Author Topic: Frog habitat?  (Read 1786 times)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Frog habitat?
« on: September 23, 2007, 14:07:46 »
My pond is not finished yet, though my garden is full of frogs, big 'uns little 'uns, newts and a rather handsome toad.

I lifted some plastic the other day only to disturb 6 small frogs. I feel really bad about it.

Is there any special way of making hidey places for them other than plastic which is not ecologically friendly.

Ive put logs in variuos parts but they're not being used, do I need to line with leaves then put logs down? As it is quite dry under the logs. I have one border which is covered with sweet woodruff and wild strawberry. Thats hopefully acting as an evergreen corridor for wee critters.

Any help would be great.....fankoo ;) 
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
Re: Frog habitat?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 20:41:36 »
yes I worried about that . i,v finished my little pond but i,v removed the overgrown stuff and the (smelly)mud that was in the bottom.there were only 3 frogs in the old water the biggest one was in a clumpy plant I think as long as they have plenty of cover they should manage.I think they do like plastic they squeeze under the pond liner you could always put a bit down and pisk it back up in the spring, no one has told them it,s ecologically un friendly ;D
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Frog habitat?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 10:26:13 »
 ;D I like your style theothermarge!!

I do have places I could hide some plastic, even though I hate the stuff.

Thanks for your reply ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal