Author Topic: Wild flowers  (Read 2427 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Wild flowers
« on: June 24, 2004, 15:53:36 »
I'm going to do part of the garden with wildflowers. I've got a space down the side of the garage that never looks right, its at the front but tucked away. I bought some wildflower seeds today but I'm going to move the plants thats already there. What is the best time to sew this? In the autumn or wait till the spring?
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Wild flowers
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 15:57:57 »
Most seem to be best sown in autumn - that's when they would be 'sown' in the wild.

Make sure the land isn't very fertile as most wildflowers do not do well in fertile ground.

It's best to sow most then rake the ground. Many need disturbance in order to germinate (meadow flowers in particular).

Keep an eye out for weeds - although do remember that many 'weeds' are wildflowers! (I sowed some ox-eye daisies in one of my beds, then pulled up a few 'fat hen' seedlings, not knowing that they are one and the same!)

Next year, cut them back after the seeds have set and fallen.
gone to pot :D

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 16:08:30 »
Thanks Aquilega, I've only just...well last year, planted up this area, before it was just an overgrown mess, so I don't think the soil is good. I want it wild but not brambley, an organised wild. Thanks for the advice about cutting it back. I'm itching to get started.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 16:26:20 »
That's alright Val - I'm really into wildflowers, so glad to help.

And I should add that the spring after next, rake the soil to disturb the seeds that have fallen and they will germinate better.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 18:43:49 »
I hope you don't mind if I ask you about it Aquilega, I've never done this before, I don't want the stronger plants to dominate, but would want a few nettles for the butterflies, I think its a case of keeping an eye out and not letting it get out of hand am I right?

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 09:21:14 »
No no - ask away. I might not be able to answer all your questions as I'm still an enthusiastic novice myself!

It's about controlling nature.

Put your nettles into a bucket and sink that into the ground so the roots don't run everywhere. Cut them back before they set seed as well. (the foliage is great for the compost or you can make a 'tea' to feed your plants.)

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 13:11:17 »
Brilliant, at the moment there's one nettle where I want to plant up, so later in the year I'll pot it . I'm doing a reshuffle of bits of the garden, it should be ready by autumn, orobably before but I'll have to sit on my hands to stop the itch until then.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004, 12:30:51 »
Gardens Monthly (July) is giving away a free packet of wildflower seeds with the issue - I got two in mine :D

Debs

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2004, 16:45:45 »
OH   b....r, I've just gone and bought a packet. I'll still get it and sew another lot in spring that way I'll get the annuals as well as the perennials. It isn't a very big space I'm planting up, it will be okay, I'll just pull up what I don't want.......I'm a bit nervous of this, I'm programmed to pull up the weeds.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal