Author Topic: Confused of Preston  (Read 923 times)

Stevens706

• Acre
Confused of Preston
« on: July 10, 2007, 07:13:08 »
Now I am confused, I am reading Joy Larkcom’s book ‘Grow your own vegetables’ in it she states that nettle liquid fertiliser should not be diluted. This is the quote from page 57 “Use the resulting liquid, without dilution, when it starts to smell”.

Does anyone use it neat, I have been diluting it 10 to 1 so maybe I’m making it too week and therefore ineffective as a fertiliser.
What is the consensus from the forum?  ???

David R

• Acre
Re: Confused of Preston
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 08:30:41 »
diluted just means less nutrients per application. Dont worry as it will still be an "effective" fertilizer, just not so powerful!  The plants will take what they need from a dilute feed; which is probably most of the nutrients applied. When strong fertilizer is applied a lot goes to waste and ends up soaking away. ::)

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 09:14:46 »
I think it depends how much water you put in there in the first place -
Some people rot it down with very little water.  I half fill a bin with nettles / comfrey and then top up to nearly full with water.  Then I use it without diluting.

I also bottle it, and after a couple of months airtight it loses the gut wrenching smell...

Belinda

• Half Acre
  • Still learning
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 09:52:53 »
As said before, I think it depends on how you produce the nettle liquid in the first place. I don't purposely add any water at all to my nettle pipe, I suspect a little rain manages to seep in but the liquid I get is very dark. I go more by colour than quantity when diluting, tea colour as mentioned on this site - http://www.nettles.org.uk/nettles/activities/nettlemanure.asp

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 12:28:25 »
I would have said this year it certainly would be suitable to apply it neat and let nature dilute it  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal