Author Topic: Wildflowers  (Read 1411 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Wildflowers
« on: June 26, 2007, 17:55:42 »
I want to grow wild flowers in my lawn.  Any advice on what to do ?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Wildflowers
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 20:06:57 »
Well dandelions, buttercups, clover and daisies will find their own way there!   ;)  Can you be a bit more specific?   What sort of wild flowers do you want? When do you want them?  Is this a lawn that's walked on or more of a meadow?  What is the aspect and soil type? 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 17:46:00 »
Sorry, it is a lawn (over grown at the moment) which people walk on.  However I would like to have some flowers in it which butterflies etc will like eg field scabious.
I am a very novice gardener, I have only had a garden for 9 months.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 18:04:23 »
I'd be inclined to go for some creeping thymes.  They are quite tough, will release a glorious smell if trodden on and beneficial insects love the flowers.  I'd also leave a patch of clover and you could try Phacelia campanularia too.  Suffolk Herbs and the Organic Gardening Catalogue both have a good selection of wild flowers.  Good luck.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

queenfishface

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 18:06:26 »
I'm no expert but how about chamomile?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal