Author Topic: Tomato seed saving  (Read 744 times)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
Tomato seed saving
« on: July 26, 2007, 12:38:54 »
I'm saving some striped stuffer tomato seeds, left them to ferment for a few days, rinsed rinsed and rinsed again! and they still smell a little so I soaked them overnight, they still smell a little bit, is this normal, I've offered them in the swap section (but dont want any returns) any seeds saving experts out there???

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Tomato seed saving
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 12:42:58 »
That's my method and I've never noticed a smell... mind I've had my nose cauterised so my sense of smell isn't great. Let them dry off and see(?) if they still smell.
 :-\

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 14:45:45 »
Try again!  ;)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 16:48:12 »
All I do is remove the seed gel and all and either place it on a piece of kitchen towel or a piece of glass and just leave them on the greenhouse shelf until they are dry.

If I use the 'paper' method; once dried I just place them in my seed box ready for next years sowing. I then sow paper & seed simply because you cant remove the seed from the paper.

If you want to be neat and tidy you can lay the wet seed out in straight lines on the paper then when you come to sow you can cut the paper into strips to make it easier for sowing.

If you use the 'glass' method; once dried just scrape them (with difficulty) off the glass and put them in a saved foil packet.

The latter method of a derivation an old fella gave me many years ago, which was ;......throw the ripe tomato at the greenhouse glass and let it splatter all over the glass, then when dry put in a packet.  8)

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 17:40:50 »
Hello biscombe,The way you do your tomatoseeds is the only proper way.Just let them ferment in some water,than put them in a little sieve under running water,be carefully other wise all the seeds go down the drain.Then let them dry quickly,they should be odourless.I think the bottleneck is to slow drying,out in the sun is the best way to dry them.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 17:19:33 »
I`m in the squeeze and mould camp as well. After a few days rinse,dry on kitchen towel and put them in the fridge(those change bags you get are handy)

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 17:24:46 »
Smell gone! the seeds look great, all fuzzy like bough ones! I'm really pleased! fermention is the way!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal