Author Topic: pea soup  (Read 3972 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
pea soup
« on: June 24, 2004, 10:14:49 »
I can no longer see into my pond due to the amount of algae in the water  :'(

It's a new pond (less than three weeks old, filled with tap water) so I expected some algae, but this is ridiculous.

I've bought some oxygenators (although I'm sure i probably need more) and am rooting some watercress.

I will be getting more oxygenators and floating plants next week.

I will also get some barley straw - how can I identify if it's barley straw as opposed to some other type of straw?

Is there anything else I can do to clean it out? I will not use chemicals.

Where can I get pond snails from? will they graze it off?

(lots of questions again - sorry!)
gone to pot :D

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re:pea soup
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 11:15:58 »
Hiya!! oh the joys of ponding.Been there, done that, got the teeshirt.However mine was a fish pond and that is a very different and more difficult problem to sort out.

Because yours is only a natural pond it is far more easily overcome.You have answered your own question really.Plants, weed, and more plants.And even more plants,(and weed) still.The balance does take a little time,and the tremendous amout of sun we have had will not have helped.There are 2 types of algae.One is the "pea soup" type!! free floating tiny cells that cause the green water.The other is the "filamentous " type,the blanketweed we all know and love,don't we pondies!! >:(

The snails will help a little with the second type.The plants help because they use up the extra minerals that the algae need to multiply.Whatever people do say about duckweed it does do a good job in covering the surface and preventing too much sunlight.I have had 2 nature ponds in the past.Both well planted and I never ever get either sorts of algae.The fact that you are not feeding fish helps greatly also,as you are not adding extra fodder and getting waste produced.Have patience,and it will soon find it's own balance.Definitely don't start adding treatments,you are more likely to hinder the process.In any case,the presence of algae actually denotes a healthy pond,believe it or not!! it is just us that don't much like it. :D
Margaret

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 11:18:01 »
Also..............pond snails you should be able to buy at aquatic centres but don't go mad,they will soon multiply.And I have heard good and bad reports about barley straw.Never did me one ounce of good,and should not be necessary when the plants get going.But up to you.
Margaret

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 11:20:42 »
Thanks Margaret - you've really put my mind at rest. I was thinking I was going to have to start all over again.

It's definitely not blanketweed (yet). The only reason I don't like it is I can no longer see if there are any frogs in the pond! At least if the surface was covered in plants I'd be able to move them and peak in!

A(nother) major shopping trip is in order then  ;D

*aqui totters off to an online aquatic shop*

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 11:43:12 »
Wish I could send you some of my ramshorns Aqui (snails) as they do a great job in my ponds. Don't really fancy their chances though with the Royal Mail, do you?

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 13:29:07 »
Tap water shouldn't be so high in nitrates that it requires straw filtration, I'd say. That technique is best employed where you have stream fed ponds and the stream is taking runoff from agricultural land, where the use of high nitrate fertilizer can be a potent producer of algal bloom. The straw sequesters the nitrate, but eventually as it rots it releases it again (that's why there is a general acceptance that too much straw is not desirable in the garden), and I doubt if there's any real difference between barley, wheat, tritical, oats or rye - except in price terms. Your water hasn't matured yet - but it will, especially once planted, and I'd avoid using any inhibitors or filters in the immediate future.
Sumer is a coming in....

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 13:44:42 »
Eileen - funny you should say that, I've found an online aquatic shop that sells snails. I worry about how they'd get through being thrown about.

Gilga - I think i shall abandon the straw idea for now and get more plants in.

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 18:15:59 »
Don't worry about the snails being mailed aqui!  All kinds of horticultural good bugs are either mailed or couriered with no ill effects!  Ramshorns are definitely the best snails to get.   :D
Muddy Boots

alit

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 13:12:17 »
Hi Aquilega

I had the same problem for 2 1/2 years after having a new pond.  I have only just sorted it out by fitting a UV filter in.  I notice a difference even after just 24 hours.  It really does the trick.
Best of luck. ;)
Alit

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 13:23:33 »
Can't have anything which requires electricity in the garden as it's set away from our first floor flat and too long to run the cable.

It is clearing, though. The oxygenators have really started to work better and now it's more planted up, it is much clearer.

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 13:59:33 »
Doesn't anyone do a solar-powered or wind-powered filter? Not that I think you need one, just that it seems like a good idea .....
Sumer is a coming in....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal