Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 882878 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #1480 on: November 09, 2008, 18:06:15 »
Lifted and stored the Dahlias, replaced some glass in the greenhouse, and cut my hand... one new piece broke!! finished clearing the big greenhouse.
 :)

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #1481 on: November 10, 2008, 21:47:52 »
I did some weedding and notest some of the the weedy plots  near mine have been taken on (or maby the council strimed them :-\ ) then my 2 year old fell in the mud and we had to go home :'(
 He sat in his buggy screaming nasty mammy nasty garden all the 20 min walk  home :-[

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #1482 on: November 10, 2008, 22:08:29 »
When he gets older he will probably be on the phone/mobile to report you to social services (joke).  I don't believe in smacking my grandchild, but if she is naughty I tell her I will take her to the allotment, and she runs about screaming 'oh no not the allotment' I will behave. Whenever we go shopping and go past the allotment she grabs my hand and leads me away.  I try to say it will only be a quick look and you will enjoy it, but apparently it is so boring, no swings, no playing football. We did have one breakthrough as she just loves shelling peas, although she won't eat them.  Also a great help sweeping/kicking up leaves for compost, so perhaps in a few years I will get her helping Nanny.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1483 on: November 11, 2008, 19:03:36 »
My 3 year old loves it, sometimes I sneak out because I just can't get things done with her there.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #1484 on: November 12, 2008, 18:28:47 »
I had a lovly 4 hours today on the lotty managed to turn half the compost in the compost bin layering in new green stuff and sawing up any big bits. Its all very dry so had to water and left the bins open to allow any rain to soak in tonight :)

However i managed to impale my thumb in a 2 inch bramble so i had to stop doing anything that would be a problem to my wound. So managed to put fleese on the beds for me to plant tomorrow :)

Still have 8 fence pannels to clear where the brambles and hedges have grown though from outside the site :(

I will be spraying my paths with a mild dose of roundup while there is nothing in the beds at the moment.

Still very wet up there but it was wonderful today no wind and warm :)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #1485 on: November 12, 2008, 18:32:46 »
Dug over and weeded the ground where my squash were growing, the soil is a lovely dark colour and crumbly, lovely jubley.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #1486 on: November 13, 2008, 09:33:53 »
Too wet to dig on my plot as I had planned, so went to my OH and sons new plot which is a bramble covered wilderness and hacked back the brambles for 4 hours! Managed to find a water tank that I didn't know existed, and also cleared out the little shed now I can get into it. Found some papers dating back to 1956!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #1487 on: November 13, 2008, 16:43:22 »
Went to help an elderly Indian lady with her garden (for a small fee). Lovely garden but in serious need of TLC. Magnificent monkey puzzle tree. Did a couple of hours of weeding, pruning and forking over of borders. She gave me a bag of goodies to take home - hula hoops, penguin, apple juice - just like a party bag. Lovely.
Keep Calm and Carry On

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1488 on: November 13, 2008, 16:51:10 »
It's another wet day here, and I have a horrid cold (AGAIN!!) so no gardening at the moment, which is very frustrating. But I did pot up some bulbs last night to get them started - daffodils and chionodoxa. And started making a list of all the seeds I've got, so I can see what I have for swaps, and where I got them all from. What an anorak... :D

Oh, and made a diagram of my garden (from a photo on GoogleEarth!) so I can start planning and plotting. At least I can garden on paper, if nothing else...

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #1489 on: November 13, 2008, 17:18:56 »
It started raining just as I got to the plot so I refilled the bird feeders, had a look round admiring the fungi growing everywhere then came home!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #1490 on: November 13, 2008, 18:03:31 »
Planted the autumn broad beans at last!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #1491 on: November 15, 2008, 10:08:19 »
Had a look down the lotty to see if all is ok, the chap on the next allotment lower down whats he done but dog a trench right next to my allotment taking away the path that should run between each allotment, not happy going back down in an hour to see if he is there  >:(

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #1492 on: November 15, 2008, 11:02:51 »
pottered around, cleared a spent brassica bed, sowed the sweet peas, harvested some salads, back home early

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #1493 on: November 15, 2008, 16:50:13 »
Got loads done over 2 days. Re-organised fruit bed as it doesn't seem likely that I will get another 1/2 plot. Planted garlic, onions, spring cabbage and winter lettuce, tidied up compost area and cleaned out my shed at last. 8)
All very satisfying.
Smile, it confuses people.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #1494 on: November 15, 2008, 16:58:56 »
Lovely day. Soil nice and crumbly and not too cold after a couple of rain-free days. Did a lot of weeding, hoeing and clearing dead foliage. Planted two rows of aquadulce broad beans. Harvested some leeks and raspberries. Dug in some green manure (fenugreek). Turned one of the compost heaps. Noticed that some of my garlic, planted on 10 October, is coming through.
Keep Calm and Carry On

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #1495 on: November 15, 2008, 17:09:47 »
found green, almost luminous, caterpillars on my pak choi in the poly, here was me blaming the slugs  ???
anyway, they've gone to caterpillar heaven, via the chickens  ;D

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #1496 on: November 15, 2008, 17:57:24 »
Met a new plotholder and had a chat, nosed around other peoples plots.  Dug a bean trench.  Found some of the onions I planted had been pulled up.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #1497 on: November 15, 2008, 19:57:41 »
Found what I suspect might be a rat run going into my Dalek composter >:(

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #1498 on: November 15, 2008, 20:01:33 »
I put up my shed  ;) ...... well my dad put up my shed an I helped ad did what he told me to ;D ;D ;D
only have to put the roofing felt on now  as the nails provided where no good  :-\ or so my dad says ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #1499 on: November 16, 2008, 10:56:20 »
Harvested celeriac,parsnips, spuds and carrots  for my din dins today. :P      ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal