Author Topic: How cool are tadpoles!!!  (Read 1304 times)

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
How cool are tadpoles!!!
« on: June 24, 2007, 00:11:51 »
Hi all,

I have ventured into wildlife!  A friend of mine has an explosion of frogspawn in her garden every year, and as I now have my allotment I asked her if I could have some, to relocate down at the plot.  So we scooped four out and now I am looking after them! 

I was intending to take them straight down and put them in my bathtub full of water, but they are soooo interesting I have kept hold of them at home for the time being - I hope this isn't cruel to them, they are in a fish bowl, with rain water and some twiggy sticks to climb on when their leggies get bigger. 

I looked on the internet to get advice on how to care for them and got some tips - anyone else got any suggestions?  I'm going to put a kiddies sand pit into the ground as a pool for them as my bathtub is too high off the ground for them.  What kind of things can I put in the pool for them?  I know they need a little slope so they can get in and out, but any other ideas would be appreciated!

I love frogs!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: How cool are tadpoles!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 12:51:25 »
We had tadpoles in the late 70s, as far as I can remember we kept them indoors in a large shallow dish, with rocks etc so they could climb out.  It was fascinating watching the legs develop and them slowly turn into frogs.  We used to change their water with river water.  We had a siamese cat at the time, and once they started hopping around she spent most of the time hidden away, she was TERRIFIED!
The Tuscan Beaneater

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
Re: How cool are tadpoles!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 12:53:24 »
Oh good, so they are okay to stay indoors with me for a bit longer then.  I have put things in for them to climb on when they get bigger, then I think I will take them down the lottie and put them in the mini-pond I am planning on creating in a large tub sunk into the ground.

Two of the four have died  :'( - they seemed to develop really quickly, much much quicker than the other two (who are only just growing legs now) so I wonder if they did it too quickly - they were very small.  I keep my fingers crossed for the two remaining, who are growing well and are quite big now!  Will try to post a pic.

:)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal