Author Topic: Another creature in my pond...  (Read 3025 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Another creature in my pond...
« on: June 14, 2004, 10:57:30 »
Mr Aqui enjoyed an afternoon of attempting to drown snails yesterday (it's a bit like having a young son sometimes!)  ;D Whilst doing so he spotted a new aquatic life in the pond...

A small (maybe 1-1.5cm long) fairly round black thing that looked like a bit like a beetle. it whizzed about under the water and would occassionally surface, before diving back down again.

what could it be? friend or foe?
gone to pot :D

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Another creature in my pond...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 16:36:55 »
It's a diving beetle Aqui - I have them too. They can't half shift themselves.  :o I haven't had any problems with mine but I think Margaret could tell you for sure if they're friend or foe. I simply 'live and let live' with mine.
Isn't it exciting when new creatures move in? Have you seen any pondskaters yet? They 'walk' on the surface of the water and look a bit like daddy long legs (Crane flies.) I love having ponds and wouldn't be without them now.  :D

Eileen.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 11:22:36 by eileen »

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Another creature in my pond...
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 09:45:51 »
No pond skaters. I have a new hobby of pond staring - I could sit there for hours watching the insects buzzing about above the surface of the water (mostly midges), the pigeons popping in for a drink and the reflections of the clouds going overhead.

I so want to be there now. bliss.
gone to pot :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal