Author Topic: what do's a Treasurer do  (Read 2421 times)

sutton girl

• Half Acre
what do's a Treasurer do
« on: August 09, 2007, 19:19:39 »
Please could you let me know what a Treasurer do's please on the allotment as we are just setting up an association to run it our selve's
Sue

ACE

• Hectare
Re: what do's a Treasurer do
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 20:31:06 »
Not a lot of people would want the responsibility of handling the societies cash. But done correctly it can be an easy job.

Collecting rents always give a receipt.

Paying bills  always get a receipt.

To make sure that cannot be any misunderstandings  it would be wise to have every cheque countersigned by somebody else in office.

Get the organisation insured.

Always get a committee decision in writing  on any expenditure and do not promise plot holders anything, unless it goes through the committee.

An independant audit at least once a year.

You will need petty cash for envelopes stamps etc. But I found it was best to pay out of my own money, then claim it back. It just saves temptation.

Do not open a business account from a bank, it will cost you money, try and get a free account from a building society.

A good accounts book will pay dividends, do not rely on your pc it will crash one day and all will be lost.

Put aside one evening a week and don't let it slip otherwise you will forget things and you never seem to catch up.

Good luck in your venture.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 21:35:06 »
Sounds fairly thorough Ace... feel free to ask for more advice though, and be prepared to die in the job, no one else will want it! You may have to do an FSA return as well.
 :-X

sutton girl

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 14:19:41 »
Thanks for your reply will take what you said  and pass it on i wont be doing that job i dont think so any way .
Sue

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 01:35:22 »
Hi sutton girl,
                   I've just seen this post  ::)
I'm treasurer for my local nursery, and it's not as hard to do as I first thought.
   I keep paper records of all transactions, eg: purchases, bills paid, hold the cheque books and do the banking of all fees paid and fundraising.
    The cheques must have two signatures, either mine, the secretary or the chairpersons are the three people authorized.
    At the end of every month I get a statement from the bank and check the reciepts against it. I then put all this information into the computer and make a print out of it for the monthly commitee meeting. (To keep everything transparent) It can also be saved to cd but that is optional. I then keep the printouts filed in a separate folder for independant audits.
    I also sort out the wages, p60's and tax and insurance end of things for the teachers but you don't need to worry about those things. ;)
   You will need to sort out insurance for the plot in case of any break ins (Itemize everything)
      That's all there is to it  :P  ;D ;D ;D
It sounds hard when I am reading this back but really it's not that bad. ;)
    Saddad, you're right, I probebly will die in this job as I only took it because nobody else would  ;D ;D ;D
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 13:59:50 »
Good question! Our community allotment started to receive funding in April/May this year and we have purchased various things with the money. We have only had verbal explanations of the state of play with our bank account from our Treasurer at our two monthly meetings, and I can look on-line to check our balance, but should we now be receiving a written bank statement with all the comings and goings on our account at the meetings?   ??? busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal