Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 882005 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #3360 on: March 19, 2010, 16:31:56 »
I've can only get 16 in a row Frogs and have one more row to get in, probably Sunday, weather permitting, raining today and tomorrow.  :(          ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 16:39:15 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3361 on: March 20, 2010, 07:59:47 »
Well we had a good day yesterday. managed to put the sturon onions in and cover them. Tony made up another 2 arches ready to go in place on Sunday.
We really must get our spuds in next week. Everything seems to be piling up on us at the moment. I'm so glad that I got the winter digging done in the autumn cos it has saved me a lot of graft. Raining today so am going to pot up the tomatoes at home and give me achin back a rest.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #3362 on: March 20, 2010, 10:04:27 »
Just went out to remove a fleece so that the rain can get to the soil, forecast is warm nights for a while.

Second row of radishes is showing leaf now and the garlic is growing nicely.
Mini greenhouse had a tray of water swamped carrots (hole in the roof) but they seem fine.
3/4 germination on Matina (Saved seed) tomatoes.
Competition spud (Pentland Javelin) in a black pot has vegetation coming up.
Lettuce and Cabbage are all producing their second leaves as are the Tigerella Tomatoes.
Tigerella tomatoes first leaves look sickly, a bit patchy and discoloured, hope the second set looks healthier.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3363 on: March 21, 2010, 11:15:28 »
Good job I went to the lotty shed roof leaking, re-felted  the whole shed roof hope the rain keeps out, also managed to sow three garlic bulbs which means alot of garlic later in the year also sowed some onion seeds which I will pull when they are about the size of spring onions all in raised beds so they do come in useful when it is wet, :)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3364 on: March 21, 2010, 13:31:13 »
planted the onions and shallots, and put in a rhubarb too.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3365 on: March 21, 2010, 13:44:13 »
Sowed 24 varieties of tomatoes in about 150 modules, 5 sorts of herbs, some wacky things like carob and aristochia, two sorts of DFB for growing early under glass/plastic, a tray of Prisma shallot seeds , two sorts of chilli and the last of the walking onion seed...  potted on some cabbages and sunflowers, continued the hardening off of the leeks and onions... gotta go see if I can get on the plot this pm.....

chrisc

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3366 on: March 21, 2010, 18:04:45 »
cleaned the floors of my bee hives. ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3367 on: March 21, 2010, 18:10:12 »
Emptied my compost bin and sieved the stuff in it before spreading on plot- pretty good stuff considering it was mostly weeds/roots when it went in. Moved the bin to a sunnier spot on my side of the plot and moved one of my carrot bins too.Met the people who are probably taking over the other half- young couple with two little kids- he's a fireman so says we'll never need to worry about running out of water!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3368 on: March 21, 2010, 18:23:09 »
Harvested the last of my Parsnips for freezing
Dug up the last of my Carrots took some home and buried some in the soil
Transplanted some Strawberry's and weeded
Cultivated and weeded soil ready for carrots and parsnips
Filled some beer traps for the slugs
Had a general tidy, wee ed in the dalek and nearly tidied the shed.
  8)      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #3369 on: March 21, 2010, 18:35:38 »
Hi Y'All

Planted some Lady Crystl new pots, wanted to dig over a flower plot but too wet. Harvested LOADS of White Sprouting Broccoli, PSB, and Cavallo Nero Kale which we are having with our roast in about an hour's time and any left over will go in a stir fry tomorrow.

It's forecast to be a manky week, so will be doing some indoor sowing and giving the lottie a rest I think.

I love this time of year!

Regards

Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #3370 on: March 21, 2010, 19:24:28 »
To much with a bad cold :(
Dug for about 1 hour sorting out beds, planted strawberrys and a rosemary bush and 3 roses and clematis over the archway onto the plot, finished diggng the bean trench and planted some summer raspberrys into a new place, came home and crashed  :'( feel lousey now

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3371 on: March 21, 2010, 19:28:06 »
spent an hour at the plot pruning brambles- hope to go back tomorrow to finish the job.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3372 on: March 21, 2010, 19:56:51 »
Managed to get to the plot, emptied a brown wheelie from home into a builders bag, it's all the leaves that had been harvested this winter......
Played with Tested my Swoe by weeding the spring cabbages and round the Catawissa's, garlic,Welsh onions and wacky allium bed.
Tried to set fire to some more ivy, chucked some old netting....

chrisc

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #3373 on: March 21, 2010, 20:34:10 »
Planted Lady Christl and Cara potatoes. Dug over and covered the last little bit of plot 1. Hubby dismantled the last of the raised beds I no longer wanted on plot 2, used the timber to edge the outside of  plot 1.

6 cars in the car park up at the plot!

Ninny

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3374 on: March 22, 2010, 14:51:19 »
Pruned the other two bramble bushes- took two and a half hours!  They look great now, nice and tidy, just as I like them- don't know if we'll get brambles this summer though as I might have done it all wrong!

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3375 on: March 23, 2010, 15:47:06 »
Planted our first seeds in the ground- broad beans!  Shifted manure and went looking in the rubbish corners for bits of crazy paving for paths- then had a puncture on the way home!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3376 on: March 23, 2010, 16:18:17 »
transplanted sweet peas into morrison's best buckits for the plant sale, planted another couple of gutters of peas, transplanted another 40 celeriac and some marmande tomatoes..replaced the plastic over the parsnip bed with fleece now they're showing their heads  ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3377 on: March 23, 2010, 16:43:29 »
Planted out the remaining shallots I had started off in modules, had a general tidy up, dug out some sneaky couch grass that had infiltrated one of the strawberry beds...and then it started raining! ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3378 on: March 24, 2010, 15:15:29 »
Yesterday I planted a lavender hedge on my new 5 rod and put in some broad beans, today I worked on other plot, digging a bit and weeding. Dug up the last of the parsnips, and put some shallots in. Rain has stopped play so I'm now going to sew instead of sow ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3379 on: March 24, 2010, 15:37:55 »
planted up another 4 buckits of sweet peas for the plant sale, tied them in and pinched them out  ;D
transplanted another 40 celeriac, more roma tomatoes and watered everything that needed it  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal