Author Topic: woodpecker made me jump  (Read 1824 times)

sarah

• Hectare
woodpecker made me jump
« on: June 25, 2007, 10:49:41 »
i was just staring out of the upstairs landing window looking at the wind and the rain and a small (fledgling?)woodpecker flew full pelt into the window and hit it with a right clunk, it managed to turn tail and fly up into the chestnut tree leaving a wake of white feathers floating in its wake and sat almost catatonic on a branch for about five minutes until two magpies came along an hassled him off the perch wherein he flew shakily and sqwakily down behind the woodpile. the magpies followed but couldnt get into the space (i didnt realise it was a woodpecker at this point; i thought it was a baby magpie). finally the magpies left and i put my waterproofs on and got a box and some gloves thinking i was goint to have to rescue it.  as i moved the wood out of the way he flew out (and i saw it was a woodpecker) up onto the fence. he looked ok and could fly perfectly and as i approached he flew away down the garden. poor chap, i think he must have been very shocked.  i cant find him now but i think he's ok. not sure if its a baby one or not. it was about the same size as a blackbird (bit smaller maybe). it wasnt a green one it was black and white with a red bit on the head. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: woodpecker made me jump
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 18:42:19 »
Greater spotted woodpecker.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 22:17:32 »
It could also be a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker:

http://noahsarkgardens.co.uk/Wildlife/Birds/LsrSpottedWoodpecker.htm

I looked out of the window and watched one on our pergola last week and by the time I went outside about half an hour later it was dead on the ground.  No sign it had been caught, just looked as if it had fallen off.  It was beautiful and I was really sad. :(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 07:47:22 »
lesser spotted is unlikely as it's a scarce bird which isn't normally seen away from mature woodland. It's only about sparrow size so the difference is obvious.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 08:14:51 »
i rather think it may have been a lesser spotted. it was smaller than other woodpeckers i have seen (although i did origianally think it was a youngster - and it may have been). the markings on the wing were more mottled or broken up as on the link you have given tullipa. i googled greater spotted and the markings seem more solid. it may have been a fledgling greater spotted. i hope the poor chap is ok, i feel that i should have left him undisturbed behind the wood pile.
there are a lot of mature trees in the vacinity; not exactly a woodland scene but i do live next to a woodland walk that leads to cliff tops. hear woodpeckers in there often but rarely see them. i quite often see a green woodpecker hopping about on the grass though. thanks for you help.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 08:32:49 »
Ours is/was definitely a Lesser Spotted.  He/she has been around for quite a while now, but I am hoping it wasn't alone and we shall still have them in the garden, they are lovely birds.  I hope you get to see yours again Sarah.  I think you live in a lovely place, with a walk to the cliff tops.  Just what OH and I would like when we eventually retire... :)

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 13:27:46 »
We have a pair of Greater Spotted living in the wood behind our house.   They come to eat on our peanut feeder every day.  Last week we spotted them bringing their two little ones aswell.  So now every morning I'm standing by the kitchen window watching Mum or Dad breaking up little pieces of peanut and feeding the little ones.  Oh dear, that's means I'm usually late leaving for work!!!  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal