Author Topic: Newbie Logging In  (Read 3063 times)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Newbie Logging In
« on: July 19, 2007, 11:44:49 »
Morning all.  Just to introduce myself as an 'old' newbie - that is I have had my plot since last September. I am in Dartford, Kent.  I pay about £20 a year and for that we get a water supply and the common and grassed lanes between the plots mown.  There doesn't seem to be any restriction on sheds being allowed. 

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
Re: Newbie Logging In
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 12:00:29 »
welcome twinkletoes :)
I've had my plot since last October so I'm still a newbie too – there are lots of us around!
there are also lots of very knowledgeable peeps on here who are happy to answer our most basic questions ;D
enjoy!!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 16:49:17 »
hiya, twinkletoes, nice to have you aboard  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 08:05:37 »
Morning Twinletoes..
 ;D

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 22:28:09 »
Hey twinkletoes & welcome to the madhouse  ;)

We've only had our plot since January this year, so still a newbies too, but have learnt loads off the superb peeps on this site already  ;D

Look forward to some pics of your plot as you (gradually  ::) ) get it looking how you want - but don't forget to have fun along the way  ;)  Good luck x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 23:14:35 »
Hi Twinkletoes,  I've only had my plot since March this year and don't have a great deal growing in it yet.

Have ordered a bunch of seeds from suttons (other suppliers are available!) so I can get some stuff going, but I always seem to be running to stand still with these blasted weeds! 

Welcome to the forum - you'll be happy here :D
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 23:32:32 »
Nice to meet you  :D

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 10:17:51 »
Morning all.  Thanks for the welcome.  Sorry to be so long getting back.  I actually originally got the plot for OH as he was taking early retirement and wanted to work an allotment.  Yeah right!  After a few sessions of clearing the site (it was very overgrown and had 3 baths on it amongst other stuff) - he developed a "glass back"  :-X :)  Still, I carried on myself and love it.  I will post some pics when I have worked out how to do it.  I have loads growing - cabbages (summer and winter), brussels, broccoli, carrots, aubergine, onions, leeks, globe artichoke, swede, turnips, runner beans, broad beans, french beans, early pots and later ones, Jerusalem artichokes, asparagus, caulis, sweetcorn and courgettes.  The butternuts are looking a bit feeble but......next year!   I also have some blackcurrant and gooseberry bushes and rhubarb...........and heaps of flipping brambles - which are cropping profusely.   ;D 

Not everything is perfect - the caulis are a challenge and so are the Jerusalem artichokes.  But next year....

Twinkletoes

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 17:39:07 »
How are the JA's a problem? Except when you try to get them all out?
 ???

MPG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 20:05:27 »
hi ya twinkletoes, i have yet to get my plot, am hoping won't be too long. had 1 b 4 but we moved so am getting another here...

HO

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 20:28:37 »
Anyone with a name like Twinkletoes deserves a reply ! For those trying to get a plot dont forget that Local Authorities have a statutory obligation to provide allotments so challenge them and utterly resist any loss of these facilities.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 21:12:03 »
Hi Twinkletoes, great name! I'm a newbie also, only had my "meadow" for just over a week. Know what you mean about those brambles! lol  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 16:23:41 »
Afternoon HO.  Twinkletoes was my dads nickname for me.  We have just had 18 new taps put in on our allotment.  Next mission is to get the fencing sorted out........something high and spiky I think.  We, like everyone else, get spates of vandalism from time to time.  It won't stop it but it might encourage the little yobs to play elsewhere! 

MPG - where is "here".  I am in Dartford, Kent. 

Sadad - the JA's are a problem because only one seems to have sprouted.   I put about 5 "bulbs"?? in but only the one has finally put any growth on it.  It's about 3 ft high now.  I am assuming the others have perished but I shall look for them when I dig the good one up. 

Finally got my PFA up at the weekend. Managed to half-fill 2 PO sacks.  Also some carrots - one was a cracking straight 8"-er! When I think of all the time one of my mates spent sieving his soil so it had no stones in so his carrots would grow straight..... ;D ;D ;D  OK the others were not as big and perhaps not as straight, but......

Twinkletoes

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 16:31:44 »
Hello Twinkletoes!

Hope you have kept one of the baths - they are dead useful for watering - just dip the can in and you are away - Much quicker than filling out of a tap - plus the water will be a bit warmer so the plants will be a little less shocked if the water isn't ice cold!

I can't grow carrots - don't know why not but can't - probably doesn't help that I don't put seed in any more!!

Jerusalem artichokes  - it takes a hell of a lot to kill them!  I have hundreds of them coming up this year.  I planted some and last years excapees have all come up too - plus some from the previous year!

Good luck with your plot - I am sure other half can be persuaded of some benefits in helping you!?

Old Bird    ;D

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 10:54:38 »
Hi Old Bird. I didn't keep any of the baths as I knew I was getting some water butts.  They have gone to be recycled elsewhere on the allotments though. 

OH said he would go down to the plot this afternoon and do some "jungle" clearing.  He's not too bad at the destruction side of things but gives up pretty quickly at anything approaching manual labour - he's good at watering though.  I am at work all day so I am dreading going to the plot this evening after work to find he has also removed the fruit bushes/shrubs too  ::) :-X.  Still, the others down on the lotties keep on at him to go down there - even if its only to stand around and chat - me thinks they believe he'll follow their lead and perhaps do a bit of hoeing or something else equally gentle.

I must have the knack of killing off the JA then.  Wonder if they will come up next year like your escapees?

Have just bought a new camera so I am hoping to be able to post pics soon.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal