Author Topic: Yeast quantity in breadmaker.  (Read 3528 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Yeast quantity in breadmaker.
« on: July 13, 2007, 07:32:53 »
Hello :)

I got a breadmaker from freecycle yesterday. I tried it out last night, and waited till 11.30 for it to finish, I couldnt wait till today now, could I ::)

I couldnt get normal yeast, so had to use the fastbake one. The book said to use less, so I put in 1 tsp instead of the 1 and half the recipe said.

The bread was lovely, but the top had sunk :(

Does anyone else use the fast action yeast, and how much do you use?

It's a Morphy Richards one, incase that makes a difference.

Looking forward to your replies, as I am already addicted, and cant wait to try an apricot bread ;D ;D ;D

Oh, and one more question, can I just use my normal bread recipe in it, or does it have to be the mixture they say in the book?

Thanks

cj :)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Yeast quantity in breadmaker.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 08:58:59 »
Hi CJ, I use the same amount of the fast rise as I would ordinary.
And yes, you can use your normal recipe in it.
I have found a bread machine is a bit trial and error, bit more flour next time etc. etc.
And I am a looker ( :o) have to keep opening up the top during the early process to see whats going on! ;D ;)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 09:12:36 »
Thanks DP

cj :)

Hot House

• Quarter Acre
  • Enjoying life
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 09:49:31 »
mine sinks some times think its to much water but not sure

I eat it how ever it comes  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 10:35:50 »
how much suger & salt??

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 12:53:24 »
I just use normal bread recipes in our bread maker, but I never add sugar and never more than a pinch of salt. sometimes I don't add salt. I can't tell the difference.

and yes - it often sinks, but I think that happens when the amount is too big and the dough hits the top of the breadmaker. I'm not 100% sure but it usually seems to happen when i make a 2lb loaf, so now I make a 1.5lb loaf and it seems not to hit the roof and not have a sunken top.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 12:55:27 »
have any of you used the recipes in the instruction booklet for the breadmaker?

the first time I did, and it was a bit weird, loads of sugar, salt and milk powder. But I thought, well, obviously breadmakers are a bit different to normal baking...

it was revolting!

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 13:04:18 »
The recipe I use in ours is for 1 1/2 lb loaf

water     230ml
oil           30ml
salt         1 1/2 tsp
sugar      2 tbsp
milk powder 1 1/2tbsp
flour         400g
yeast        2 tsps

Put them in order as written above.

I use sainsbury bread flour. The recipe makes very nice bread if it all gets mixed in well as sometimes ours doesn't get the corners.

I don't think you can use other yeast only the one saying for breadmakers.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 13:08:53 »
Up to 4 years ago i used to bake my own bread by hand i used to make white bread, pizza dough and irish soda bread. As i got busy in work i stoped baking so OH bought me a bread machine (Morphy Richards Breadmaker 48220 series 'Fastbake')

This is the recipie i use.

Basic White Bread
=============

1 1/8 cups of water (dont use cold water)
2 1/2 tbsp skimmed milk powder ( i usualy add a splash of milk to the water )
2 1/2 tbsp Butter
2 1/4 tbsp Sugar
1 1/4 tsp Salt
3 Cups Strong white flour * you can add a cup of wholemeal or grannery flower but check the water as it blends as it might need more liquid in which case add milk
1 1/4tsp Dry Yeast  (any brand is fine)

I add all the dry ingrediants then the butter cubed and then the water. I only use strong bread flour.

Use your large or 1.5lb loaf setting

You need to feed the fermentation process the yeast uses to make the bread rise with the sugar this also adds to the flavour and colour. Salt is necessary to balance the flavour and it helps the crust form. It also limits the growth of the yeast. Its possible to remove the salt but the bread tends to over-proof (rises 2 much)

If the loaf sinks in the middle you need to decrease liquid by 1 tbsp add 1/4tsp of salt and decrease yeast by 1/8-1/4 tsp.

Hope this helps.

Cambourne7
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 13:10:36 by cambourne7 »

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 11:17:28 »
I seem to remember some brands of dried yeast need you to add sugar and some don't - I think I don't add any because the make that we always get in our supermarket doesnt need it. But yes otherwise you have to add it.

i used to make it by hand as well, but actually once you find a recipe you like, and use the slow setting on the machine it really is very nice bread from a bread maker. I'm surprised.

But the difference in taste between fastbake and slowbake settings is really big. Does anyone else find that?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal