04:31 »
Well I can finally answer this post.

I plucked up the courage to go to the lottie a few days ago,just for a look, I am  still having sadness from the devestation of the floods last year so haven't been for months. We were so close to chucking it, even after laying plastic on one lottie. I was almost sure I would give up even if John went.

I went back again today after a good long talking to  by me.

I weeded the aparagus bed and found two spears about two inches long which I snacked on. I then pulled some beetroot, salsify, parsnips and celery that had somehow survived. I went into one geenhouse were the dead  tomato plants were still in their pots and amazingly I ate 5 small tomatoes.Well done Sungold.

The sun was warm, no wind and I was relatively comfortable so I came back feeling much better with plans now buzzing in my head.

All's right with my world!!

XX Jeannine

PS Is celery supposed to overwinter!!
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #412 on: February 12, 2008, 18:58:57 »
wow, good news for your Jeannine and glad to see your new found entusiasm :)

Myself, i have been up to the lotty today as the stiffness has started to wear off and managed to plant one entire bed with a row of leeks, 4 rows of carrots and 2 rows of shallots these fit under 2 plastic closhes which is just as well as by the time i had finished i could see my breath with the temp drop. Between the 2 closhes i have planted some jumbo marigolds :)

Harvested some parsnips and came home to warm up.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #413 on: February 12, 2008, 21:10:07 »
Planted out a row of first earlies.  ;D ;D ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #414 on: February 12, 2008, 21:53:58 »
Did two rows of 24 shallots, watered the frames and weeded out the first carrots.. then hung a side gate that I got cheap only to realise when I'd finished that it's the wrong way round... !
 ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #415 on: February 12, 2008, 23:43:43 »
Hard to believe this is February .Had to sit under the parasol ,the sun was so bright.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #416 on: February 13, 2008, 01:14:52 »
Couldn't move any more muck as the pile was a bit frozen, where the sun was everything else had thawed out so decided to harvest my last 3 black Tuscan kale and transplant some of my Gariguette strawberry runners in their row instead.

Still have an embarrassment of leeks left, so I'm digging up 4 every visit and thinking of creative recipes to help use them all up.....I need to clear the bed so I can manure it!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #417 on: February 13, 2008, 13:24:21 »
I cant see out the windows here still very thick fog which has not lifted, so i cant see me making it up to the allotment today.

Going to stay at home and pop some stuff into sow on the windowledge and have a tidy up here.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #418 on: February 13, 2008, 19:30:17 »
A final raking for the onion bed and put the string lines down ready for the weekend.  ;D ;D ;D

MPG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #419 on: February 13, 2008, 19:37:33 »
ummmmmmm ummmmmmmm digging yes more digging, am slowly getting sumwhere, if we have risk of frost still can i plant onions or not? or do u think its btr to leave another couple o wks?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal