Author Topic: not veggies, hazelnuts  (Read 2118 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
not veggies, hazelnuts
« on: August 13, 2007, 17:01:27 »
or cob nuts, don't know the difference..three harvests in one, nuts, bean poles and leaves for leaf mould  ;D
excuse the weeds  ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: not veggies, hazelnuts
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 09:43:32 »
I'm totally envious of your hazel poles, I would much prefer to use my own grown ones rather than bamboo, although I do cut my own black bamboo poles at home! I'm growing some willow that I plan to cut every year for lottie 'structures'.....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 13:21:10 »
we've just transplanted 2 hazel bushes from our garden up onto the plot, we should be able to supply everyone  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 18:39:43 »
I doubt we'd get any nuts (tree rats)... but great source of poles...
 ;D

Joe

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 19:04:28 »
are cob nuts the same as hazlenuts then as I have a bush in the garden.  When do you know when to pick them and what to do with them,

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 20:16:01 »
don't know the difference, joe..we pick them when the cover, sorry, don't know the proper name,,is going brown..we've picked all these 'cos we wanted to bring the height down, there are still more on it, just not up at the top  ;D

oggiesnr

• Not So New ...
    • namejigsaws.com
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 21:06:40 »
On one half of our double plot I'm starting a small hazel coppice.  It's a long term project with 10 plants going in as soon as I've cleared some space (we've had it under 3 weeks).

They need planting at metre spacing and I'll grow them through fabric to control the weeds.

I should get pea sticks in 3-5 years and bean poles will take about 7-10 years dependent on weather.  I'm aiming for 30 bushes which will take up 30 square yards.  It will also give us a shaded area as well.

All the best

Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal