Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 885392 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #3400 on: March 28, 2010, 21:36:05 »
tickled my peach flowers with rabit tail.. ;) sowed some lettuce,radish,spring onion, potted some bedding plants and took some cuttings,,potted some broadbean plants as some helpfull mice been planting seeds during winter in greenhouse borders..they are poping up everywhere ::)

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #3401 on: March 28, 2010, 21:56:26 »
i popped into the allotments after work to see how my seedlings are going

and everything i sowed 2 weeks tuesday have come through now,wasnt sure if the sweetcorn would germinate yet,but it did  ;D

leeks,peppers,sweetcorn and sunflowers all going strong

will attend on tuesday now so i can re dig the areas for my onion sets and spuds,and get my new raised beds level ready for filling

starting out

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3402 on: March 28, 2010, 22:10:36 »
Ive replanted the white onions the birds keep pinching. Ive also sown some musselbrough leeks in modules and potted on lots of cabbages that were growing very fast. I had attempted to sow some broad beans but when I went looking for the packet I cant find them so thinking I maybe didnt get round to buying any so must get those. Im still learning so finding this thread very very useful as reading what others are doing gives me the nod to get mine done too. Im in Cumbria having moved here recently, are there any others on here from this area?

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #3403 on: March 28, 2010, 22:14:02 »
I went and planted out my first earlies and cleared a load of couch grass whilst i was there.

Transplanted the spring cabbages and made a contraption to net it (though my hubby brought pea mesh rather than the environmesh i requested).

Also set up a water saver using an old baby bath.

shifted a big pile of ashes, bricks and weeds off to one side, moved some manure and trod down my path a little.

I also planted some broad beans which were taking over my kitchen and made a little shelter type thing for them cos the wind is a little fierce up there!

another Sunday where there was no one else to be seen so i ended up singing quite loudly to myself just because i could!

also picked up a tray of mange tout from b&q for £1 something so gave them a new home in the kithen!

First time allotment holder, second time mum.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3404 on: March 29, 2010, 12:36:28 »
made the first path narrower and the first bed wider by about 10"- should given us more room for our bean poles- but then rain stopped play!  I really wanted to get the roots bed a bit more tilth-like, but that will have to wait for another day.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3405 on: March 29, 2010, 13:01:16 »
re...what did I do in my bedroom today.. :o
it is totally innocent though....
All this rain and wind is getting me down, cannot go to work, cannot do anything in lottie so to kill time I have been poking into plantpots in propagator just to see if anything happening yet...
..I know..should leave them alone, but just doing house work is boring and not doing anything with compost giving me withdrawal symptoms  ::)
..so I found some re-sown chillies have finally decided show some activity. I pick those seed out and carefully gave them their own Jiffys... ;D
..life's little pleasures..... :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3406 on: March 29, 2010, 13:33:53 »
Cleared up some cat  sh it and replanted some onion-sets that the cat had scattered,  planted out 28 'golden sun' shallots.
Dug up a load of Comfrey Bocking14, now off to the Post Office to send out some root cuttings.
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3407 on: March 29, 2010, 14:46:13 »
Started more peas on the windowsill. Capucijner, Lancashire Lad, Victorian Purple Podded, Commander, Clarke's Beltony Blue. They're all purple podded; I'm not putting marrowfats in yet.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3408 on: March 29, 2010, 14:46:31 »
Nothing. :( Could have done lots while it was dry over theweekend but had my Dad staying.Now he's gone it's pouring. Went to B&Q and bought a bucket of chicken manure just to feel I was making some progress.  ::)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3409 on: March 29, 2010, 15:09:23 »
planted some lollo rosso and romaine lettuce in the poly borders, quite a good size already, sowed french marigolds from a friend on here, and nemesia  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3410 on: March 29, 2010, 15:22:55 »
Paddled  :-X

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3411 on: March 29, 2010, 15:37:50 »
Didn't go to the lottie this weekend, as I was busy painting fence panels waiting to go up next week.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

starting out

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3412 on: March 29, 2010, 15:59:01 »
I havnt stepped over the doorstep today other that to put the rubbish out. I have sown more leeks and also some mangetout. I have all these on my conservatory windowsill and the cabbages I pricked out yesterday are looking very sorry for themselves but im sure I remember stuff looking like that last year and then it picked up. Its a bit cold in there but I figured they have got to get used to it anyway  ;D

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #3413 on: March 30, 2010, 14:13:35 »
I couldn't do much in the beds as I might have joined the plants for a siesta.
I think I had better get some ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #3414 on: March 30, 2010, 14:47:13 »
went down to the plot, dug another trench for the peas and filled it with some old veg and shifted the remainder of my burnt weed pile.

also took my 6 month old for a walk around the plots, see if i could get some inspiration and introduced him to some ducks and chickens on a far away plot.

never seen so many chickens in one place before but they were all up the cage side almost as if they were expecting me to bring them food LOL!
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3415 on: March 30, 2010, 15:25:33 »
Not waving... but drowning...  :-X

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #3416 on: March 30, 2010, 15:59:52 »
at the weekend, sat in a chair watching my sister and her other half planting my spuds out. Lovely, although frustrating that i couldn't do it myself. I was in charge of refreshments. Also (very carefully) presided over a bonfire.  Since then it's been raining so have sat indoors cheering on my seedlings.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3417 on: March 30, 2010, 16:18:28 »
Bugger all, its piddling down with very high winds.    :'( :'( :'(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3418 on: March 30, 2010, 17:09:14 »
Cleared half a bed that I'm planning to put spuds in.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3419 on: March 30, 2010, 17:22:05 »
fleeced the spuds in the poly , it's going to 0 apparently  ::) ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal