Author Topic: Our lotties are shot this year I think.I am so sad now  (Read 9516 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Our lotties are shot this year I think.I am so sad now
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 21:30:59 »
Thaqnk you, we will be fine.

I can't figure the ruddy weeds though, they are growing through puddles,and we can't stand on the ground to get at them. I tried today and it like standing on quicksand. I went in up to my ankles, slurp, slurp...

We have rain forcast for the next 7 days too.

I am laughing a bit now,the thought of John  having to rescue me as I slowly dropped from view.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 21:32:39 »
Aw Jeannine, my heart goes out to you. Your little squashes are coming along here and was about to post you a piccy. There are tougher things in life, and it's hard for you now, but you're a fighter Jeannine. You'll surprise us and yourself - big hug  :)
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 21:56:03 »
just saw this lots and lots of (((((((((hugs)))))))))))) in a few weeks you will find yourself having to water again
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 22:52:20 »
 :( :( :(

"What an absolute bummer!"

Go on, shout that out and shake your fist...it might make you feel a teensy bit better?
You could probably do with kicking something too.  Nothing too hard though ,you don't want an injured tootsie!

Feel really sorry for you. I'd be well fed up too. 

Did I tell you I dropped my mobile phone into a rock pool on Tuesday? Kapputt! Unfortunately it was a pressie from OH...he isn't impressed. Well, I hate the blinking things anyway... mobiles that is, not OH's...but this is the second one that the North Sea has claimed and I think he is suspicious  :D  :D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 22:59:27 »
Oh, Jeannine, I am sooo sorry to hear about your plots. After you have helped so many people on here get theirs going- life's just NOT FAIR and you have every right to moan! I was getting depressed last night because my plot was knee deep in weeds after all the rain, but at least the plants among the weeds are still there.
I do hope you can salvage something and that this d*** weather improves so you can sow some more soon. xxxxxx

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2007, 23:08:21 »
what about moving to growing watercress?

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2007, 23:24:36 »
This rain has been awful in more ways than one for a great many people but it surely doesn't help you to see the weeds triumph where your poor plants perished! But seriously Jeannine, I'm glad that you are feeling better. Your health is worth a dozen allotments.

Tricia

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2007, 23:31:09 »
:'( Jeannine,I'm so sorry to read this news, it's happened to so many hasn't it, I can't remember the land being so wet for so long before.....I seem to have been walking the dogs all winter in very muddy fields.....there is just no let up  :'( so when we get these storms, there is nowhere for the water to go  :( ......................chin up girl ;)
Life is to short !!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 08:27:42 »
I know the feeling! I've had similar experiences multiple times, till I managed enough earth shifting to keep most of the floods out, and make sure the unstoppable ones flowed straight off. If your soil doesn't drain, what you probably need is raised beds. Fortunately, floods like that one don't happen too often!

Meanwhile, put in some quick-maturing crops so you do at least get something, and plan a strategy for next year.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 09:03:36 »
Poor you, Jeannine. The lower-lying half of my plot is also standing three or more inches underwater. If Small Triff hadn't been there with me, I'd have let the tears come through. Like you, I've got to start over with all the beans. Just time, I think... it's only midsummer.

Big hugs and sympathy.
((Jeannine))

Shall we set up a rice-growing society?  ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 10:36:55 »
Has any one got any good recipes for couch grass omelette's or perhaps,nettle souffle, chickweed bread perhaps.

Well I have stopped bawling and I am sure we will re plant but not this week.

The one lottie which is half raised beds will be fully raised by the end of the season we think, so that will help, the other one I don't want to do raised beds as it is my Pumpkin Playground Patch.

Thanks for all the hugs,

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 10:45:57 »
How are you feeling? A bit better I hope.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 11:26:53 »
Echo Tims comment : Of all the people for this to happen to. Just can't believe it Jeannine, after the vandalism, now this? Was watching news last night and thinking I hope none of the a4aers are affected by this flooding. bummer. I know you and John will stay positive and keep at it- I wish i had a magic wand.
I had to have a little smile at the thought of you slowly disappearing into your plot.  :)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2007, 15:30:46 »
Sorry to hear your news, at least you havn't lost your sense of humour.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2007, 15:38:47 »
Oh no, the sense of humour stays even through the tears,it's a family thing I get from my Dad, we even managed a really good giggle at Mum's funeral.

My Mum had this impatient comment she used when my Dad was stuck behind slow drivers ..." Oh,'ell anybody would think we were going to a bloody funeral!!"

So, creeping 5 miles an hour following the hearse with my Dad, he said " If you Mum was in this car she would be saying..........."

We lost it, we started to laugh and cry at the same time, people who were watching us go past,cap in hand, were really confused.

No, there are too many ills in this world to worry about  lost cabbages.

XX Jeannine

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2007, 15:44:49 »
You are AMAZING Jeannine! I'd probably still be moping.  ;D
Your post about the funeral made me laugh. When my dad's dad died i was in car with my 2 sisters and 3 cousins. We were all laughing our heads off about things my grandad used to say and singing doo be doo, I wanna be like you-oo-ooo, as that's what he always played us EVERY visit from his Jungle Book record.
Also as a non practising Catholic he used to think it was hilarious in church when you do 'peace be with you' to say 'cheese be with you' so off we all went in the church, much to the annoyance of the stricter members of his side of the family!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Jenfur

• Quarter Acre
  • Eaton Bray, Beds
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2007, 16:52:00 »
Ah a bit of inappropriate laughter always the best kind I feel!! So sorry to hear what's been happening to everyone recently, this weather is absolutely unbelievable to us Southerners, we had a flood a month back but nothing like what you are describing. Lots of sympathy to you Jeannine and John and everyone else whose efforts have been destroyed by weather, vandals or anything else!! I really hope you can all bounce back somehow. I have some small Lil' Pumpkemons from you Jeannine that I would be glad to donate if I can get them to you and planting can be restarted :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2007, 17:14:26 »
Emmy that is priceless, and why not, he would have enjoyed the joke too.

The best one I ever knew about was a  friend whose Dad got very hot under the collar about the money spent on funerals. He was also very vocal about folks who spend a fortune on their cars.So much so that in his will he left strict instructions that it was to be done on the cheap and no big money was to be spent on fancy cars or posh ham salads.

He was grand old fella, real salt of the earth type, but his daughter was not, she was very materialistic which caused some words between them many times.

We all lived in a fairly remote small town in Canada at that time, one funeral director who doubled as  the local cars to hire man among other things.

Anyway Sally decided to ignore her Dad's request and lay it all on.

The day of the funeral happened to be the day of a big wedding  in town too, if you weren't at one , you were at the other.

Up comes the hearse with Dad in the back, shocked faces from the crowd as they all knew how he felt, off we all went, following in the posh limos she had ordered.
It was about 9 miles drive.

Halfway way there the  hearse conked out, no mobiles in those days, somebody phoned from a near by farm but all the other folks from the funeral parlour had gone to the wedding and there was no answer.

Dad's coffin was moved to the back of another car to finish his journey much to the embarrassment of Sally.

So he turned up at the cemetery in the only car long enough to take the coffin, which was borrowed from the farmer..a rusty old Chevvy station wagon, tied down with a bungy cord at the back, complete with smoky exhaust and back firing.

It was very difficult to not laugh at the graveside.

XX Jeannine

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2007, 17:39:47 »
I imagine he was rocking with laughter too. Poetic justice imho.

curly kale

• Not So New ...
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2007, 17:50:14 »
Jeannine, I've just seen this post... I'm not very far away from you (near Doncaster) and I've also pretty much lost the contents of my allotment in the same way that you have.    I can't believe how the weeds are coming up either.  I'm getting lots of that tall weed that looks like dandelions but I'm told is toxic to horses - and mares tail, of course.

Miserable, isn't it?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal