Author Topic: Thistle  (Read 10040 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Thistle
« on: June 22, 2004, 17:56:37 »
I have a large thistle growing in front of my foxgloves, I was going to dig it out but the noticed the sparrows eating it, anyone know why they do this?
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

ken (69)

• Acre
Re:Thistle
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 15:07:04 »
Perhaps they think it's a foxglove, or they're after aphids, or the seed. It;s nice to see our local councils leaving the roadside verges and vacant ground for the wildlife.Let your thistle live,Val, as a contribution.

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 15:34:01 »
Hi Val, how is life on the plotty. The Beebs servers seem to be down.

The House Sparrow will eat just about anythinganimal and vegetable. 838 different types of food have been found in their stomachs. (Thats science) they also seen

During the spring they seem to be specially attracted to yellow flowers for unknown reasons.

With todays storm thistle and sparrow will probably both be blown away

Happy Gardening

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 16:03:38 »
 8)Hi Wills, thought everyone had deserted me, Its definately the thistle leaves they're eating, not the foxglove, I'm going to leave it Ken, its their garden to, we went to Ashford the other day and the amount of different wild flowers along the verges was lovely to see, poppies etc. it took me back to the 50's..... Have you got this wild wind too Wills? My front garden is full of branches and leaves, its all swirling around out the back, as soon as we get a bit of rain the wind dries it up.Looks like it'll be a clean up day tomorrow.

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 16:30:42 »
Well we already had lots of rain wind and hail this morning.The garbage containers ar all on their backs at least the ones that were emptied today.

And over here about ten years ago they stopped spraying the green stuff on the sides of the roads. Now there are popies and blue and yellow flowers along the roads. Much nicer.
Happy Gardening

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 16:44:07 »
Sounds beautiful William! I wish they would let things be over here.
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 16:54:52 »
Might be a bit of a disappointment. Having not much nature and wild life in the first place we're easy to please
Happy Gardening

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 19:00:59 »
What do you mean not much in the way of wildlife and nature? There must be something? Birds - squirrels - bats? I've never been to Holland but I always imagine it to be a lush haven!  :)
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 19:14:46 »
Well Plocket, maybe I overestimate the amount of empty space and nature you've got on the British Isles. I've hiked the Scottish highlands in a group and solo, camping on my own in the Scottish mountains (Monadliath). That's what I call space, nature and wildlife. We've got lots of beautifull places and wildlife, but nothing to compare with that.

Happy Gardening

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 19:20:05 »
Ahh William! The Scottish Highlands are rather exceptional. Unfortunately though I don't live in a croft with no electricity and nature as neighbours. I live on the outskirts of town - although there are lovely canals, a river, and plenty of fields close by. But I guess it is what we get used to or take for granted. I used to live on the outskirts of London so nature means so much more to me now than pigeons and rats!!!

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 13:17:14 »
Hi Wills and Plocket, Scottish highlands are wild Wills, here down south we have a much more gentle nature, as you saw on Britain goes wild. Also towns and cities where I should imagin there's even less wild life, I think we have to love where we're at and try to improve what we've got, I'm sure your country is beautiful Wills, different maybe but lovely all the same.

How are you Plocket, did you get much of the storm yesterday? We've had a few things blown over and down, clearing up today, the winds have dropped.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 13:33:46 »
Hey Val! Pretty windy here! Would have loved thunder and lightning!!! Euc blew down again so I have sawn it off at about 4 foot! It will sprout and keep going from there. I just got fed up with trying to keep it up. I guess I shouldn't live atop a hill!!!

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 13:49:49 »
Hi Val, you're right about trying to imrove what we've got.
I don't know if I've told you this before, but during the winter months I join a group of volunteers and every other saturday we go afield and coppice willows, ash and other coppiced trees. Just to do a little maintenance on our traditional countryside (polders, canals, windmills and coppiced trees). And its great for wildlife. Nestingspace for birds and bats, some specialized vegetation that grows in the "wig" of the coppiced tree. And the nice thing is that the volunteers get to do the nice bits, the trees in the countryside, not the ones next to the roads. And all the sawing is done by hand, (not with noisy and smelly chainsaws). So its a good workout, with nice people in beautifull winterlandscapes.
Happy Gardening

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 14:21:02 »
William you do work hard. And you said there wasn't much nature near you! Love bats by the way - have pipistrels near us and we watch them on nice evening. Cute!

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004, 15:45:15 »
 8)Wow Wills, you certainly do your bit for conservation, good on ya, Sounds really enjoyable too, Do you take your flasks of soup and tea? You've probably got more nature round you than most of us have.

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2004, 15:54:16 »
Well the nice thing is that a lady takes care of the catering. (Coffee, soup, biscuits) And the activities are organized and sponsored by an organisation called the North-Holland Landscape. Our local group has its own workshed (more a house than a shed) and equipment at its disposal.
Happy Gardening

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2004, 16:02:30 »
Sounds very well organised, its good doing something with the community isn't it, makes you feel needed. We've lost that community spirit here, people are so suspicious of each other, its just little pockets of "clubs" that do anything together and if you're not a club type person its difficult.

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2004, 16:34:48 »
Well it is nice. :D

People from all walks of life and ages take part in a very relaxed and sociable way and it is not a closed club but rather open. Some people partcipate the entire winter, others join the group on a few occasions. But no pressure at all. Not on the amount of 'muscle' people put into their "work" and no social pressure like: "we don't do these sort of things in our club "  >:(

nice gimmick    L oo ;Doo-000-oo
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 17:43:11 by William O »
Happy Gardening

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2004, 16:40:35 »
Our local Wildlife Trust has "Tuesday Volunteers". I'm keen to get involved but can't with my commitments at the moment. When my daughter starts school I want to help. It sounds like what you are doing - but they don't have a caterer!!!

Trying to suss the gimmick!  ;)

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2004, 16:42:38 »
Moving text didn't work - just in case you didn't notice! Let me try again.....

How about this?[/font][/size][/b]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal