Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 882452 times)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #3420 on: March 30, 2010, 19:35:41 »
I finished work at 7am and went straight over the allotment in the rain. It took me 4 hours to clear approx 5' x 4' of new area at one spade depth, that i have just taken over, it contained 6 layers of carpet with dirt and weeds inbetween then heavy wet clay underneath. The spade went through the clay really easy but it was just so heavy.
Tomorrow i'll try the same. I hope the asparugus appretiate it :-\

Neil

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3421 on: March 30, 2010, 20:35:25 »
Freezing cold and bucketing rain/sleet/snow/hail. Blowing a gale. I'm tucked up with a bottle of Wolf Blass!

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #3422 on: March 30, 2010, 21:02:36 »
i made an appearance at the lottie

but so did the rain  :(

really need to break the soil ready for sowing so please rain,pretty please with sugar on top please get lost yeah  ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3423 on: March 31, 2010, 00:11:52 »
Been bloody wrapping the greenhouse with bubble wrap >:(..I had to section part of it to make it that bit more warmer for toms and peppers...so cold and wet.. >:( >:(
put some extra candles on... ::)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3424 on: April 01, 2010, 21:18:30 »
took Callum with us today, he finally got his spuds in, plus a row of peas and he's planning on putting carrots etc in next week,
I transplanted some sweet peas, tigerella , marmande and garden pearl toms, burpless cucumbers and watered everything that needed it, it was bloomin' hot in the polytunnel and freezin' outside  ;D

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3425 on: April 02, 2010, 00:35:48 »
helped to make paths at the lottie- I dug out the straight edges whilst others with greater DIY skill put the edging in place,  spread some manure on courgette bed.

Just went out and put a poly bag over my one spud just in case!

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #3426 on: April 02, 2010, 13:33:24 »
Something has been munching on my radishes  :'( only 2 leaves damaged so hopefully they will be ok.

Planted, Purple podded pea - Desiree and Golden sweet, along with the Painted Mountain corn into modules and 10 asiatic lilies (mixed from Poundland) into pots.

Moved the leeks, Sunflowers and Squash out into the mini greenhouse.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3427 on: April 02, 2010, 13:46:58 »
To wet on the lotty to put anything in but the outlook from next Tuesday onwards is cloudy and sunny weather lets hope by next weekend I can get my broad-beans in which look a treat, also my spuds and onions, :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3428 on: April 02, 2010, 13:48:27 »
Spent two hours digging out couch and bindweed- wonder how many times I've written that on this thread now? ::) Was waiting for the rain so I could stop but it never came- my back told me to stop in the end!

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3429 on: April 02, 2010, 16:49:32 »
moved pallets and old skirting board to lottie in son's van, tidied a border in the garden and planted three roses.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3430 on: April 02, 2010, 17:29:22 »
cut down a bed of 'autumn bliss' raspberries, uncovered the asparagus bed, ready for the rain.
You couldn't make it up!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3431 on: April 02, 2010, 17:58:26 »
transplanted flippin' flowers for the plant sale, seems like a never ending job   :-\

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3432 on: April 02, 2010, 18:48:39 »
One job I don't have this year...  ;D

We have been rained off since about 2pm... got 60 spuds in this morning and dug out the sorrel, prepared ground for the new asparagus crowns...
OH gone out to put another few spuds in...  :-X

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3433 on: April 02, 2010, 19:30:19 »
Surprisingly pleasant weather in East Sussex. Planted out broad bean seedlings in the gaps where most of the autumn sown ones were killed for the first winter ever, plus a lot of chitted ones (ie roots showing but not plants). Cleared a very messy corner to finish off the packet. Weeded Blueberry Corner - a very small corner with 2 blueberries and a cranberry planted last spring. Had a very few delicious blueberries last year, hoping for more this year, but they haven't grown much.

In Poland one year, boys were selling them by the side of the road in jam jars for pennies, surrounded by fields and fields of the plants.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3434 on: April 03, 2010, 18:15:09 »
Day off at last, down the lottie early as rain forcast for this afternoon. Son wanting to earn some pennies, so he barrowed some broken breeze blocks that somehow have been sitting around up to the skip that has just arrived on site. I tidied up, moved the bean pole supports to where I want them now the area is weed free and found some sneaky regrowth of couch grass around the strawberry beds.... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

starting out

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3435 on: April 03, 2010, 18:53:30 »
Its been a nice day here so ive got lots of flower seeds planted around the garden. Well my son did that so who knows what will come where  ::)

Ive potted on some strawberry plants and sown more leeks and broad beans. Got the belfast sinks sorted and got all the salad and herbs sown too.

Oh I also moved the seedlings from the kitchen window into the greenhouse as hubby made the staging yesterday.

javahart

• Quarter Acre
    • My veg blog
« Reply #3436 on: April 03, 2010, 19:20:33 »
Lovely day in Cheshire and managed to get the rest of the spuds in the ground.  Prepared a bed for carrott but still a bit cold for germination, so not sown any seeds.
Found a nice little patch in the fruitcage for salad and have sown a packet of freebee seeds that came with a BBC magazine.

Kids enjoyed doing the watering with their own cans!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3437 on: April 03, 2010, 19:46:00 »
more plant sale flower transplanting BUT, then I got to do some of my own stuff  ;D
Ray put up the wigwam for the tall peas, I transplanted (I know) sunflowers and nasturtiums that self seeded, sowed some mixed leaves and pak choi in a trough, watered everything inside and we covered the next carrot bed with some polythene to warm it up, most of the pre-chitted parsnips are up  ;D loads of the potatoes in the poly are up and growing away well..started some more parsnips pre-chitting at home  :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3438 on: April 03, 2010, 19:48:38 »
pricked out 92 tomato plants this morning, then rain stopped play @ the lottie
You couldn't make it up!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3439 on: April 03, 2010, 22:04:27 »
Yesterday I dug out sad phormium and other shrubs I didn't like, gave climbing roses their final prune. More to come out tomorrow, weather permitting. Contemplating a visit to local garden centre tomorrow. Today Grandaughter and I looked at a free packet of lettuce seeds with a view to sowing them. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal