Author Topic: Too late to sow courgettes?  (Read 8497 times)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
Too late to sow courgettes?
« on: July 02, 2007, 15:11:00 »
All but one courgettes I had died... Is it too late to start again?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Too late to sow courgettes?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 15:14:23 »
I'd chance it, courgettes grow like mad so, all you've got to lose is a couple of seeds..I'd plant them inside, personally, give 'em a good start so the sluggies don't eat them,  :)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 15:18:41 »
Thank you! I will sow some today. ;D
Yes, I'll sow them indoors as I lost so many seedlings to slugs and snails this year. Almost all beans and lettuces I sowed outside were eaten as soon as they germinated! :(

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 15:19:00 »
I'm still sowing things in pots: beans, peas, courgettes, cucumbers, sweetcorn, in the hope that the worst that can happen is I get a nice crop of baby veg in the autumn – some fancy restaurants charge a fortune for baby veg!!

in truth, I just can't bear to wait until next year when I've got more ground dug, so will be squeezing them in after spuds and digging like mad to get another couple of beds ready ;D

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 15:59:08 »
Probably worth a go. I think I will sow a couple - these then can be destined for somewhere that is amenable to cloche protection come the autumn...
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 20:06:21 »
I'll sow some more too, probably at the weekend tho, nothing to lose eh?!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 21:14:27 »
thanks for asking that - I need to sow lots of stuff again because of weather

gerbera

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 21:33:57 »
I've had exactly the same problem....all but 1 courgette plant have been munched by the slugs.

I've been feeling disheartened recently. Slugs and snails have munched courgettes, squash, peppers, toms, lettuce, beans....sweetcorn have just stopped growing (major sulk!), as have the climbing french beans.

BUT....I remember last summer. We got a good start...then August was an utter disappointment - a real wash-out (near me, at least), then we got a second summer which lasted well into October....and I got crops when I had just about given up.

So....I am arming myself with Nemaslug, seeds and a steely determination...(and praying for another indian summer!). ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 21:40:38 »
i think, because of the fantastic start to the year, we've all forgotten its only the beginning of july, there's loads of time, providing the weather bucks up, and it is a bit warmer here..as creckless says, we got a good, long warm late summer last year
we've just made a late sowing of dwarf runners, most of the crops had to be planted inside, until they were a good size, then planted out..next goes greyhound cabbage and idol cauli, they take less time to grow..we're going to plant some senshyu onion seeds, planted out later on, as the overwinter onions went to seed
there's still time to get some harvest...keep on trying, it has to get better soon, honest  :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 22:10:35 »
I agree with manics, I will sow a couple next week to prolong the season, just incase we aren't sick to death of them!  Same with sweetcorn, cucumbers, peas, beans, so on and so on.  I usually aim to sow a handful of runner bean seed during late July and I am picking these into October when everyone else has stripped their canes down.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 09:05:11 »
I've sown a few courgettes now!  ;D
I'm glad to know that I can still sow many vegetables. I haven't sowed any runner beans and thought it was too late!  ::)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 12:57:01 »
it's worth trying what you want, it's like warmish spring here so, all we have to lose is a few seeds and we may gain fresh veggies, even if they're babies  ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 17:44:50 »
Thank you, thank you,  THANK YOU!!!!!

Golly, how you've made an old Penshner-Lady happy 8)

I've had all (or most anyway) of my veggie plots  empty cos I didn't have anyone this year I could call on to water them for me while I was off on hols?..... :o  bit of a sick joke, it turned out?

So I'll certainly be sowing courgettes, at least, termorra....

Lish xxxxxxxx

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 17:56:08 »
This time last year we had just taken an allotment on and we were able to grow not only courgettes  but beetroot Spinach runner and dwarf beans carrots. and some quick growing cabbage. and of course lettuce. Give it a go.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 17:59:21 »
Well on the advice of our dear Jeannine I'm going to give growing squash/courgettes another go - despite it being late.

Most of my courgettes have karked it, squash aren't doing bad (but all energy is going into the leaves)

I reckon we can fool them seeds into thinking it's May. Whaddya-think? LET'S GO FOR IT  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 19:25:34 »
Im not trying to brag by any means but my courgettes are one of the few things that are flourishing with flowers galore but would never mind more so gonna sow a couple more this week.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 20:17:27 »
OK then.....let's form a sub-group of late sowers 8)......intend to try courgettes in peatpots tomozz & get them into the ground whenever.....think that this way they can avoid being munched by slugs when they've just germinated?......and then they take their chances.... :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 20:32:01 »
that's what I'm doing, mind you, not with courgies, got 2 plants producing...but, I've even put some little new potatoes, from our first earlies, in bags..no chitting, they've all started sprouting..it's a year to experiment and see what happens  I'm starting off the brassicas and lettuce in pots, the slugs are just ampant on our plot at the mo'  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 08:39:39 »
Who knows we might just have an Indian summer eh! 8)
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 08:56:46 »
The only problem I can see is light levels in the autumn. The weather can be as summery as you want but plants need light to grow and develop.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal