Author Topic: Purple Sprouting Broccoli  (Read 779 times)

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
Purple Sprouting Broccoli
« on: September 11, 2007, 08:07:58 »
I'm confused about my PSB, because I thought it would be ready in the spring - but the primary heads are swelling now...
Have I just planted a different variety?  What size should I pick the primary heads? When I pick those does it stimulate the shooting bits?

It's exciting to think that I might have just bought my last head of broccoli in the supermarket for a bit!

How long do they keep cropping for?

Mini

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Purple Sprouting Broccoli
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 08:31:30 »
1. Do you know the variety? There are so many, with differing harvest dates. For instance, our Bordeaux is in full swing now & will continue until the frosts.

2. Primary head? I don't see PSB as having a head which is a meal on its own, as does Calabrese. As you can see, ours is getting on with it with the 'head' still in place.

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 08:37:37 »
Last year my PSB didn’t have a main primary head, just lots of small florets, they started producing early spring. This years plants are now about 2.5 ft tall and not showing any sign of producing any spears. I didn’t think that PSB had a primary head, like calabrese, but this is only my second year so hopefully someone with more experience will be able to help.

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 09:49:57 »
Mine doesn't look like that at all!

To be honest I didn't expect a primary head - but there they are... I'll go and look out the seed packet...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal