Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 885948 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #1460 on: November 07, 2008, 15:39:39 »
Went up today cos it's supposed to be raining all weekend here in Brum and anyway my house rabbit Bert is having a lady friend coming tommorow. A white lionhead named Alexis.pmsl. Of course she is a rescue bunnie.I wasn't gonn have anymore but he has been so down since Belle died. Did manage to dig some more chrysanths up. Tone got the autumn raspberries up that are having to be replaced cos they are not as good as the others. Still we have enough to transplant. Dug a couple of leeks up and saw that they had been attacked by the leek moth. (not gonna bother with leeks again.)Did get some lovely parsnips though. Put the garlic in as well. In fact got more done than we expected
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #1461 on: November 07, 2008, 16:03:36 »
Went out and measured all the broken/missing/cracked panes on the five greenhouses, my three, the Rycote and the School's... went out to get the glass and take the car in to the garage... just got back and it's going dark!!  :-X

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #1462 on: November 07, 2008, 16:08:00 »
Swept up more oak leaves for my dalek to process. Once the sun goes, so do I, back inside to keep warm  ::)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #1463 on: November 07, 2008, 16:17:47 »
Nothing, played tennis.  Loads of leaves outside to sweep up.  Does anyone know if all leaves are good, or do I have to sort my trees if you see what I mean. Hoping the Council will come and do it for me and I can nick or ask them for a few bags. I could be the first lady to go to court for stealing Council leaves. Also my parsnip leaves seem to be growing well, is it too early to dig them up??

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1464 on: November 07, 2008, 20:14:15 »
Dig a few up Borlotti should be fine, I thought you've already been to court Borlotti, didn't you say you had played tennis.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #1465 on: November 08, 2008, 12:39:53 »
Think we must all be getting a touch of S.A.D. It took me until 1:00 to get out even though it was sunny,

i know exactly what you mean..... :(

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #1466 on: November 08, 2008, 13:19:58 »
nothing it is still RAINING :'(

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #1467 on: November 08, 2008, 14:31:05 »
helped get everything ready for our big bbq/firework 'do' tonight..should be a laugh, especially if it rains  ;D

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #1468 on: November 08, 2008, 15:04:32 »
Raked up even more oak leaves. I've got about another 4 or 5 weeks doing that. They have only just started to fall. Before my plot, I use to curse them  ::), but now I have a huge dalek to save them in, a garden and lottie to use them on, I'm sweeping and raking them up daily. Bootiful for the soil next year.  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #1469 on: November 08, 2008, 16:13:53 »
Lots of cutting back- I can see out of the kitchen window now! Just looked out and saw a robim inspecting my work!Probably not happy that I've cleared some seedheads away.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #1470 on: November 08, 2008, 17:35:21 »
Nothing today, pouring with rain.

But yesterday I attacked my eyesore lasagna bed in the most satisfying way. For over a year it has been a 7m x 1m compost heap with hideous plastic bags of old weeds from my dug beds on it, covered by a huge ugly tarpaulin, weighed down by more bags of dead weeds plus any old bits of wood or rubbish that got in my way on the rest of the plot.

Hurray! Have dragged everything off, folded the tarpaulin away, dragged out some ever hopeful bindweed and couchgrass roots snaking about, tipped out the bags of weeds (now ordinary looking earth heaving with happy worms), raked it over and hammered boards into the soft ground to define the edges.

It's not perfect, but now, instead of coarse meadow grass and weeds, I have a 7m x 1m bed of weedless soil waiting for planting. Pity it's November.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #1471 on: November 08, 2008, 17:42:13 »
I have a confession to make.  Today........I cheated......and had the lottie rotavated.  Not because I'm lazy and not because I don't like digging (I do my best thinking whilst digging).  Unfortunately due to some family issues, I just won't have as much time as I'd like to get it sorted over winter.  So it's been rotavated and covered over with plastic so I can uncover it as I plant.  It's not ideal, I didn't really want to get it done but better that than end up with a jungle I guess.  On the plus side, it means I can just do the fiddly bits and pieces that I never seem to have time to do.  :)
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1472 on: November 08, 2008, 19:20:11 »
Bagged up another 5 bags of leaves from the park in the rain and got some funny looks, put some pallet size pieces of carboard down on some of the ground already dug over, mixed a compost bin.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #1473 on: November 08, 2008, 21:37:11 »
Too wet to do anything on the land so cleaned me shed out.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #1474 on: November 08, 2008, 22:55:45 »
Squelched.

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #1475 on: November 09, 2008, 15:17:33 »
After all the rain yesterday I thought it would be like a bog today but it wasn't, in fact, the ground was perfect for digging. So guess what I did???? I've now cleared a huge space for the broad beans go out into next week and the rest of it is well prepared for the spring. It was so lovely to be out there for the morning in the sunshine after the miserable weather we have had so I really made the most of it.

Also attempted the annual "try to dig out the horseradish" farce that I go through. The stuff is a real nuisance and no matter how deep I dig it comes back every year. Still, better than a workout at the gym!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #1476 on: November 09, 2008, 15:36:23 »
Far too soggy so topped the bird feeders up and took a few photos.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #1477 on: November 09, 2008, 16:59:23 »
took down my outdoor tomato cover and but the tomato plants on the burn heap. cleared the remainder of the borlotto bean plants to the compost bin. cut off the heads of the radicchio to force under terracotta pots (hopefully then it will be more palatable for me and the family :-X :-\. cleaned and netted ponds, raked up apple tree leaves off of the lawn. oh yeah put down more rat poison >:(.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #1478 on: November 09, 2008, 17:00:10 »
Nothing- too wet and windy. Hope to get out there tomorrow. :(

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #1479 on: November 09, 2008, 17:54:04 »
Far to wet and windy to go out so I decided to dig out my greenhouse borders as it would be dry (or so I thought).  Ended up chucking the soil out of the door and got totally soaked trying to get the manure I had humped from the lottie in my shopping trolley in. 

Wish I had a few days dry weather so I can actually get something done!!  Also wish I had more time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal