Author Topic: Thistle  (Read 10122 times)

William O

• Half Acre
Re:Thistle
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2004, 10:26:18 »
Hi Val, well my little dreamhouse would be a small old farm on the edge of woodland and open coutryside along a small river or stream. I know where to find these but they are not for sale and way beyond budget.  :-\

But I'm not complaining. We're very happy in our home on our 300 sq metres.  :D

But it is nice to enjoy these natural niceties in our country. Lots of people just are incapable of noticing and enjoying these little gems.
Happy Gardening

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2004, 10:38:38 »
Oops!  Better figure out how to post piccies on here then.  Hop field across the road will be ready for harvest in august!  Can't have plocket pining away for want of seeing it!  :D
Muddy Boots

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2004, 15:03:28 »
I'm going to ask my boy to help with some pictures , don't be scared folks it won't be of me, we don't want the computers down, Yes go on Muddy lets see the hop fields, by crikey we had some lovely times out there, as a kid it was great you didn't have to work all the time.What is 300 sq, meters in proper measurements Wills? Sounds big, just asked  him indoors, I got the idea, roughly the same as ours but with the house on, whatever it is as long as you're happy thats what counts.

Plocket don't think you'd like Dover much now, full of asylum seekers, they can be very intimidating,  but the cliffs are still there and the you'll pass  the countryside on your way down. Have a good time, is it for a day trip or a stay?
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2004, 15:20:07 »
Hi Val, 300 sq metres equals roughly 360 sq yards or 3200 sq feet (foot?)
Happy Gardening

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2004, 17:14:48 »
Thanks Wills , I haven't caught up with modern weights and measures, I'd still be imperial if I could. Good old £.s.d. doesn't sound the same now, give us a couple of bob, has a ring to it, 20p is boring.

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2004, 21:22:04 »
Hi Val! No I'm not that keen on Dover!!! Luckily we will just be passing through. A day trip from Staffordshire!!!! Laughed my socks off!!! We've got two weeks in France in a Gite, near Le Touquet. Can't wait. First foreign holiday for 2 1/2 years!!! First holiday that little one will fully appreciate hopefully!

Would love to see any piccies! Am so impressed with this facility on A4A!

Take care, Px
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2004, 07:12:53 »
Val / Plocket some more pictures from where I live.

The lake

Close to where we live

« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 08:03:16 by William O »
Happy Gardening

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2004, 11:16:47 »
Sorry Plocket wasn't thinking, so used to folk nipping over, You'll have a great time bring us back a stick of rock.

Wills piccies are lovely, you've got a lot of open space around you, are the fields grassland or farmed? or is it to wet? I bet you have a lot of wildlife that likes the wetlands, is it fresh water?........I can see you waving in your garden,  just had a thought is the black areas roads? if not where are all your roads gone?

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2004, 11:46:15 »
Hello Val,
The grassland is farmed exept for the last picture which is a small nature reserve. The black area is not a road but a meandering river. If you take a close look you can see some narrow roads on both side of the river. The other black areas in the centre picture is water between the more or less the rectangular grassland. So it is very wet and there live a lot of birds in these fresh water wetlands.

Our house is located in the village on the top righthand side of the lake in the topmost picture. But our national airport is also some 10 km further to the right. Luckily our house is not in a direct line of flight but we can see and hear the airplanes oin the distance. So it's not all nature over here, but still very nice.
Happy Gardening

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2004, 15:48:27 »
Hi Wills, I see the roads, I thought it was a footpath, Airports are something we all have to live with unfortunately. We used to have an RAF. base a few miles away but they do commercial flights there now and we have quite a few overhead. Handy if you want to nip on a plane but not so if you have them flying over.I expect we get some of your wetland birds flying over this way, just a short hop over the sea for them.    Do you get a lot of mists with all that water around? I bet its kinda eerie in the early morning , beautiful but eerie just the same.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2004, 19:32:29 »
Hi William and Val!

William - where you live looks gorgeous! So verdent! Is the nature reserve the one where you do the volunteer work? And do you have to worry about flooding in your village?

Val - Rock from France? No chance - wine, cheese - something like that. About five years ago we drove to Alsace in a Ford Ka, and managed to get 75 bottles of wine into the boot! I'm good at packing!!! Didn't have little daughter then so didn't have to relegate her to the roof!!!

Px
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2004, 20:19:24 »
The nature reserve is one of the places where we do our volunteer work. (Ain't it awfull). And we don't worry about flooding, but if the d**e (funny this word designating a structure that keeps us from drowning is modded)  ;D around the lake would give way the our fontdoor and backgarden would probably be flooded with 3-4 metres of water.   :-\
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 20:22:40 by William O »
Happy Gardening

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2004, 20:38:47 »
Hi William

Re potential flooding - eeeeeek! Glad I live on high ground. Have you got special defences? Appart from plugging small holes in the d**e with your fingers that is.

You are a lucky man to have such a lovely reserve near you. The wildlife trust near me is much smaller but really pretty. Must work out how to download pictures and put them on this site. Any advice welcomed!!!

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2004, 20:45:56 »
I'll give some advice on posting pictures tomorrow. And to prevent them form drowning children take
~~~swimming ~~~ lessons ~~~ ;D ;D ;D
at quite an early age  ;) , and with my size 13 clogs we will stay afloat without any trouble at all....   :D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 21:05:52 by William O »
Happy Gardening

William O

• Half Acre
Re:Picture posting
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2004, 07:17:20 »
Hi plocket,
for posting pictures you can get some info onder the A4A help button.

The basics are a bit similar to the moving text you've already mastered only this time you use the button with the framed picture in it. You end up with code like this (NB the outer brackets should be square [ ] but then this line wouldn't show up in this posting.

{img]http://site.com/image.gif[/img}

But more important is the question "where to put the picture you want to link to?" You can't add or copu a picture into the text. It has to be available somwhere  on the web in order to be linked to. Linking to pictures on your PC won't work.

You could link to existing pictures on other sites like the tourist office or dedicated gardening sites for plants and flowers. But that's not a nice thing to do. Firstly because of possible copyright violations and secondly because you generate virtual traffic to that other site and nick some of their bandwidth.

So the best thing to do is to upload the picture to some place on the web that is yours. I ve got my own homepage and I uplink my photos to that place. Its a couple of MB for which I pay my provider.

So there are three steps you need to master:
  • making or getting digital photo's (your own or from elsewhere)
  • Uploading them to your own webspace
  • Linking the picture in your posting
Good luck ??? ??? :-\ :-\ :) :) :D :D
Happy Gardening

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2004, 08:36:55 »
Hi William - is that a picture of you after coppicing?

Thanks for the info. Don't have a webpage and don't intend to for the near future. I will just have to admire your pictures!!!

I'm rooting for Holland tomorrow - OH supporting Portugal because "they make better wine" - most unusual excuse I have ever heard, especially since they beat us! We have a small bet on! Any dutch (polite) cheers you can teach me?

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2004, 08:48:17 »
Hi plocket there are some specialized sites that allow you to post pictures on the web, but I don't know much about that, maybe some others on A4A know more about that (you could try the pictures section) As for some polite cheers, toasting with portugese wine 'vino verde' would be "proost" (pronounced proast) and to cheer on the Dutch team an appropriate cheer would be "AANVALLEN" (attack) sounds a bit like AAH'N'FALL'AN best tried after a couple of strong beers or (half) a bottle of Portugese wine.
 8)
Happy Gardening

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2004, 09:32:20 »
Cheers William! I'm not going to drink the Portugese wine on Wednesday - I'm firmly behind the Dutch! I will try to remember "Aanvallen" and will shout with all my might when necessary - I don't really follow the football but when I have been told which goal my team are aiming at I can generally get the hang of it! Only joking - I'm married to a keen Liverpool supporter so have picked up the odd thing or two about footie - but not the offside rule!!!

Hope you have a good day! Px

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2004, 13:19:39 »
A good place to store your photos prior to xfering them here is Photobucket.com this is the one most members use.It's free and you just copy and paste the BOTTOM line in between the[img]......[img]  which appear when you click on the little picture image William mentioned.If you are having difficulties dont be afraid to ask.You will always find someone to help on A4a.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2004, 16:19:49 »
Hi Budgiebreeder - thanks for that. Just to clarify - I can scan in a picture then sort it through Photobucket.com (which I haven't yet looked at but will) and then can put it in here? Sounds easy - even to an non-techie like me!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal