Author Topic: winter hanging baskets  (Read 1646 times)

clare

• Quarter Acre
  • If anyone wants me I'll be at my lottie!
winter hanging baskets
« on: September 19, 2007, 09:32:52 »
Hi Folks,

I have just removed my rather sorry looking hanging baskets from the front of my house and was thinking of planting them up for the winter.  I've never planted winter hanging baskets so have no idea what to plant - does anyone have any suggestions?  They'd need to be quite low maintenance so nothing that needs too much care and attention!

Thanks, Clare

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: winter hanging baskets
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 16:13:11 »
I went for really basic ones - layer of compost, layer of miniature daff bulbs, bit more compost then lilac violas in the top. When the cheapo multicoloured primulas appear in the DIY stores, they are usually very small plugs, so a few of those can be popped into the basket top later on for extra colour, without damaging any of the daffs if they've started to grow.  Dead easy.

If you don't want bulbs popping up then a bit of ivy, maybe an evergreen herb or two so it's dual purpose, and lots of pansies/violas at this time of year. Winter ones are so much easier!

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 19:36:31 »
Mine last year was a simple arrangement of Creeping Jenny, trailing Violas and a small Euonomous in the middle.  It helps to deadhead the violas but otherwise maintenance free.  Here's a picture.   :)  G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 20:57:04 »
Very nice Georgie...
 :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 12:44:53 »
Hi Georgie I had made a note of your selection, (hope you don't mind Clare) couple of questions, when did you plant up basket, were the plants from seed or did you buy as plug plants? Thanks Georgie.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 13:44:01 »
Hi Lorna.  I cheated with that one because I bought it ready made last September.  The nursery I bought it from were selling the vaious components (and lots of other things too) in 4 inch pots but it was actually cheaper to buy it ready made.   ;D  I'd say now was the ideal time to make one up.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 13:03:45 »
Thanks Georgie.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 13:08:47 »
creeping jenny in the basket is a great ideal my garden is fullof it! i,v grown winter pansys it is the only place they are safe from slugs
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal