Author Topic: Kumara growth  (Read 803 times)

finchy

• Not So New ...
Kumara growth
« on: July 04, 2007, 21:22:04 »
Right.... Kumara slips doing well and planted up in to pots a few weeks back. Will be popping them in the ground this weekend.

What sort of time scale are we looking at for them to grow and when do you harvest? I was a little late with growing these blighters but thought I'd give it  a go anyway! ;)
To plant today is to not plant tomorrow!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Kumara growth
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 14:12:32 »
are they going under cover, they do like a bit of heat.saddad, I think, harvested his in september last year, from the greenhouse..we'll be leaving ours in as long as poss, we'll cover them with fleece if needs be  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 17:33:34 »
They need to be in as long as possible... hence in the greenhouse in case we have a stray early frost...
 8)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 09:11:45 »
I have a bed of Kumara and used a polytunnel for half the bed. The difference in their growth is amazing. The ones that had the polytunnel grew like mad and the ones wthout was doing nothing. I'm going to buy another polytunnel so that all plants can have a good heat. :)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 12:55:15 »
Mine are in the ground outside now. I'm waiting to see what happens I'll use fleece if it gets cold again.
I think Kumara should be a bit more cold tolerant than other sweet potato.
Mind you my squash have only just started to grow after 3 weeks sitting doing nothing.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 16:53:04 »
Not looking good. They've not liked my windy plot.  :'(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal