Author Topic: What to do with a glut of green beans  (Read 15332 times)

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
What to do with a glut of green beans
« on: July 20, 2007, 08:01:01 »
Does anyone have any ideas what to do with French Green Beans, other than freeze the excess?  When I planted the seeds, I obviously expected the birds to eat more than they have done, and I am now picking a couple of kilos every three days, and I can foresee this lasting a while. 

Unfortunately my peas were nowhere near so successful - one measly little bag full.

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
Re: What to do with a glut of green beans
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 08:19:53 »
I plan to use the glut of runner beans that I am expecting by making runner bean chutney/pickle. Not sure if it would work the same with french beans but I don't see why not. I googled it and found several different recipes, of course you can just freeze them but they will still have to be eaten at some point!  ;D
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 08:51:15 »
Make Gardeners Beans (aka Anatolian Beans):

1.5 lbs green beans prepared in two inch lengths
1 large onion sliced
2 large toms quartered
3 fl oz olive oil
1 tsp brown sugar
salt and ground black pepper
750 ml water

Put everything except the water in a pan with tight lid and cook over medium heat for 3 or 4 minutes shaking every now and then. Uncover and add water and simmer until beans are tender and most of the water has evaporated.

This is absolutely delicious, can be eaten hot or cold and keeps a long time in fridge. I imagine it would freeze well but ours never make it that far.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 18:01:11 »
I make a curry side dish with mine, can't remember the proper name for this bahjee, but I sizzle some mustard seeds in hot veg oil, then cook some onion and garlic, once they are soft and lightly coloured, I add plenty of blanched french beans and stir until completely coated in the mustard seedy oil.  Season well.  I have a nagging feeling there is more to that recipe, but I leave it at that and enjoy it.  I love it on it's own in a big bowl infront of the telly.  YUM!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 18:43:11 by EJ - Emma Jane »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 18:04:14 »
I make a curry side dish with mine, can't remember the proper name for this bahjee, but I sizzle some mustard seeds in hot veg oil, then cook some onion and garlic, once they are soft and lightly coloured, I add plenty of blanched french beans and stir until completely coated in the mustard seedy oil.  Season well.  I have a nagging feeling there is more to that recipe, but I leave it at that and enjoy it.  I love it on it's own in a bug bowl infront of the telly.  YUM!

That sound fab, not sure about the 'bug' bowl though, a large ladybird or beetle?! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 18:43:29 »
hehehehe.  Corrected now.  Ladybird I think would be prettier.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 22:12:41 »
In the past when I've had a glut, I've let them grow on a bit, till the seeds are a reasonable size, then just save the seeds, either freezing them and using them like peas, or drying them and treating them like any other dried pulse.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 08:52:13 »
Thanks for the replies. Isbisiter - I tried your beans last night, with the added flavour of a fennel bulb chopped up - it was delicious. Will do that one again!
Geoff - had never thought about doing that with the beans themselves. Will definitely do that with the excess that I haven't got round to picking yet. And EJ, yours is next on the list!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 10:09:43 »
Look on the net for Thanksgiving Green Beans.You will find many recipes for them as it is a very important dish for the US. There are a great many variations some with nuts, some casseroled in mushroom soup etc,lots to choose from XX Jeannine.

I will post my favourite if you don't find something you like
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 18:54:58 »
I made it last night and checked the recipe, Gujareti Sem it is called, and they don't add the onion and add chilli.  I still added the onion, and the chilli and hub and I scoffed the lot with spicy spuds and curry.  Delicious!

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 09:21:30 »
Found this for you, not tried it yet, says runer beans but I suppose any beans will do!

Green Bean Chutney

Ingredients:
2 pounds runner beans, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch lengths
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt for water
1 1/2 pounds shallots, peeled and chopped
2 1/4 cups malt vinegar
1 1/2 pounds  Natural Demerara Sugar
1 teaspoon Coleman's Dry English Mustard Powder
1 1/2 tablespoons ground turmeric
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Method:
Cook the beans in salted water for 5 minutes and drain.  Cook the shallots in half the vinegar for 10 minutes, then add everyting except the remaining vinegar and cornstarch to the pan.  Cook slowly for approximately 30 minutes.  Mix the cornstarch with the remaining vinegar, add this mixture to the bean mixture and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring constantly.  Decant into clean, sterilized, sealable jars and keep for a few weeks, if you can before eating.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 09:45:02 »
Biscombe that sounds so lovely will certainly be giving it a go :) :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal