Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 883094 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2007, 20:56:16 »
Shovelled another 3 trailer loads of compost from heap to plot with a little help from my ol' man ;D, He gave lawn at home a good cut and I tidied up all the dead and dying stuff. I found one beautiful sweet pea which is now in the kitchen. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2007, 21:05:39 »
cleaned up after last night's bonfire/fireworks/bbq..all had a good time, good turn out , plenty of food and fireworks and we got rid of the biggest pile of rubbish you've seen
as it was only wood and weeds, we can now spread it on the ground  ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2007, 11:05:21 »
Had a good clear out in the greenhouse at home, picked the last of the peppers and harvested all the chillies. Laid out the squash on some wire shelves to store after drying out. Still have to do loads of tidying up and putting away of used pots etc, keep putting it off 'coz its so boring....... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2007, 11:35:54 »
Hi DebP... just sent you a pm... I'm supposed to be striking some Jostaberries etc but am confined to barracks this morning..
 ::)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2007, 16:00:16 »
Harvested carrots and savoy cabbage, put broad beans in, transplanted some strawberry plants, dug up the last of my PFA's and had a general tidy up.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Sarah_O

• Not So New ...
  • Another year older another year wiser
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2007, 16:14:17 »
Put back all the things my husband took out of the shed and left in the middle of the garden yesterday,  Back in the shed!
Mind you he did Plant the shed roof up with spring Bulbs.  ;D
"Brains first and then hard work." -Eeyore

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2007, 16:21:54 »
ray hoovered up leaves in the garden with his leaf vaccuum, I did the ironing, that's that done for another month  ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2007, 16:23:01 »
Had a really thrilling time with my new chain saw this morning.

It came as a "free" attachment to my new strimmer (old one died) and I have not dared to use it for a couple of weeks. In fact husband tried to forbid me to use it. But there is a huge overgrown hazel hedge nearby alongside my allotment and today I cleared away some brambles and nettles (in case I tripped and sliced my foot off) and very gingerly started it up and held it against a low branch.

Magic! Slices through like butter! Only did 8 branches then had to go home, but I have great plans.

Eg: bender for sheltering in when it rains; rustic wattle fence all round the plot to keep dogs off; endless supply of hazel poles bigger than my loppers can cope with;  bender village when grandsons come to stay for a few months from January, hoping they will build their own shelters, and cook their own suppers on bonfires at weekends!

Any suggestions?

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2007, 16:47:16 »
Nothing as no 1 son came back from school sick @10am... managed to get Sainsbo's for the week done before 11. Spent rest of day cleaning up vomit both no1 and no2 sons had left in strategic positions... like the Duvets!
 :o

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2007, 18:55:08 »
Nothing! Went diving instead, Bl**** cold :(

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2007, 19:17:56 »
Spent the morning at the plot.  Finished making two beds at the shed end, where the soil is very poor.  Made a narrow bed for herbs and an 8x8 ish for flowers - spread the wood ash over that one.  Raided the wood chip mountain for the paths.  Was admiring my work when the school party arrived.  Two teachers, three children.  Two mouthy ones started the minute they spotted me, after about 45 mins I'd had enough and packed up to leave.  One teacher then noticed (they had done nothing the whole time) and came to apologise and excuse - I wasn't very gracious and suggested that he needed to exercise better control or not bring them to the plot again.

Still grumpy when I got home, so phoned the school and had a rant at one of the deputy heads - feel better now ;D

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2007, 19:47:21 »
We went out for a pub lunch with friends! A day off!! (Well, some of the day.)

Yesterday morning was a Committee meeting. Retiring secretary couldn't make it, so I took over & did minutes; retiring chairman opened the meeting & passed it to OH who is now chairman! Did meeting, went home & typed up minutes.

After lunch went to plot to be met with news of hysterical neighbour who had complained about a plot-holder cutting down undergrowth & pruning trees near her fence; she'd called in the local councillor who had attempted to restore peace. Also spoke to several members about things like controlling children on site & looking after bonfires; investigated drainage ditches which needed clearing; gave advice on club root; looked at area being prepared as car park extension by water board contractors (in return for them using the site meantime to store materials); liaised with stables. Went home, got the cats in, e-mailed local councillor, cooked & ate meal, watched telly....

So this morning: wrote several letters on minor allotment matters; e-mailed contractor with our complaints; received e-mail from councillor, phoned him back & arranged a meeting; tried to contact irate neighbour, couldn't so wrote a letter instead; received & replied to e-mails from local authority allotment association.

Then we went out for a pub lunch....

Such are the joys of self-management. (But if you're in charge, at least you know it's well organised!)

(Some days I do gardening....)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2007, 19:59:50 »
I did not go to the allotment today, instead i made roast parsnip soup with the 1.5 pounds of parsnips i picked on sunday.

Just eaten that with some fresh bread from the oven - MAGIC!

Off to the mother in laws tomorrow so lotty will have to wait another few days.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2007, 21:23:56 »
Filled up the new leaf mold container, planted the broad beans and peas,  hopefully ordered my seeds from the RHS seed catalogue but when I pressed confirm in order to pay the screen came up as error, cancelled the direct debit for the three free £1 Grow your Own magazine, made spinach, mushroom and squash lasagne for supper and finally youngest daughter used my lap top to find out that she had got an offer for uni next year!!!
Oh , yes - and ate the lasagne with garlic bread, and salad leaves collected from the lottie this morning.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2007, 22:45:33 »
Only admired it (the garden) from inside while I prepared lunch for my pal.
I just need 4 more hours (sunny) in a day, then I could get out there and make some headway...... ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2007, 14:09:59 »
Harvested leeks, curly kale, last of the tomatoes & cooking apples.

Trimmed back the herb garden, took the bean canes down, dug up all the calendula plants and saved the seed and then sat in Ahmed's shed in the lovely warmth listening to him and Jack blather on about nothing in particular  :)

HEAVEN  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2007, 14:33:02 »
Picked more tomatoes from the G'house... cut the Dahlias/Sunflowers and Chrysathemum's then wasted an hour trying to find the camera! Going back to strike some Jostaberries, protect the Echium's and possible pick a thousand quince!
 ;D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2007, 14:33:54 »
 A THOUSAND!  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2007, 14:36:11 »
If I include the ones with Brown rot, that have split or just fallen as well... probably an understatement.. partly why I'm narked at not being able to find the camera! Meech's"Prolific"
 ;D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2007, 14:38:28 »
Do you have medlars as well Saddad?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal