Author Topic: We have water!  (Read 3164 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
We have water!
« on: June 07, 2004, 09:43:19 »
Wohoo. The pond is finally filled!

Bought the liner on saturday, lined and filled it sunday afternoon. Had to borrow a neighbour's hose to do it as we don't have an outdoor tap. Mr Aqui was willing to fill it with buckets from the kitchen tap, but after three bucketloads had covered about two inches in the bottom, we thought maybe it would be better to borrow the neighbour's.

Three hours later  :o it was full. Soon there were loads of insects buzzing over it and later, when we'd gone indoors, several birds had a drink from the edge.  :D

Only trouble - there's some oily stuff floating on the top. I think it must've come off the liner. I'll skim it off this evening.

I'll be out there late this evening to see if the frogs and toads are happy with it!

Pics to follow when it's looking a bit neater. We still have to bury the liner - too knackered to do it yesterday - bricks are currently holding it in place!

I'd much rather be sat beside it right now than stuck in an air conditioned office!
gone to pot :D

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:We have water!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 12:26:18 »
Really looking forward to seeing your piccies Aqui!!

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 15:32:11 »
Given your name, it's only right and just that you should have water.  You will have so much pleasure from your pond and, like Eileen, am looking forward to your piccies!

When I dug my first pond, knew nothing and wasn't on internet so no nice helpful advice like we get here but, nonetheless, seemed to manage okay with a little help from books.  Sadly, no frogs, but where it was there were none, however lots of other things to keep me occupied.  Had cats at the time who were livid that I put very large stone in the middle so birds could bathe and cats could not reach!  Balance of nature or what?  :D

My favourites were the empress dragon flies, they were so beautiful and, had it not been for an untimely storm, their larvae would have survived, as they spawned under the lily pads quite happily.

The best times were early on sunny summer mornings before work, when I just took half an hour of tranquillity before the hectic day, just watching and listening.  Great way to start the day!
Muddy Boots

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 17:03:22 »
Exciting stuff Aqui! The pleasure you will get from your pond will amaze you!
When I have built new ponds over the years, I always put in a bucketful of pond water from someone elses pond, usually my Mum's. (make sure that the pond is healthy!!) Heard years ago that it helps things along faster!
Also the other thing to remember with a new pond is to be very careful where you get plants from, I have seen a pond get duckweed almost overnight by the owner not being vigilant when they bought a plant.............course if you like duckweed then it is not a problem! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 18:36:14 »
Whoops!  DP just reminded me, ramshorn snails for preference.  The others invite algae!
Muddy Boots

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 09:33:02 »
Yes thanks for the reminder Doris. I must ask mum to bring some water from her neighbour's pond. I almost forgot.

Duck weed? I've seen people on telly put that in and I rather liked the look of it. I won't get any now.
gone to pot :D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 23:54:14 »
I hate the stuff!!  Spend more time skimming it off than enjoying it...but it is just a preference!!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 21:37:41 »
We made a small pond in our garden mainly for the children to see the wildlife and watch tadpoles grow.

Imagine my horror when as I was hanging out the washing at 9.30am this morning and saw that  our 'small but perfectly formed' pond had about 6" water left in the bottom :o.

Had to hastily scoop all creatures, water, etc out into large container, go to garden centre - where I decided to get a pre-formed pond, as a deterrent to kids with sticks & dog with claws.

Spent the remainder of the day digging, levelling and backfilling soil. The new pond is in situ but looks barren around edges so will have to finish it off tomorrow.

Debs

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal