Author Topic: Our lotties are shot this year I think.I am so sad now  (Read 9516 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Our lotties are shot this year I think.I am so sad now
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2007, 18:11:39 »
Hi Curly, yes it is miserable, but I have to try to get things into perspective, What pulled ne out of yesterdays sadness was thinking about the  folks who lost so much in the terrible flooding a few years ago, completely wiped out homes, families, jobs , everything, and it could just have easily been our part of the world.

Hang in there, it will all seem better soon.

Hug button pressed for you :-*
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2007, 19:30:42 »
Aw curly kale it's such rotten luck you guys are having. Hugs from me too. :-* :-*

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2007, 19:34:41 »
Really sorry to hear this Jeanine :( I can't even imagine how gutted you must feel. Hopefully things will dry out enough for you to get a good clear up underway.
Whatever it was I didn't do it but if I should have done then I have!

Plot 24A
My Blog

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2007, 08:55:45 »
Awww no  :( XXXX
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

curly kale

• Not So New ...
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2007, 15:50:15 »
Thank you for the hug and comments.

Its lovely the way that folk at the allotments are pulling together - those that haven't been flooded are helping those that have. 

One of my golden oldie allotment neighbours suggested that I lift as many plants as I possibly can and pot them up temporarily in dry compost or topsoil until the ground dries out a bit.   I've spent the morning doing exactly that - fingers crossed I've managed to salvage something. 

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2007, 16:03:47 »
Have just read this thread and want to send hugs to Jeannine & Curly Kale for the awful devastation you've had - you must both (and anyone else in a similar postion) feel gutted.....I'm so sorry - can't imagine how awful flooding must be for people.

H.P.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2007, 14:24:07 »
Looks like it may be bad again tomorrow- hope you don't suffer any more. :(

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2007, 18:43:05 »
I understand that on Friday evening there were no Glasgow=Edinburgh trains. The lie was closed because of a landslide. My brother in France tells me they have had horrendous thunderstorms and entire houses have been swept away.. What price the 3 little pigs now?

Scarey stuff though. Our world is rumbling and things don't stick to the good old patterns any more.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2007, 18:46:09 »
The five-day forecast doesn't look very encouraging.  It's so WET.   >:( >:( >:(  We're going stir crazy inside when there is so much toi be done outside.
The Tuscan Beaneater

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2007, 18:52:14 »
Hi Guys,

I Have just been listening to the forcast and it looks like another nasty 24hours.

Most of the stuff on my plot has gone to seed and not really done much but thankfully not flooded.

I am only hoping that next year is better, big hugs to all and boo hiss to all the slugs!

Cambourne7

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2007, 20:11:24 »
Considering the great start to the year we havent had much luck weather wise... lovely hot early spring but lack of rain has meant lots of problems and now bloomin floods.

how you feeling today Jeannine?  I'm not worried about my pots which are under 2 inches of water.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2007, 21:06:45 »
I reckon Dad was determined to have it his way.  Lovely story Jeannine & do hope your plots begin to dry out soon.  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2007, 22:42:57 »
We had another lottie visit today and it really is bad.

The few brassicas we left in have turned to mush as have everyone of the bean plants and the foliage on the potato plants is dying off now, the melons in the flooded greenhouse have been chucked now.

While we there the rains cane down very heavy and within 15 minutes everything was awash again.

We stayed in the old greenhouse and watched the level rise. One end of it was about 4 inches deep when we left.

We managed to plant the sweet potatoes in very large plastic sacks and raise them to safety so I think they will be OK. The toms, peppers and aubs are fine and the raised beds are OK.

The second lottie which was to have held my squash collection is still totally waterlogged and the squash plants won't wait much longer if at all so it looks as if they won't get in anywhere now.. We also had some other brassicas in the home greenhouse that I had thought were lost due to hardening off, but there is no place to put them either so we will lose them too.

Ours is one of about 10 lotties on the patch that sits in a small dip so  it affects us a lot more than some others.

On the good side, we have some decent sized peppers  coming along nicely and a few tiny aubs.

An interesting observation. We have 12 hot peppers, all different, 10 have flowers or fruit, 9 of them have have white flowers but one is different and very pretty. It is a Variegated Hot Pepper, loaded with small violet flowers and about 8 or 9 small fruits the colour of an aubergine,( they never were green) and  combined with the colourful foliage it is  making  a very nice looking plant.

Oh and for interest, the first one to fruit was the Georgia Flame

Our tomatoes are doing well, some types are very big now,Ponderosa  is  the biggest so far and is huge.

So when the rain stops and the ground clears I think we will be well ahead for the end of the year clean up.

Oh well, lots of time to plan for next year!!

I do hope everyone else is hanging in there, it certainly has been a trying year.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2007, 22:47:11 »
Jeannine what a tale of woe. I hope you can cope with the positives. :-* :-*

Simba42

• Half Acre
    • Jen's Allotment
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2007, 22:50:28 »
Jeannine what a tale of woe. I hope you can cope with the positives. :-* :-*
Ditto

Hope things get better soon.... Sounds like your all having a rough time up there.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2007, 22:54:05 »
I understand it should be on the change by Wednesday.  Hopefully.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2007, 23:04:52 »
We are actually fine , it is depressing  as John has worked so hard this year, and mostly for me as he is not a big veggie eater, I feel  sorry for him more than the crops, but we are realistic too, it has happened  but we will get over it and as he says it is freak weather and is rare.

We will just order an organic box per week, I have never done that before so something  new to look forward  to.

Thank you again for your kind thoughts.

Our local forecast is rain for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesda, then 2 days of sun, then 2 more days of rain.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 23:07:22 by Jeannine »

curly kale

• Not So New ...
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2007, 11:19:40 »
This was my first year with an veg allotment and I think after all this it is going to be my last.  With global warming who knows if this kind of erratic weather is the shape of things to come.  I'll keep my first the allotment with the chickens and fruit trees on it but I can't afford to lose the kind of money (and time) I've put in to the veg allotment.... and the heart break of course.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2007, 12:03:58 »
 :) NO,NO,NO, Curly,

don't give up,

these things happen, and when the sun  shines again, hopefully you will feel differently :-\

take care /shades x
grow your own way

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2007, 13:09:46 »
Curly , don't do anything hasty, this is really a freak, I have never known it this bad,we are certainly not even attempting to plant anything else this year but it will not be an annual event I  feel certain.My plot has flooded in the winter but never at this time of the year.

Please don't decide now, talk to your neighbours, find out what is usual in your area.

We are going to extend our raised beds over the low area, even in the low greenhouse raising the inside floor by about 5 inches would have kept the crops safe.

Have a hug , a deep breath and think it through a bit longer.Please.

XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal