Author Topic: Ye olde sweet shop  (Read 14876 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Ye olde sweet shop
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2007, 18:37:44 »
Ace, yes you can grow Tiger Nuts, there are instructions if you Google,would you like some to grow,I have loadsXX
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2007, 18:58:44 »
I remember spanish wood (liquorice flavoured). Satin cushions. Kp nuts 2d a packet. milk tray bar of chocolate. Imps were little black sweets that you could suck in class and no one would know. Throaties were my favourite. I'm gettin all nostalgic now. Remember going down Walthamstow high street on a Saturday when I was in the  convent and buying a glass of sarsparella wine for 3d. With the 6d left over we  could go into the Bell Corner picture house for 6d if we told them we were from the convent, They could see where we were from cos we all had the same clothes on. Those were the b***y days eh!
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2007, 20:26:18 »
 i am only 21 plus vat, and i still have my ration card and remember using it to get sweets...................Stop laughing
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2007, 20:43:10 »
cop cops & sweet tobaco. All my other favourites have covered.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2007, 21:02:49 »
Does anyone remember 5 Boys Chocolate with the facial expressions, and the Cadburys chocolate from the penny tray that was about 5 inches long  and about an inch wide, very thin.It came unwrapped!! I think I was weaned on that.

My favourite was the  4 inch long hard black liquorice that was thinner than a pencil. It came loose in a purple box at 1/2d each, there were even leaves in the box with it, we would dip it into lemonade crystals , you got 1/2 ounce weighed out into a pointed paper bag. It was a bitter as the devil and you sucked it to a sharp point. I have tried for years to find it but no use.

In fact, how many of us remember the penny tray.

My Mum used to give me sugared almonds, but I didn't like the nut,I would suck all the sugar off and my friend Conniethe middle!!!

Oh Memories,I think I will start a thread about the games we played.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2007, 23:03:15 »
Melbourne! Horlicks tablets - soooo good, all malty and crunchy and got stuck in your teeth.  :P :P

They used to sell them in the chemists but I haven't seen them for years. Do they still make them?
You been goofin' with the bees?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2007, 23:19:16 »
like the sound of horlicks tablets as I do like to eat horlicks with a spoon!  :P

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2007, 23:30:49 »
When I was little I used to love everlasting toffee, penny chews, those flying saucers with the sherbet in them.  I can still remember the taste of bubble gum as well.  Old people used to eat a lot of victory v's. This makes me sound really old but you could get a lb of sweets for 2 shillings thats ten pence in new money.   :P busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

powerspade

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2007, 18:42:31 »
When I was  litle nipper I love real liquorice root, sour apples, shertbut lemons, devon cream toffee and rileys chocolate covered toffee rolls. Sweets where ration in those days and I had to be patient as everything was on coupons, I think I was 5yrs old before I first tasted icecream which was given to kids in our town via the back window of the pit office (black market outlet)and I was 7yrs old before I tasted a banana

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2007, 19:23:55 »
I tell you something we did not have, werthers! What a load of bull that advert is.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2007, 19:41:03 »
double agents
aztec bars.......tv advert terrified me  :o
mint cracknell
lord toffington / fab ice lollies
mb bars
fondant teddybears......very expensive :(
chelsea whoppers

........just for starters ;)
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2007, 15:56:43 »
Pippa Greenwood on GQT today mentioned another one................

BON-BONS !! Remember icing sugar covered French Bonbons?

Loved them 8)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2007, 15:59:24 »
yes Brogusblue & norfolklass your right

i always though bon-bons were a little over rated

oh and there was army and navy drops? anyone rememeber them?

I had a job in a corner shop, one of my jobs was to pre-weigh qtr bags of sweets. It was great weight 2 bags and eat one sweet. :-)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 16:07:20 by cambourne7 »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2007, 17:38:29 »
Toffos, all different flavours!

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2007, 19:22:02 »
Toffos, all different flavours!

Yes! Forgot those EJ - brill.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2007, 22:06:29 »
Acid drops - always on journeys to stop you feeling sick.  And barley sugar Spangles. At Christmas sort of boiled sweets in the shape of little oranges, I choked badly on one when I was about 3 & alone in my room - my little life was flashing before me when I suddenly vomitted & out it shot.  :) Never, ever gave my kids boiled sweets.  :)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2007, 22:29:01 »
Oh Marymary - that bit about choking on boiled sweets rings a big bell. Was visiting a sister once and her three year old was sucking on a lolly on a stick, you know the ones that are like a ball on the end of a little white stick? He went running, tripped and it went down. The wrong way. We realised something was wrong when he didn't cry after being picked up. It wouldn't come out, couldn't even see it, but he wasn't breathing. Fortunately, didn't really think much, just plunged my (thankfully then slim) hand down his throat and just about felt the stick and yanked it out. I cannot see a child with one of those lollies even now, 18 years later,  without going and warning the mother about what happened to us.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2007, 22:30:03 »
i remember horlicks tablets, pacers, sweet tobacco but two i remember and i have never found anyone else who remembered them are
counters they were chocolate round on both sides but flat if that makes sense the same as the all chocolate ones in a revels packet
then there was some kind of long round roll like a log that had been rolled in peanuts, i cannot remember at all what it was called though
did anyone else ever make the mistake of inhaling whilst eating a flying saucer? not a pleasant experience  :o

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2007, 13:17:11 »
 ;D ;D ;D@ Deb. Done that and also coughing whilst eating sherbert fountain.  ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2007, 16:43:40 »
parma violets  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal