Author Topic: A few questions that interests me  (Read 1808 times)

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
A few questions that interests me
« on: June 16, 2004, 18:22:13 »
Question one: Is it possible to over fertilise your soil? Would it affect your crops?

Question two: How do you go about changing acidity of soil to grow different crops that require various kinds of acidity?

Question three: How do you reclaim seeds from crops so that your not constantly buying new seeds and seedlings? (This may be a very simple, basic answer, but I am a total novice.

Question four: How much sunflower oil can a single head produce?

If I think of any more I'll let you know?

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re:A few questions that interests me
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 20:02:46 »
Hi trailrat - now there's a few to get us talking!

1.  I think so - a bit like people, there's a fine line somewhere between enjoying one's food, and eating until it's unhealthy, and carrying all sorts of health risks.  Veg can be over-fed - and grow too fast, too juicy, too soft, etc; and they fall prey to all sorts of pests and disease that a lean, mean veg shrugs off.

Easy to say - but lean, mean, ------- and tough?  Like I said - fine lines, here!  :)

2.  Adding manure/compost year after year makes your soil slightly more acid (good for potatoes); adding lime brings the soil back up to (near-)neutral (good for brassicas).  Going the other way - to get a more acid soil - a bit trickier to get something long-lasting, unless you grow the acid-lovers in pots?

3.  Can be done http://www.hdra.org.uk/organicgardening/gh_seeds.htm - unpredictable ("Mama's baby, Papa's maybe"?) depending on how the plant was pollinated.  And not worth it with F1 vegetables.

Hope there's somebody who knows more than I do coming along soon!

4.  Haven't a clue!  :)

All best - Gavin

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 20:35:24 »
2. Although compost & sulphur etc will acidify, & numerous things will give alkalinity, can you really change everything around each year as you 'rotate'??
Ours is a steady 6.5 & hard luck anythng that wants 5.5!! = Tim

« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 20:38:49 by tim »

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 21:10:54 »
Wouldn't disagree, Tim.

I've never tested my soil pH (ever, anywhere!); but I know that liming a brassica bed helps control club-root.  So I've only a "gut feel" to back up the theories.  

What change can be be managed is limited, and short-term?

All best - Gavin

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal