Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 886246 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2007, 17:58:07 »
Owwwwwww, every week I think 'this is catching up on plot and garden week and I'm going to do nothing else' and what happens?......I end up babysitting my lovely grandaughter because her Mother has yet another staffing crisis.........and I wouldn't change it for the world ;D ;D. Maybe next week............
Smile, it confuses people.

Rohaise

« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2007, 18:01:04 »
Hallo all!   Did a pile of washing and got it dry on the line !  Sunny day in Cornwall!
     put up those aluminium foil covered polystyrene windscreen covers I,d bought in a Woolies sale....up in the green house and checked the heater working still...then spent the rest of the day painting our old wagon...and thinking where can I buy a massive tarpulin (CHEAP )to cover it over the winter....then wondering how do I get black metal paint off my hands !  All,s well in the veg plot..I seem to be keeping on top of it ,with the incinerater smouldering away most of the time....I do love my incinerater !
   I loved those pictures of the dissapearing firtree Froggy..I might tackle one of mine tomorrow !   :D Rohaise x

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2007, 18:03:47 »
Got to the allotment today, finished digging a bed (one more to do) and spread it with goat manure. Still need to source some black polythene, but thinking about black rubbish sacks!
I didn't thin kI would have any veg ready, but came home with perfect long parsnips, chard (a bit speckled), carrots (fly has had some of them), swede (had slugs and flea beetle), Turnip (had been a bit slugged) and Black winter radish.
Got home checked the egg port and had 2 eggs :)

This afternoon I cooked a winter veg soup :)
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2007, 18:25:36 »
Lovely sunny day here today. Didn't go to the allotment, feel a bit tired today. Decided to stay at home and do some garden tidying instead. Painted a second coat of paint on my new cold frames. Looking smart now.
Saved some rocket seeds for next season. Tied some of my toilet roll tubes into sevens. The greenhouse is all ready for *GO* for next season now. All pots and trays are in place and clean. I didn't like doing that in the spring when it was freezing cold.  ;)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2007, 19:35:44 »
I'll see you there Scousers, I'll bring the spuds.  ;D ;D ;D :-*
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2007, 19:38:47 »
brilliant, ck..you'll need about 40  ;D
5 o'clock prompt , oh, by the way, you're in charge of the sparklers  ;D

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2007, 19:45:49 »
loo rolls in sevens???????????

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2007, 19:51:59 »
I was thinking that Andy, Scousers can I borrow your gardening gloves in case I burn my fingers, H&S and all that.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2007, 20:16:27 »
 ;D ;D ;D

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2007, 20:26:56 »
Re:-*Loo Rolls In Sevens*....Just make a circle with them and of course one goes in the middle. Tie them together so they don't fall over in your seed tray. I will fill them with compost when it's time for planting.  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2007, 20:36:20 »
Oh right! thought for a moment it was agreenhouse double glazing type thing.... ;)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2007, 11:17:04 »
Yesterday got rid of what was left of my conifer,then in the evering went to watch Arsenal beat Sheffield 3-0,it cost for 2 adults 2 kids and a oap £80 to get into see the match which i thought was a bit over the top, to see 11 men with names i cannot pronounce kick a bag a wind about for 90 Min's, but the others seemed to(can ya tell I'm not a football fan)enjoy it. Today I'm going to saw up whats left of the conifer and make anther log pile for the garden as they are great for attracting wildlife into the garden.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2007, 16:04:40 »
That's reminded me that I've still got the trunk from my Christmas tree on the patio!! Must chop it up and add to the wildlife habitat I'm building on my allotment.
I planted my garlic today. Some of it looked a bit soft- probably my own fault for leaving it in a plastic bag in a warm shed- hope it grows. :(

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2007, 23:23:14 »
Today I tidied my shed and fixed the staging for the greenhouse next year.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2007, 00:05:34 »
Repaired fencing, cleaned the hen house, cleared most of the greenhouse and collected turnip, onions, sprouts and parsnips for sunday lunch.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2007, 07:07:27 »
Have actually been able to spend much of the last two days at the plot, actually doing things!

Grass cut, edges strimmed, gooseberries pruned, early rhubarb split & replanted; OH has pruned grapes and replanted the strawberries; lots of clearing & general tidying done and a new compost bin built.

Phew!! Think we need a rest now.... (But off to a committee meeting this morning, so it won't be much of one!)

Oh, yes - I forgot. Picked globe artichokes! In November!!!! Two more coming on!!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2007, 07:14:41 »
It makes me tired just reading all that!! I'm hoping to clear a couple of beds this morning and maybe lift some beetroot.

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2007, 09:09:05 »
composted the last of the courgettes, gave the strawberrys a hair cut, checked out allotment - field beans coming up and so are over wintering onions - but so are the weeds - again - looks like this is gona be a long fight

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2007, 13:53:33 »
yesterday and today i have been spending time in the garden rather then the lotty as i have some jobs that need to be finished before frosts linger.

Been cutting new borders in the front part of the garden and am planting stuff that i have been impuse buying and not planting - bad me :) I also need to move 2 stepping stones these are just outside the patio door and before the decking. There a bit low and its a big step so by sitting these in the new beds i can raise them and plant around them :)

The grounds quite compact and the grass is causing some problems had started to dig it out and realised that i dont have anywhere to put the soil with the grass on. So I will bag this up and take it to the compost bin so that the grass can break down.

Dailiahs taken to dry, honey bush cut down. One of my tree peonys has already rotted down to the base (as i think they do each year) the other 2 are still in leaf. Begonias taken out to dry as per another post. Cannas and Gingers potted for putting in garage going to hold off for till next weekend when i move the shelving in this will then be covered in fleese and left :)

When i am on the lotty i need to pick some parsnips - yum yum
Going to take back some wood from the allotment to help build up the levels once i have them all planted up i have daf bulbs to go in and then i am going to cover in bark.

Only another hour of work time before it gets 2 dark so best get on with it :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2007, 14:55:22 »
I've moved the rest of my ton of manure onto beds, prepared the onion bed and planted onion sets. Also dug up some more beetroot. I do have marshmello strawberry runners but ran out of time to cut them so I'll do that next time. Sweet peas are still gorgeous and the clematis is flowering again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal