Author Topic: Our lotties are shot this year I think.I am so sad now  (Read 9537 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Our lotties are shot this year I think.I am so sad now
« on: June 21, 2007, 17:36:43 »
i managed to get out for a little while today and go to the lottie.

We had gone on Sunday after all the rains and thought it was going to be OK.

Today...I cried.

Almost everything on the flat ground is ruined.

John has pulled out all the broad beans, the caulis,broccoli, turnips, swede,and most of the cabbages.

They had all flattened out today and were obviously in real trouble.

On closer inspection they are still sitting in water, the level is about an inch below the soil, so they have been soaking now for almost a week,most of the roots have rotted off,we pulled a cabbage and the roots stayed in the ground,some of the pools of water around are smelly and a bit bubbly. What we pulled up had mushy bits in it and stank .

The brussels we left as they were sort of standing. The spuds were looking sad but were standing too, they are on a tad higher ground but the tubers must still be under water??

All my assorted heirloom beans look like they have had it, we left them just in case.

To make matters worse, I think every slug in the neighbourhood crawled up into our raised beds to escape the water and have now dined on all my beetroot,carrots,lettuce etc. They haven't touched the parsnips and there are spuds still in two raised beds, I think the onions, garlic and shallots might be OK too.

I had put all my winter brassicas out to harden them off under a net, they were under water,we rescued them  as the rains came down but it was too late, they have had it.

The other lottie which was to take all my replacement squash is a lake if you go down an inch so all my babies ready to go out are suffering as they have now out grown their pots, and it is impossible to plant them.

One greenhouse which is in a low end was well flooded and I think the melons in there will have had it too.

The tomatoes, peppers,cukes and aubs, which are in the other 2 greenhouses seem OK for now. They were a bit higher.

I had no weeds 2 weeks ago, now they are coming up just fine,

And to top it all, it has started raining again.

We are going to have to replant all the carrots etc and all the brassicas.

I can't believe the state of the area now as compared to the pictures we put on 2 weeks ago.

We will no doubt re group but right now I feel sick.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Our lotties are shot this year I think.I am so sad now
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 17:47:07 »
Oh dear.  You have our sympathy, FWIW.  There's real love that goes into a lottie, I realise, and it's dispiriting even to lose a little bit to the weather.  To be inundated must be heartbreaking.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 17:48:04 »
Jeannine, I am so sorry to read your post, I have just come back from my allotment upset because the rabbits have been eating my plants but now I feel guilty about being upset, yours sounds so much worse.  I hope things pick up for you soon.   :(

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 17:53:26 »
Of all people for it to happen to................

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 17:58:10 »
i am really sorry to hear how bad it is for you up there. its really devestating isnt it after all the hard work and love you put into it. i think once the dissapointment eases you just have to put it down to the weather conditions this year and take it on the chin as much as ou can.. its a bummer but theres alway snext year. and theres always us lot to talk to about it cos you know we understand  :-*

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 18:01:31 »
Jeannine how sad............hopefully it will drain away soon and you will still have time to plant stuff. I would be devastated if it happened to mine, sending you cyber hugs. I am sure there are a few of us more than willing to send you spare stuff to help you get back going again........not the same as losing things like your heritage beans, but a start!
I may have some kale and purple sprouting, and if they ever show lettuces!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 18:18:07 »
Jeannine really, really sorry to hear about your crops. After all the hard work you and John have put in you must be devastated. I hope you manage to salvage some or still have time to sow more. Take care and try not to have more sleepless nights.
Lorna.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 18:20:00 »
 :'(

Aww Jeannine, I am so sorry. You have my heartfelt sympathy. I cannot imagine how it must feel for you.

Don't forget that there is always next year?

;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 18:28:48 »
I should just stop feeling sorry for myself.

I have been off work ill all week while they have been trying to mop up our school without me, the school was 8 inches under water and all the poopy drains flooded in to the half the classrooms,and my rooms which I only got refurbished last year.

Many of the houses round about the school also had the sewers flood into the house, so the loss of my veggies is diddly really. I guess it is the realisation when it hits you.

We have seeds etc, but it is like a face slap.

Thank you all for your concern.

I feel most for John, he has been there everyday working like mad and he has to start all over again just when it was all falling into place.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 18:46:33 »
:) if its any consolation Jeannine the weather is affecting most lottie holders and there plots :(

here in Lincoln we have had 5 thunder storms in a week and torrential rain most of the time,

my plot is flattened but not under water as luckily  my plot is on a hill, but some of my fellow lottie holders plots are under water, :(

but things like this only bring out the good in people, as you know from this site :)

If you need anything let us know, best wishes/ angle shades  :-*
grow your own way

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 18:49:28 »
Just found this thread. So sorry Jeannine and John :'( That is really rotten for you.

I hope you manage to salvage some things and get more going.

It looks like the weather will be drying up a bit over the weekend. Here's hoping it dries your lottie up pretty sharpish.

Thinking of you both.

cj :)

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 19:29:29 »
Just to repeat, am so sorry for you both. Hope things dry out quickly and you'll be able to rescue more...
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 19:48:31 »
Hello Jeannine

Shame all that work that you and john have put in is ruined  i hope you sort your plot our soon and least you managed to salvage some crops, I wish it would stop raining and dry up.

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 19:56:21 »
Oh Jeannine, I am so sorry to hear about the water damage to your crops at the lottie.   :'( We can all sympathise with you, because we know how much work goes into having an allotment, and especially how much you have done there. Sometimes though you know plants are quite resiliant  and you might be able to rescue more than you think, once water finally drains away.  No wonder you are feeling so down, which will have been made worse because you are not well at the moment. Just want to send you a big hug of sympathy.  :-* busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

goldendaisy123

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 19:58:09 »
It's a sad time for you Jeaninne but hopefully you will turn it all around again. If you need anything there are lots of us only too willing to offer help and support.
Good Luck , we are thinking of you.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 19:59:43 »
There is nothing we can say that will put it right.  You must be absolutely gutted.  Even a very big cyberhug won't make it better.
The Tuscan Beaneater

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 20:04:18 »
Honey I've been out sorting my garden all day so only found this post now.  You must feel so let down. I'm so so sorry. I think this is global warming starting to impact on our lives. We need to put pressure on politicians to make sure that flood protection for example is on place and that drainage is massively improved.

Big hugs Jeannine and John.
Anne

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 20:18:46 »
Awww Jeannine have a hug!

You must feel so bad.  But don't dispair too much - in a couple of weeks the water will have drained away and things will look brighter.  Get some bigger pots for the squashes - you CAN save them, go to asda and get the flower buckets and pot them on!

Everything else you have lost, but think of the space for the other things you can now sow/plant.

All is NOT lost Jeannine - just a run of bad luck and bad weather.  Things will get better :-)

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 21:10:54 »
Bad luck Jeannine and John.

In a few weeks when the ground is baked hard from all the sun and no rain then you will wonder if it was all a bad dream.  I'm sure with your combined experience and enthusiasm you will be able to rescue enough to get you through the season.

Chin up chuck.

Love Sand and Stanley

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 21:21:19 »
oh Jeannie, I'm so sorry to read your post - I really hope things improve and that once you've got over the devestation and upset that you find some enthusiasm and resilliance for the future.  Is there anything we can do to help ?

mc x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal