Author Topic: Ye olde sweet shop  (Read 14869 times)

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
Re: Ye olde sweet shop
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2007, 16:49:14 »
parma violets  ;D

Yummy, i love parma voilets i find that they are getting hard to find

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2007, 21:39:22 »
Oh Marymary - that bit about choking on boiled sweets rings a big bell. Was visiting a sister once and her three year old was sucking on a lolly on a stick, you know the ones that are like a ball on the end of a little white stick? He went running, tripped and it went down. The wrong way. We realised something was wrong when he didn't cry after being picked up. It wouldn't come out, couldn't even see it, but he wasn't breathing. Fortunately, didn't really think much, just plunged my (thankfully then slim) hand down his throat and just about felt the stick and yanked it out. I cannot see a child with one of those lollies even now, 18 years later,  without going and warning the mother about what happened to us.

Jenny, what a terrible thing to happen - thank goodness you acted as you did.  dangerous things sweets.  :)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2007, 22:39:05 »
I'm sure I've seen parma violets somewhere like Woolies pick n mix. They are about. I'll ask OH because he loves them.

Toffos ...original flavour
Highland Toffee
and I was absolutely gutted when hoping to get my teeth stuck together by fruit gums to find that they are much softer now.
Refreshers.
Midget gems

What was the sweet that you unwrapped and there was a mini cartoon strip in the wrapper. Was it a bubble gum? Yes! I've remembered- it was Bazooka Joe

There is a sweet shop in a suburb of Newcastle. It is painted that blue that shops to be painted in..especially fish n chip shops. It's all old and flaky. The windows are lined with jars and jars of sweets.  When you go in, it has brittle dirty old lino on the floor and a lone wooden chair with more flaky paint !  The sweets are measured out into an old weighing machine. Remember the sound of the sweets getting poured into the metal dish?  It is a real time capsule and I hope it never changes. Doesn't sell anything else other than some milk,pop and packet bread.  Wish it was mine  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2007, 23:21:47 »
You still get parma violet (gross) in selection packs.  My kids hate them so save them up to give to nanna.  ;D 

Used to love going into the sweet shop on the way home from school, sounds a lot like yours Heldi.  Mine was called The Candy Shop, and behind the counter were jars and jars, all filled with multicoloured, multiflavoured delights.  Sweet peanuts were always my fave, followed by a hard butterscotch that was cut on an angle so were like twisted cubes, very tricky to suck.  Mum loved cough candy and anniseed balls (gross) and my sister loved strawberries and cream.  ;D  Happy days.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2007, 23:58:56 »
Got to join in, mouth watering  ;D
Palm Tree toffee, wrapped in blue waxed paper. Marshmallows, but they don't seem to taste the same now. Mars bars were a rare treat, one would be cut into little slices and shared between us sisters. Did Rolos have gold paper wrapped round the last one in the roll, or was that just something my dad did? Also, did walnut whips have a walnut inside as well as on top? The sweets I hated most were wintergreen I think they were called, my grandma used to have them, just the smell made me feel sick.
Shirlton's memories of the High street ring a few bells, sometimes we went to Rossis ice-cream parlour. Mostly we used to go to a tiny sweet shop in Wood Street, Walthamstow - the chap there sold all sorts of tobacco as well as sweets, the shop smelled glorious. It stayed open long enough for me to take my eldest boy there when he was small, but closed shortly after. He still remembers it.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2007, 12:34:09 »
Agree with you Jennym!
Recalling after school visits to Mrs Abel's shop and the delicious process of choosing.....fruit salads, blackjacks, those long curly red things, gob stoppers, sherbet dabs, 'cigarette' packets, red and black berries, STRAWBERRY SHERBETS - BLISS.... so many...

I still love Parma Violets (easy to get round here) and with all this talk.....off to get a pear drop......yummy! (Our farm shop sells fab pear drops in jars). Now if they stocked strawberry sherbets.....

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2007, 14:27:11 »
What was the sweet that you unwrapped and there was a mini cartoon strip in the wrapper. Was it a bubble gum? Yes! I've remembered- it was Bazooka Joe

oooh, I remember bubble gum that came with a tattoo that you licked and stuck on your arm as well!!! can't remember what it was called though...

did anyone else ever make the mistake of inhaling whilst eating a flying saucer? not a pleasant experience  :o

I once swallowed a refresher whole and it got stuck halfway down, and I had to wait for it to fizz itself smaller – that was quite painful!

ahh, those were the days ;D

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2007, 19:27:36 »
nobody remember my peanut covered log thingy then perhaps i was dreaming it?

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2007, 20:18:13 »
Read this again and again.  I have always liked my sweeties, still do.  I am haaving trouble buying Fruit Polos.  I buy them in bulk when I can spot them.  I liked  Spangles,  fruit, old fashioned, acid.  Nice.   I remember liking Skippys and had one every morning when i first started work.  Also, Aztec bars, mint cracknell.  Penny daintys, Lucky Tatties, rhubarb rock.   :D :D :D :D :D

lottiewood

• Not So New ...
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2007, 20:36:31 »
Debster, I'm always asking people if they remember what you are describing! Can't think what it was called tho! Ialso remember counters...used to love them!  :P

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2007, 11:11:29 »
Greenwizard - Lord Toffington, I remember them, I thought they were called Lord Snooty, but now you've said the proper name, it's all coming back to me, they were toffee flavoured, and had a slighlty toffee texture - Ahhhhh Bliss!!

I too choked on a boiled sweet when little, we were on holiday, and I had "breathed in" a boiled sweet, my Mum picked me up by my feet, and bashed me on the back until the sweet shot out, I guess I was about 4 or 5!

Great thread this, really enjoying it

(found an olde sewwt shop in Sherinham at the weekend, bought Kola Kubes, Rhubarb & Custard and Apple & Custard)
Kathi :-)

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2007, 09:23:52 »
i remember horlicks tablets, pacers, sweet tobacco but two i remember and i have never found anyone else who remembered them are
counters they were chocolate round on both sides but flat if that makes sense the same as the all chocolate ones in a revels packet
then there was some kind of long round roll like a log that had been rolled in peanuts, i cannot remember at all what it was called though
did anyone else ever make the mistake of inhaling whilst eating a flying saucer? not a pleasant experience  :o

Hello Debster

Did it have a fudgey middle if it did i think it was called nutty bar as my postie she was telling me about the sweet she missed and it sounds very simular.

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2007, 16:11:41 »
i think it had a soft centre but cannot remember the name not sure if it was a nutty bar when i think back it looked a little gross

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal