Author Topic: vigilantes-V-village-anties?  (Read 1537 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
vigilantes-V-village-anties?
« on: June 21, 2007, 21:40:39 »
Debjay's post on the arson of an allotment/community building made sickly reading. I wonder what the final cost will be of this latest pleasurable pastime by these Gastards (a fittingly made-up word). Costs in so many different ways to all those people touched by this attack on ordinary people. Cost to local tax-payers? Cost of re-building? Cost of lost goods and equipment? Cost in difficulties to the allotment holders young and old? The emotional costs to all involved? All this and more because the Gastards wanted a bit of fun no doubt.

I wonder how long it will be before 'ordinary' law abiding people start to show their lack of faith in the law and legal system, the seemingly lack of capability to protect us could too easily get to the position where ‘normal’ people start to take matters into their own hands. That would indeed be a sad day should it ever arise, but who could blame law abiding people who take ‘defensive’ action against this nasty, sick and seemingly un-touchable section of society? Especially if it’s to protect that which is of value to them. The confidence of the community comes by way of assurance regarding personal safety and protection of property and is of paramount importance. Without that support, assurance and protection we have no confidence in the society we live and work in.

The present system is letting people down in a big way. Average, ordinary, hard-working people are being let down by a system that doesn't seem to respond to events. It seems to be allowing Gastards self rule at the expense of the law abiding majority. Even on conviction the Gastards laugh at the legal system.

I feel very sorry for Debjay and her allotment friends and I wish this could have been reported as an isolated incident. Sadly it’s not. It’s happened before and while we have this present ‘softly, softly’ way of dealing with convicted Gastards it will continue.

Like many others here I have been on the receiving end of Gastards. Last December I left my plot due to thieves and vandals and it was a very sad day when I looked over my shoulder for the last time at where me and my pal Skeela had spent so many happy years, I was mad, I was sad but it was only me. To see such a direct attack as the one on Debjay's allotment is something else.

Apart from the 'over-board' suggestions, what are the answer to prevention of these mindless, criminal acts? Apparently we have no answer, at least not one that today’s society wants to accept, but if we don’t find it, what is the future? Unless an answer is found to this seemingly un-stoppable rise in criminal vandalism we will forever be at the mercy of mindless Gastards.
  We have had this for too long, the present system doesn’t work. Things need to change.

...or am I just blowing steam?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 21:58:49 by kenkew »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: vigilantes-V-village-anties?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 23:00:52 »
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? I've seen vigilantes at work when I worked in a local red light district, and I don't want to see it again. OK, they ran the prostitutes off, so they moved to another part of town and other people got the nuisance. That solved nothing. At the same time, any woman on her own was liable to be harassed, and some felt quite threatened by it.

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 10:07:53 »
I think a lot of people aren't willing to get involved and say, hey, you, stop that. I was on a train not too long ago and some kids came on and one of them started carving up the train window. I just looked at him and said, you're going to be a taxpayer someday and paying for kids like you who do things like that! Stop it. Said a bit humorously of course. I'd rather not get punched.

Which led to a fairly amusing exchange about he's never going to be a taxpayer. I said, oh yes you will. He bet me £1000 he wouldn't be one, and I laughed and said, as if I'll take a bet with a kid who's busy scratching up the trains! But he stopped the graffiti and I even got a "catch you later" from him and his mates when I got off the train.

Of course, this way won't work at 4am...  :P
This year it's squash.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 13:42:19 »
Don't agree with the idea of vigilantes. I think it was Tim on the other thread who said it's a shame they can't be made to clean it up themselves and meet the people whom their actions impacted on.
People are not willing to get involved. A few years ago I was in my local shopping precinct. It's only small really and it was busy. As i walked past the post office i saw a large group of kids busy beating up one kid on his own. No-one said anything to them, people were just walking by. So I steamed up and shouted at them to pack it in and had a minor to do with a charming young lady. No-one paid the slightest attention.
It's not just in situations like this where people won't get involved. On Monday i was walking the girls to school and i saw a chap i see a lot - he is blind and uses a stick. He was waiting to cross the road that i was approaching. It was really busy and it's a hell of a road to cross as traffic comes from 4 directions and there is no crossing.
 None of the 8 odd people waiting to cross helped him. They all left him standing there. By the time I had crossed to his side 2 more groups of people had failed to offer assistance. I left the girls by the bakery and asked him if he needed a hand to cross. He was so charming and lovely. I spent the rest of the day in a foul mood with the human race.  >:(
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 01:32:52 »
The reasons are not difficult to find.   A recent survey was carried out in which the question "What do you consider should be the most important priority of the police in the foreseeable future?" was put first to a cross section of the public, and then to Chief Constables.

The majority of the public said "preventing crime and catching criminals"

The Chief Constables said "Reducing racial prejudice and racial tension"

The situation will never improve unless and until the Police are freed from targets and dictats imposed by Whitehall and are made answerable to the local communities which they are supposed to serve.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal