Author Topic: urgent help - baby blackbird  (Read 3305 times)

Dusty

• Not So New ...
urgent help - baby blackbird
« on: June 14, 2004, 20:41:14 »
have posted on a couple of other sites which are probably more appropriate for the subject matter but no replies and I am desperate.

Baby blackbird in my garden - has been injured but not sure of the extent - wing and puncture type marks under wing.   Parents not been down for over three hours -  flies are now crawling over it especially its back.

do I bring it in and use animal antispectic on it and keep it safe overnight.   Would not normally touch baby bird but he is injured.  Will keep my cats in but there are other cats in the area.

any advice would be very welcome.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Re:urgent help - baby blackbird
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 21:21:28 »
Need so much more info.Is it fully fledged? Where is the nest?Is the mother to hand?If the baby is fledged you can get a dropper from Boots and give it Baby  Bird food  from a pet shop.The yolk from an egg would surfice .But i feel if it has fallen from the nest as they so often do just protect it from preditors and the mother will care for it.Where do you live?  I looked on profile but no info.?Failing all else ring your local R.S.P.B.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 21:23:51 by budgiebreeder »
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Dusty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 21:27:30 »
thanks so much for your reply.  Bird is I think at the stage where he would have been out and about with his parents - quite a good size.

have now brought it inside.    I knew it had puncture wounds and thought they were under the wing but we very carefuly caught him, the flies were almost covering his back, and found that the wounds were in the middle of his back.  I have sprayed with an animal antispectic and have put him in a box with plenty of soft paper for a nest.  I tried to give him water with a dropper and a little bit of egg yolk but he was not interested - Have left a little water and the egg yolk in the box with him.   Unless someone can give me advice I will either take him to the vet tomorrow or if he looks okish I will put him back a the top of the garden and keep and eye on him.

any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 12:53:55 »
Did it survive the night ?
Granny is still your best friend !

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 13:31:57 »
How is he today???Mother will be frantic looking for him.Is there a roof -Outhouse or something that he can be put on away from preditors.Please let me know.Taking him indoors is not always the best solution.But could be the best at the moment.Is he badly injured?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 13:36:10 by budgiebreeder »

Dusty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 00:10:13 »
thank you so much for your replies/interest

unfortunately - he died through the night.
we caught him - with a large fish net and he did not seem to be bothered  - I tried to feed/water but he was not interested.   Flies, which I hate above all else, were all over his body.  thankfully he was safe from them - warm and comfortable with food and water to his side -he died  - I hope peacefully - he looked at peace.

again my thanks for your kind thoughts to everyone one who took the time to read my message and  not just those who were able to reply.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 09:26:25 »
Glad you tried anyway Dusty.Unfortunately i had a Blue Tit flew into my front window yesterday broke his little neck i'm afraid.Suppose these things happen but still very upsetting.

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 18:51:27 »
Hi Dusty,sorry your wee invalid died ,it is always so sad,but you were a star and made it gentle ,peaceful and quiet at the end.

Well done.It is always such a gamble.

Toots :-[

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal