Author Topic: Apple family trees  (Read 867 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Apple family trees
« on: July 06, 2007, 12:25:47 »
Has anyone got these ?  What do you think ?
I have a D'Arcy spice M26 and a jester/fiesta/jupiter M26 family tree.  They are both new this year and the D'Arcy spice has 4 apples but the other has nothing.

davholla

• Hectare
Re: Apple family trees
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 15:43:17 »
Bump

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 19:34:34 »
Give it time, and report back. Any top fruit tree will take a few years before it starts bearing properly.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 08:57:11 »
Thanks but I should have said. I am going to plant another M26 tree either sunset/Lord Lambourne/ James Grieve or a family tree of 2 of them.

What do people think would be better ?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 09:05:16 »
I have a D'Arcy Spice apple tree that I got years ago from Deacons.

It was supposed to be trained as a fan shape, but I lost a few branches for various reasons and decided to retrain it as a half standard. It is now a very productive tree, but I have to be careful not to let it overbear on years where it is literally dripping with fruit, or else it is inclined to biannual bearing. This year is a heavy cropping year, so I have been thinning fruits like mad! Very tasty apples as well, one of my favourites.

Lord Lambourne is another super variety, so that would be my pick of the three, but I haven't grown the other two you are thinking of.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 18:22:27 »
James Grieve is a good one, but I haven't grown the others.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal