Author Topic: Our lotties are shot this year I think.I am so sad now  (Read 9601 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Our lotties are shot this year I think.I am so sad now
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2007, 20:55:58 »
AngleShades -  EAK

I would be panicing now and moving stuff upstairs...

we have blue sky here with quite fast moving clouds....eak

Stay safe, dry and sane.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2007, 08:51:09 »
Well it has stopped raining in my part of Hull, and the water level has gone down in my garden, it never got into my house.

A call came today that school is closed for the week.

I presume when the water goes down and we can get in we will be all there cleaning it out, but I would presume my office is shot now along with the others.

We did OK in the end, 4 staff members that I know of have been flooded  from different parts of the town and there will be a lot of homes around the school.

For a minute or two it was sunny, but the dark clouds have just blown in.

We are going to look at the lottie shortly.

I hope eveyone else is doing OK.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2007, 09:04:20 »
 :) stopped raining here, and it has dried up a lot as still quite breezy ::)

got to clear up the garden and then take a trip to the lottie

take care/ shades x

grow your own way

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2007, 09:09:10 »
good news people, anyone treatened by this dam?

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2007, 09:20:33 »
Hope everyone is OK, the news is grim from up north.  And there's more on the way.  Hold in there, folks, there has to be an end to it, the sooner the better.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2007, 09:26:09 »
Some areas of Hull are still deep in water,I jsu talked to a teacher who said the road outside is a river and people are canoing on it, goodness knows why because all the sewers have overflowed and the smell is awful.

We have rain foreacst still for the next three days.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2007, 09:31:22 »
Oh dear Jeannine! I've got fingers and toes crossed that it eases off. Maybe you should do that haggis hunt sooner rather than later! ;)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2007, 10:27:04 »
Aww Jeannine, things could have been so much worse for you...but they are pretty darn bad enough I think.  If there are any seeds you want or you want us to sow some stuff for you let me know know! :-*

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2007, 12:09:03 »
take photos i would love to see whats been going on!!

You might also be able to sell the photos to various gardeners magazines :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2007, 12:47:36 »
Well we just went out.

1st stop the Lottie, completely under water a 2 feet or more , fireman were outside the gates pumping water from the flooded houses nearby,

Couple of lottoe owners outside who said "no chance to get in all the greenhouses are now flooded  so all the toms will be deadand no-one will have any this year.In I went, down the road ,men yelling I couldn't do anything. Water was way above my knees(nickies got wet) and out I came with two huge plants in big pots full of green tomatoes, as I go back to the main road, I winked and said, "Well lads ,some of us are going to have tomatoes"  We are going to have another go tomorrow for more

The water was above the level of the pots which were embedded in grow bags.

One of my 10 foot raised beds had actually floated off away about three feet and all the other beds were under water with just the top 3 inches of growth sticking out of the water on the onions.

So the whole lottie in completely under water now.

All three green houses will have had it. All except my hot peppers which were growing on staging

Next stop was school via several detours we managed to get there, It sits in a dip so we got to the gate,looking across the playground the water was half way up the doors on every building.

We ventured into the estate till the water was too deep for the car. I walked in to see a few parents, 4 streets full of houses were flooded, the water in the street was higher than the lottie. Everyone was in remarkably good spirits.

So that was my day out.

Is everyone else OK

XX Jeannine

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2007, 12:50:48 »
It's bad enough losing fruit and veg and plants in the garden, but to have the house flooded is unimaginable.  Those poor, poor people.  If only it would stop, but there's more forecast for the weekend.  >:( :(
The Tuscan Beaneater

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2007, 12:58:20 »
Jeannine,

You are a brave woman, i would not have gone near the water or taken the car out !!

Good luck with getting your tomatos out tomorrow :-)

I just hope that the people have house insurance, i dont understand why people would not have house insurance!!

cambourne7

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2007, 13:10:51 »
Cam, I could not resist it. The man who had most to say was one of the few I can't stand. His belongs the bare foot, pregant or in the kitchen club when it comes to women, he hates evreybody if they are not male, older than 50,white,English, and from Yorkshire. Everything and everybody else is a source of scorn to him. If I had access to a barrow, I would have brought the lot.

XX Jeannine

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2007, 13:23:36 »
I dont blame you, yes we have one of those, lectures everyone on what they should be doing.

I hope you stuck it to him good!!

Just checked the weather and were in for a drenching tonight and tomorrow they saying maybe an inch or 2 - eak!!

There also saying that the weather is going to get bad up your way at the weekend!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 13:37:08 by cambourne7 »

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2007, 13:41:49 »
Ahhh at least you saved something.  The high end of my 2 plots was up to 6" deep in water today.  Fortnuately teh chooks have a bit of dry ground.

All the beetroot is under 3 inches and one lot of maincrop pots.

Wellies leaked, though they werent much use anyway as the water was deeper in most places than the height of my ankle wellies so had wet feet.

Poor squashes are water logged so no idea how they will fare... given that my plot is the last one up there that drains i think i will prob lose the lot too.

Oh and to top it off my water butt is still no more full than it has been?????

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2007, 16:32:41 »
my thoughts are with you all i cannot imagine what it must be like!! i heard a loud drip as i was cleaning the youth club yesterday am i was afraid the ceiling
would come down(it,s happened in the past in another part of the building we got the stepladder out and removed a tile and relieve it was the top gone from a air vent ::)
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2007, 16:42:59 »
I still have my Blaby tom and  my Whippersnapper as they had been sent my other members and I kept them at home

I have 2 Micro Toms at home too and now 2 very loaded Tumblers.

If we do manage to get any of the others home they will have to stay outside, but we think they are perhaps tp big to move and are well and truly tied in.

In parts of the area they  are still sand bagging some areas that have drained as we are told it is coming again.

You know it is amazing what one gets used to.

XX Jeannine

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2007, 17:13:25 »
I honestly cannot believe this weather - its happening in australia too who have been in drought for over 3 years... so both sides of the world is suffering... one wonders if it will ever end. I'm jsut praying for a gorgeous july and august - after all we bloody deserve it!

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2007, 20:25:49 »
 :)too right Olive!

been to plot ,it's under a few inches of water, managed to get some spuds by putting rubber gloves on and feeling around in the gunge for them, and then washing them in surrounding water,it's easier than digging them up :)

picked loads of broad beans which are easier to pick now they are flat to the ground ::)and shelled them at the plot in water logged boots :)

it hasn't rained today which is a god send

I have to walk down the river bank which ever way i go to my plot

the river is coming over in some places and all the houses have loads of sand bags at their doors and worried house holders stood watching the river

as I've mentioned before like most allotments ours are on a flood plane, so if the river goes over another inch we have had it,but the house holders will lose so much more which will be harder to replace/ shades x
grow your own way

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2007, 09:25:05 »
Well it is brilliant sunshine in Hull today..OOoohhhhhhhhhhh. Fingers crossed.

Is everyone else OK

OOPS. just read the forecast, rain for the next 7 days!!

Jeannine
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 09:31:01 by Jeannine »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal