Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 882274 times)

sazhig

• Half Acre
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #3720 on: May 16, 2010, 15:51:29 »
Sowed some broccoli, sunflowers and sweet peas. Also re-potted the previously sown sunflowers.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3721 on: May 17, 2010, 21:48:32 »
Had a lovely day down the allotment....did a lot of planting and tidying up, OH popped down and put together some great mini cloches for me made from some double walled plastic left over from someones dismantled lean to, so the courgettes will be going into them as soon as they are a bit more hardened off. He also made one huge 6'x4' one for my melon pit...I'm really going for it this year! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #3722 on: May 18, 2010, 12:36:39 »
Planted out Cabbage seedlings, sowed more sunflower, radish, carrot and onion seeds.
Harvested some lettuce and radishes.
Put flowering tomato plants out in the sun.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

amphibian

« Reply #3723 on: May 18, 2010, 12:45:37 »
Planted out corn and tomatoes, said my prayers to the frost gods.

Marge

• Not So New ...
    • Marge Land
« Reply #3724 on: May 18, 2010, 13:09:51 »
I've had a busy day cooking actually, but this did not stop me going outside into the garden to check things out.  I noticed a lot of the plants in the mini greenhouse were wilting (must be due to that round thing in the sky that we haven't seen for some time!), so everything got a good watering.

Reine de la cocina

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3725 on: May 18, 2010, 19:51:55 »
Pottered around in the garden at home, weeding and planting out tomatoes and antirhinhums, then met up with lottie firend at another friend's house.  She is moving in a fortnight and had lots of wood offcuts in her garage to go to a good home.  Loaded what we could use in the van then on to the lottie, where both OHs set to with a vengeance cladding the shed interior (making a jigsaw puzzle really!).  I pottered about weeding and watering, and planted out calabrese under our Wilkinson's net cloche- looks very good!  Tried to work out which were the sprouts and which were the cabbages I'd sown in the bath!  Earthed up the potatoes that were big enough.  Pulled some rhubarb and chopped off the flowere stalks.
Thinned out the carrots, beetroot and turnips.  A GOOD DAY!

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #3726 on: May 18, 2010, 20:37:34 »
put lots of pots out to harden off,and watered

thats about it  ;D

lots of weeding to do tommorow,also planting lots out now the weather has turned the frosty corner

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3727 on: May 19, 2010, 18:01:04 »
Another GOOD DAY  Sowed more carrots at home, and at the lottie planted out  runner beans.  It looks just a real lottie now, with beans snaking up the wigwam.  Also planted out some cauli and covered them with plastic bottle cloches.  Sowed more carrots, beetroot and turnips, and left partner sowing cornflower and marigold seeds.  Her OH was busy in our shed making the walls good.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3728 on: May 19, 2010, 21:36:13 »
put a load of old raspberry canes up in a double row, as a support  for some peas, hoed the onions and shallots beds, and watered loads of stuff (Rain? what bl%*dy Rain?)  :D
You couldn't make it up!

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #3729 on: May 19, 2010, 23:10:58 »
Sowed more carrots, James Scarlet, Paris Market Baron and Chantenay Red Cored 2, all my runners now in, weeded onion and shallot beds, last good water then covered in spent hops (my hair smells like it's had a beer shampoo!).

Ninny

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #3730 on: May 21, 2010, 14:56:38 »
Sowed some courgettes, pumpkins and squash seeds, transplanted some (rather late) late broad beans and made up a hanging basket of tomato and mange tout plants

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #3731 on: May 21, 2010, 20:02:46 »
Phew,
I have potted on a load of plants ready to go into the garden.
My back aches and have not had a cup of tea to boot.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3732 on: May 21, 2010, 20:40:44 »
stared at a fly that was mooching around my carrot seedlings. It was grey/black and about 2cms. long.  Was this the dreaded carrot fly that I've heard so much about, and is there anything I can do if it was?

superspud

• Half Acre
« Reply #3733 on: May 21, 2010, 21:10:34 »
Put some peas on canes just in case we get no more frost, then I got heat stroke digging over the half of the garden I had left from yesterday, so much brick stones glass and asbestos it was unreal, the previous people must of buried a shed or such. I got a red face and shoulders, sore scalp and had to sit down as felt really sick, its so easy to forget how long you are in the heat ---- SO GET SOME SUNCREAM, oh and use it.

Nearly finished my coldframe then sorted out the bean selections I seeded, things have gone mental and sit there laughing at me, last night they were barely poking out the ground today they are huge, I'm sure they did it deliberately.

Ignore me I'm having a breakdown.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #3734 on: May 21, 2010, 21:23:26 »
Came home from work, went out to veg patch with a drink and enjoyed the peace and quiet. 

My little bit of heaven  :)

Alison

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3735 on: May 22, 2010, 10:00:10 »
At the lottie by 7 a.m.-my first experience of being the first one there- magical in the sunshine with birds singing.  Tidied and swept our newly revamped shed and pottered with the beds- a great start to the day!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3736 on: May 22, 2010, 17:52:38 »
Sorted out a hive which a swarm had moved into. It had my oldest, smelliest (it's the smell of old comb that initially attracts them) and most horrible comb in, that I'm planning to melt down, and it was in the top box. So I sorted out a box of good comb, swapped it over, and shook the bees down into the new box. Not my favourite job in this heat!

Then I did a load of watering, and moved some emerging broad beans which the mice had ben at. Serve me right for leaving the trays on the ground!

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #3737 on: May 22, 2010, 19:14:48 »
popped in before work to water

managed to earth spuds up on thursday so thats a job out of the way

everything is out now,just a case of watering and weeding,and a few other jobs here and there

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #3738 on: May 22, 2010, 19:17:33 »
Harvested some lettuce and radishes...picked off slugs and snails from them too  >:(
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #3739 on: May 22, 2010, 19:24:13 »
I got sun burnt on my shoulders at my allotment today  ::)  :o the wind made it feel quite cool so I had no idea how badly I was burning until I got home - ouch! I will have to remember to use sun block from now on

I made a net cage for my currant bushes, planted out courgettes, butternuts & pattypans under plastic cloches, watered & weeded, covered my raised beds in net or fleece as the seedlings are through & the pigeons were eyeing them up ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal