Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 883853 times)

tartonterro

• Acre
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #440 on: February 17, 2008, 17:12:30 »
weeded between the onions and garlic, laid out for raised beds and had a chat with one of the other plot holders

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #441 on: February 17, 2008, 17:31:21 »
Nothing apart from dig a few parsnips for tea... OH's Birthday, friends up and Andy had an away Rugby match... but he did score his first try... and we got to the National Memorial Arboretum...
 ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #442 on: February 17, 2008, 17:47:28 »
we finished it yaaaaay  ;D

wheelabo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #443 on: February 17, 2008, 17:54:25 »
WOW Manicscousers very impressive.  Well, we started digging our new plot today.  You never know one day we might be as great at this allotment thing as you lol ;)

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #444 on: February 17, 2008, 17:58:32 »
Well done Manics... when are you coming down to do one for me?
 8)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #445 on: February 17, 2008, 18:05:58 »
Hey Manics - fantastic.  Is that a community Polytunnel?

I fan trained the Cherry Tree and raked over the bed that I dug yesterday, pulling out the horsetail as I went ::)

Waited for a newbie plotholder, who didn't show >:(

Here is a piccie of my fruit cage - I think the wonkiness adds to its rustic appeal ;D ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #446 on: February 17, 2008, 18:07:50 »
we're all knackered now, they're all going back to work for a rest  ;D
yep, smp, communal, we'll use it for the plant sale, then everyone gets a share  :)

MPG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #447 on: February 17, 2008, 18:44:18 »
i am devastated went to lotty and found my first of prob many disaster's all my marigold seedlings had died.nothing else just those.... gutted. oh well just start all over. mpg

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #448 on: February 17, 2008, 19:22:47 »
Died or slugged MPG?
 :-\

MPG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #449 on: February 17, 2008, 19:27:03 »
i assume died through lack of water but ev thing else was fine, which don't make sense, only thing i can think of as im still missing some paines of glass is that a cat has gone in and sat on them or walked over, they were flat, so dunno, ho hum, dont wish the slugs just yet lol we had them in armaders coming across the garden last yr, dread t think what lotty will b like.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #450 on: February 17, 2008, 20:10:12 »
Popped down lottie at 4pm with OH, so made the most of his brawn and got him to heave a few bags of mushroom compost onto various bits of the plot. Also eventually got around to tidying up my greenhouse at home and transported the used compost from my cucumbers to the plot to top up this years roots bed.

Now I just have to give the greenhouse a really good scrub......hope it's sunny again tomorrow! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #451 on: February 17, 2008, 20:40:19 »
Blimey!  Remember to breathe at some point Cam!!!    :o

Breathing whats that :)

If i can get the house sorted then i can get back on the lotty and by then it might be warm enough to do something. Just been out with the rubbish and its so cold !!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #452 on: February 17, 2008, 20:43:14 »
Yep its horrid down here at the mo, went to wash hair this morning and discovered my shampoo had frozen!  :o
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #453 on: February 17, 2008, 20:58:49 »
Sowed 3 trays of lettuce and remainder of broad beans. Put out two cold frames that had been stored in the shed. Dug in loads of shredded paper into the bottom of beans trenches. Drank loads of tea and had a good chat with people up there.

Looking forward to Spring.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #454 on: February 18, 2008, 09:17:29 »
Beautiful day yesterday - very sunny but cold.  Got some strawberries planted out and covered with cloches.  Also rotavated the carrot bed and levelled over. 
Twinkletoes

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #455 on: February 18, 2008, 17:44:29 »
Myself and Mrs Smith went down the lotty with the rotovator for the first time to have a go at the digging we did four weeks ago apart from other jobs we had to do, needless to say I'm mens bits and the rotovator is going to the workshops tomorrow because it started to splutter, but a I can now get mi spuds :)

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #456 on: February 18, 2008, 17:58:29 »
I decided to go and replant some of my strawberry's however when I went to take them out I found the soil frozen soiled.  They are doing alright green shoot everywhere , any one else had this happen

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #457 on: February 18, 2008, 20:12:46 »
we both cleared out the hedge (100 foot)on my daughter in laws home she only moved in last summer and the garden  hadn't been touched for years. cut it back hard and cleared all the debris that had  collected and been dumped over time even a dirty nappy :o

we wanted to get the bind weed and ivy under control. we came across a slow worm he was very lively, beautiful !st one we've seen this year, with this fantastic warm sun in sheltered areas we thought we might have seen more.

By the way. The slow worm was moved to a cleared part of the hedge, left to bury himself in the roots then we gave him a generous covering of the old tree debris to keep him warm.

Now we're shattered but happy

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #458 on: February 18, 2008, 20:16:26 »
Nothing at all - couldn't see from one end of the site to the other due to fog!

wheelabo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #459 on: February 18, 2008, 20:29:45 »
Did some more digging today.  Ache all over.  Boy am I going to have some muscles (I'll look like Fatima Whitbread by the end of the week I reckon!).  Took a chair and a drink today so spent a bit longer on lottie.  Took it in turns to take a 5 min break.  Decided to have a rest tomorrow.  Dont want to work the other OH too hard as he's so keen at the moment.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal